The thrice cursed flichlock....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in Oz

Reaction score
G'day lads, 

I had a better day today on the range, 50 yards, offhand, off body loading with my pedersoli 50 cal flint lock.

I was aiming at the bull but i think next time i'll lift my aim to the 12 o clock position, that should drop everything into the black. :)

img_5210.jpg

a suggestion. use patches that are tight when you load. use a starter and a very small mallet. use a ball that is only 5 thousands under top of lads size. cut off at the muzzle a ball set 1/8the below the muzle crown cut off patch material at the muzzle with o straight razor or as sharp patch knife. place ball on powder but never ever ever tamp down after placed on the powder. wipe between rounds. with this method you will print hole is holes at any range. i like pure linen for patch material. their is nothing wrong with 100 percent pure cotton denim. or material from old levi jeans as long as it is pure cotton. lube with utter balm or thompson bore butter. about the same thing both work good on the skin for a bug bite also. if you do this our friend, you will drive tacks at any range. with this method at a range out side of bismark n.dak i made a fat rich guy pack up his 300 mag wetherby and go home cussing as at 100 yards i was gwetting 1/2 groups at 100 yards with a custom 50 cal hawken i built and later gave to my law enforcement son and that fat ediot was getting huge groups at 100 yards even with a 9 power scope. he left cussing his gun and never saw him again. i could have told him it was the wrong length bullet for the twist rate he had in that rifle. beside did he ever clean his gun. NO. he may have had crud build up infront of the bullet which undersized it and you cant get groups that way. can you ever tell fat assed rich bullies anything, No. but i sure made him look like a monkey on a stick on a organ grinder. do what i recommended and you will be surprised at the accuracy you can get. remember a flinter took out a english officer at 200 and 18 yards with a standing off hand shot throrgh the head at the battle of new orleans. some here say it never happened, i like to believe it did. i took a doe 50 yards south of the canadian border with a 45 cal round ball at 175 yards. thats a real fact. i used a top of a old fence post for a rest. it was 25 below zero with out the windchill factor. greatest shot i ever made. she jumped a little into the air then when straight down. just before that shot i took a huge coon out of a big oak tree at 50 yards off hand. i aimed at his chest and thats where the ball went. still have his tanned hide hanging next to my tommahawk down stairs. for years my 19 year old son hugged that coon skin like a teddy bear as he slept while he was growing up. never ruined it. still looks good. maybe he should take it to college with him this fall.

Mike in Oz said:
I was aiming at the bull but i think next time i'll lift my aim to the 12 o clock position, that should drop everything into the black. :)
Probably time too, to start filing away the top of the front sight. A little at a time, with shooting confirmation after each reduction, and you should have it hitting right where you want.

Mike that looks promising, in fact  a good improvement.   Were you using a full sight at the black? If so perhaps a little more powder to lift the poi.   I won't be back this Wed, staying for a weeks overtime.  Don't tamp the ball when seated as Strong Eagle suggests!

cheers 

Gordon

Mike
It looks to me like it would put some of those hopping elk you have over there on the BBQ. With a cooler full of some of that Aussie beer what more could you ask for.

BrownBear said:
Mike in Oz said:
Probably time too, to start filing away the top of the front sight. A little at a time, with shooting confirmation after each reduction, and you should have it hitting right where you want.
I've got to admit I've considered doing that but I'm just loathe to take a file to my rifle. I can feel the spectres of every DI I've ever known screaming at me for considering it..... :lol!:

heelerau said:
Mike that looks promising, in fact  a good improvement.   Were you using a full sight at the black? If so perhaps a little more powder to lift the poi.   I won't be back this Wed, staying for a weeks overtime.  Don't tamp the ball when seated as Strong Eagle suggests!

cheers 

Gordon
Cheers mate! :D  Yes mate, full sight picture. Really? maybe five grains and see what happens?

Frick. Come back soon bud, its boring without you **** talking on the range! :ss:

Okay, okay, i'll try it! ;)

BigAl52 said:
Mike
It looks to me like it would put some of those hopping elk you have over there on the BBQ. With a cooler full of some of that Aussie beer what more could you ask for.
Yeah nah mate, I'd never shoot a roo, that'd be illegal without a permit. :D

Although I'm told that roo makes an awesome spagbol! ;)

Mmmmmm beer!

