Thank You 52bore!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
See what you went and done LOL!! That darn Navy Arms thread you started got me interested enough to go back and talk that Ole boy out of it. This is definitely a brand new unfired rifle, .58 Cal Navy Arms Hawken Hunter

nYaCr6S.jpg

X0LpYQd.jpg

7HKfUiF.jpg

F7aVoBV.jpg

492Nwmd.jpg

A few more. This new phone doesn’t take near as good of pictures as my old one

lKo9CL0.jpg

8LEW1Jo.jpg

JAhO4KT.jpg

This is kind of a neat write up on the Rifle

The Navy Arms "Hawken Hunter" was a pet project of Mr. Val Forgett, the late founder of the company. It was designed to use Minie type bullets with huge powder charges, and was personally used by Mr. Forgett to take elephant, cape buffalo, hippo and other large game in Africa. The power charge used was 175 gr. 3FG, with a 610 gr. minie bullet. 58 cal. 26" barrel twist=1/60" Case Colored Lock with brass hardware. Designed to handle the heaviest loads safely and accurately. The Lyman Muzzle Loader hand book lists loads up to 190 grs of 2FF with the 577611 Lyman bullet @ 530 grs using Crisco for lube. Lyman book describes Val Forgett, owner of Navy Arms as shooting 180gr of 3FFF behind the 610 gr minnie (Lyman 577611) They got consistent 4.5" groups at 100 yards. See page 20 in this book for the entire six page story. They got elephants, hippos, wildebeest, sable, cape buffalo, lions, antelope, zebra, wildebeast, hartebeeste, bushbuck, duiker, impalla and others with the 58 cal big rifle.

Nice score Lewis, Any plans to go after any really BIG game.

I've read the Val Forgett article you referred to, he certainly wasn't a novice but rather had big band in the Black Powder revival. Another muzzleloader his company produced that has peaked my interest is the Hawken Hurricane in both 45 and 50 Caliber. When a lot of companies were promoting guns to shoot round balls he was looking to shoot larger chunks of lead usually a minie.

Saxtonyoung said:
Nice score Lewis, Any plans to go after any really BIG game.

I've read the Val Forgett article you referred to, he certainly wasn't a novice but rather had big band in the Black Powder revival. Another muzzleloader his company produced that has peaked my interest is the Hawken Hurricane in both 45 and 50 Caliber. When a lot of companies were promoting guns to shoot round balls he was looking to shoot larger chunks of lead usually a minie.

Sax, No real plans, tho i could see me shooting an Elk with this one! I’m not sure i can live long enough to figure out all of these rifles likes, and dislikes? LOL! I simply love Muzzleloaders!! The inlines don’t do much for me, Tho i would love to find a really nice Stainless MK-85 one of these days just for the cool factor, But that’s gonna have to be the perfect deal, and cheap, I’m in no hurry. I am an ABSOLUTE sucker for a Quality Sidelock! :D This Navy Arms is Built like a TANK!

I Plan to shoot Roundball mostly in this .58, No doubt i will get a Big Minie for it, Lyman 577611, i am Actually leaning more toward Lyman 575213 PH Minie (566 Grain Parker Hale Style) Not sure which I’ll get? All of em knowing me :lol:

Lee has 3 minie molds that may work for that caliber, their 285 grain round ball mold would certainly be no slouch eithier.

Saxtonyoung said:
Lee has 3 minie molds that may work for that caliber, their 285 grain round ball mold would certainly be no slouch eithier.

From What i understand these rifles are 1:60 Twist? Seems awful slow for any type of bullet? But Mr. Forgett shot them Accurate enough to Hunt All Dangerous Game in Africa, I will get a mold and give it a try! Probably Lyman 577611 at 530 Grains, Same bullet Forgett used

The trigger is on the HEAVY side for my liking, but it’s doubtful i will ever mess with it, For a BIG Dangerous Game type rifle a guy wouldn’t want an ounce type set trigger. I have simply spoiled myself with really light triggers from a Bench, it’s hard to shoot a 5 pound trigger when you have been shooting 12-14 ounce, to 2-1/2 lb Max. The thing i need to keep in mind with this rifle is it was not ever intended to shoot precision 1,000 yard matches LOL, It is a Dangerous Game Rifle, 100 yards is probably a Max Realistic number, And more like Point Blank to 50 yards, killing things that were intent on killing you! It will be a Fun Rifle, And a darn cool addition to my Collection!

This Navy Arms Hawken Hunter is a SERIOUS built Rifle, I have always felt like TC Sidelocks were the most durable out there? No doubt about it This Navy Arms has my TC’s beat

1-60" twist makes this ideal for round balls and slow for bullets . I believe this is why he was using such heavy charges of black powder with a heavy bullet, get higher velocity leaving the barrel forcing it to stabilize and of course the obvious reason that he was hunting the largest game on earth.

Saxtonyoung said:
1-60" twist makes this ideal for round balls and slow for bullets . I believe this is why he was using such heavy charges of black powder with a heavy bullet, get higher velocity leaving the barrel forcing it to stabilize and of course the obvious reason that he was hunting the largest game on earth.

FULLY Agree! :yeah:

We'll I'll be.. That's Great.
I have not done anything with my barrel blank - yet. Had to go back and look at the old post - 58. It was the 3-groove that really got me thinking and discovering the NA Hawken Hunter. Glad you were able to obtain it.!
Do you find the stock larger in diameter in the wrist and forearm, or maybe overall?

What's the protrusion on the back of the breech plug?

How big is that barrel across the flats? Looks like a bigun for sure.

52Bore said:
What's the protrusion on the back of the breech plug?

That protrusion is a half moon shape piece, it sits in the upper/rear Cross bolt to the Lock. Same thing with the bottom of the barrel, that shiny bolt size notch cut, It mates with the Bottom forward Cross bolt. These bolts are MUCH MUCH heavier duty than my TC’s, The Single Tang bolt goes down through the stock and threads in the Trigger Metal. Everything mates up tight, and locks down REALLY solid.

I did some measurements on this NA stock vs my TC’s and they are actually closer than they feel to me? The Navy Arms is slightly thicker in every measurement i made, but its not all that much. A Lot of the ‘HEFT’ feel has to do with the 1-1/8” Across the Flats barrel, This rifle weighs right on 10 pounds, i weigh 219 without it, and 229 with it.

Idaholewis said:
This is kind of a neat write up on the Rifle

The Navy Arms "Hawken Hunter" was a pet project of Mr. Val Forgett, the late founder of the company. It was designed to use Minie type bullets with huge powder charges, and was personally used by Mr. Forgett to take elephant, cape buffalo, hippo and other large game in Africa. The power charge used was 175 gr. 3FG, with a 610 gr. minie bullet. 58 cal. 26" barrel twist=1/60" Case Colored Lock with brass hardware. Designed to handle the heaviest loads safely and accurately. The Lyman Muzzle Loader hand book lists loads up to 190 grs of 2FF with the 577611 Lyman bullet @ 530 grs using Crisco for lube. Lyman book describes Val Forgett, owner of Navy Arms as shooting 180gr of 3FFF behind the 610 gr minnie (Lyman 577611) They got consistent 4.5" groups at 100 yards. See page 20 in this book for the entire six page story. They got elephants, hippos, wildebeest, sable, cape buffalo, lions, antelope, zebra, wildebeast, hartebeeste, bushbuck, duiker, impalla and others with the 58 cal big rifle.

Interesting read
Thanks for posting this learn something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back