strong eagle said:
a suggestion. use patches that are tight when you load. use a starter and a very small mallet. use a ball that is only 5 thousands under top of lads size. cut off at the muzzle a ball set 1/8the below the muzle crown cut off patch material at the muzzle with o straight razor or as sharp patch knife. place ball on powder but never ever ever tamp down after placed on the powder. wipe between rounds. with this method you will print hole is holes at any range. i like pure linen for patch material. their is nothing wrong with 100 percent pure cotton denim. or material from old levi jeans as long as it is pure cotton. lube with utter balm or thompson bore butter. about the same thing both work good on the skin for a bug bite also. if you do this our friend, you will drive tacks at any range. with this method at a range out side of bismark n.dak i made a fat rich guy pack up his 300 mag wetherby and go home cussing as at 100 yards i was gwetting 1/2 groups at 100 yards with a custom 50 cal hawken i built and later gave to my law enforcement son and that fat ediot was getting huge groups at 100 yards even with a 9 power scope. he left cussing his gun and never saw him again. i could have told him it was the wrong length bullet for the twist rate he had in that rifle. beside did he ever clean his gun. NO. he may have had crud build up infront of the bullet which undersized it and you cant get groups that way. can you ever tell fat assed rich bullies anything, No. but i sure made him look like a monkey on a stick on a organ grinder. do what i recommended and you will be surprised at the accuracy you can get. remember a flinter took out a english officer at 200 and 18 yards with a standing off hand shot throrgh the head at the battle of new orleans. some here say it never happened, i like to believe it did. i took a doe 50 yards south of the canadian border with a 45 cal round ball at 175 yards. thats a real fact. i used a top of a old fence post for a rest. it was 25 below zero with out the windchill factor. greatest shot i ever made. she jumped a little into the air then when straight down. just before that shot i took a huge coon out of a big oak tree at 50 yards off hand. i aimed at his chest and thats where the ball went. still have his tanned hide hanging next to my tommahawk down stairs. for years my 19 year old son hugged that coon skin like a teddy bear as he slept while he was growing up. never ruined it. still looks good. maybe he should take it to college with him this fall.
I'll give it a go mate.  :)

Mike in Oz said:
BrownBear said:
Mike in Oz said:
I've got to admit I've considered doing that but I'm just loathe to take a file to my rifle. I can feel the spectres of every DI I've ever known screaming at me for considering it..... :lol!:
It's pretty much a standard treatment for Pedersoli's and lots of others with fixed sights. The front sights are left a little long so you can "sight in" with a file or hone.  It's inconvenient if you mess up and cut too much, but not insurmountable. Replacements are cheap, widely available and easy to install. 

Try shooting at 75 or 100 yards with your current POI, and I'm fairly certain you'll become enthused about a slightly shorter front sight. :D

BrownBear said:
Mike in Oz said:
BrownBear said:
Mike in Oz said:
It's pretty much a standard treatment for Pedersoli's and lots of others with fixed sights. The front sights are left a little long so you can "sight in" with a file or hone.  It's inconvenient if you mess up and cut too much, but not insurmountable. Replacements are cheap, widely available and easy to install. 

Try shooting at 75 or 100 yards with your current POI, and I'm fairly certain you'll become enthused about a slightly shorter front sight. :D
You know, i've never shot it beyond 50 yards. Just for shits n giggles i'll give it a go this weekend, just to see what happens!

Mike in Oz said:
BrownBear said:

You know, i've never shot it beyond 50 yards. Just for shits n giggles i'll give it a go this weekend, just to see what happens!
And after that, try a 200 yard (Is Australia metric?). First time I tried 200, I shot at a 5 foot tall iron black bear target. I got it to ring, but it is weird how high above the head I had to aim! Talk about a drop!

(Of course, I am talking side locks. I know some of you in line and Sharps guys are chuckling.)

Kentucky Colonel said:
Mike in Oz said:
BrownBear said:

And after that, try a 200 yard (Is Australia metric?). First time I tried 200, I shot at a 5 foot tall iron black bear target. I got it to ring, but it is weird how high above the head I had to aim! Talk about a drop!

(Of course, I am talking side locks. I know some of you in line and Sharps guys are chuckling.)
Mate the whole world is metric, only you yanks still use the imperial system!   :ss:

Let me see how i get on at 75 and 100 before i start thinking about silly distances eh?  :D

Mike in Oz said:
Kentucky Colonel said:
Mike in Oz said:
BrownBear said:

Mate the whole world is metric, only you yanks still use the imperial system!  

:ss:
LOL Don't make me go all 'Quigley Down Under' on ya'

Mike in Oz said:

Just some unsolicited advice:  Keep tabs of your POI and trajectory as you stretch the range beyond 50. I've found great happiness in sighting my rifles to hit point of aim at 75 yards. With somewhat average velocities (for me) that results in a POI very near point of aim at 25 yards, an inch or so high at 50 and around 6" low at 100. All very useful for hunting.  Sighting in at 50 yards results in a point of impact more like 10-12" low at 100 yards.

Watch what you guys tell this guy, we could have him in and out of court on a regular bases.   :shock:   :ttups:

Hey Mate how are you kid.   :thumbs up:

Buck Conner said:
Watch what you guys tell this guy, we could have him in and out of court on a regular bases.   :shock:   :ttups:

Hey Mate how are you kid.   :thumbs up:
LOL I'm good Buck, looking forward to the range on Sunday, hows yourself? :)

But I still use only the imperial system,  rods, chains, pound shillings and pence, this new froggy system will  like those newfangled brass manglers, will never catch on.  
    I did so enjoy filling up  in the states with proper gallons even if they are US and mph. !!

Back