The word “Weapon” used to describe your Blackpowder Rifle or Pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Us "old crusty and crude former military members" earned the right to call them anything we want. Depending on the circumstances at the time they were weapons, rifles or any other damned thing we chose to call them at the time.
The majority of us don't give a s*** about being politically correct either for what it's worth.
That said I do refer to my guns as rifles and pistols, at least until they come after them.
At that point they will become "weapons" once again, and those that still can know how to use them.

Us "old crusty and crude former military members" earned the right to call them anything we want. Depending on the circumstances at the time they were weapons, rifles or any other damned thing we chose to call them at the time.
The majority of us don't give a s*** about being politically correct either for what it's worth.
That said I do refer to my guns as rifles and pistols, at least until they come after them.
At that point they will become "weapons" once again, and those that still can know how to use them.
F*ckin' A right...my thoughts exactly. Too many busybodies in this world telling me I ought to think like they do...piss on that. You do you you...I'll do me. You need my help? Ask...if I can I will.

Thread was locked because it was starting to get too much into...you know.....It gave us time to review it all and for a few to cool down a tiny bit.

If you guys want to vent i get it. Pretty sure all the posts are fine and nothing has been deleted.

There is no reason for anyone to get uptight over this, The reason i started the Topic was I thought it was interesting, and would make a Good Topic for ADULT discussion. We live in a Free Country, It’s your Right, Freedom of Speech to Call your Rifle, Shotgun, Revolver, Pistol, Etc. Whatever you want to? Me personally, as a Civilian, I find the Word “Weapon” a POOR way to Describe a Firearm. That doesn’t mean I would look down at you, or think less of you if you Choose to refer to your Firearms as “Weapons” Ultimately it’s your Choice :lewis:

I do not refere to my guns as weapons I look at them as a thing of beauty the mix of wood and steel my friends call me a gun nut but in mixed company I refer to myself as a firearms enthusiast so all that said bottom line my guns are weapons

It depends what you’re doing with it, it’s not a weapon if you’re hunting or target shooting or if it’s just sitting on your cleaning bench. If you’re wearing it under your shirt, it’s a weapon.

There is no reason for anyone to get uptight over this, The reason i started the Topic was I thought it was interesting, and would make a Good Topic for ADULT discussion. We live in a Free Country, It’s your Right, Freedom of Speech to Call your Rifle, Shotgun, Revolver, Pistol, Etc. Whatever you want to? Me personally, as a Civilian, I find the Word “Weapon” a POOR way to Describe a Firearm. That doesn’t mean I would look down at you, or think less of you if you Choose to refer to your Firearms as “Weapons” Ultimately it’s your Choice :lewis:
I believe that from this day forward I will refer to my muzzle loader as
MY IMPLEMENT OF DESTRUCTION

i agree . I dont much like the word weapon as the preferential way of referring to a gun .
it can be a weapon if need be , and a darn good one but most of the time for me it is a TOOL . And a darn good one.
it is a tool that can be used as a weapon if need be. That's my view anyway.
Kinda like referring to a .223 as an assault rifle. Gives it a negative connotation
I agree with most replies above but I'll go one further. I know I'm in the minority due to their popularity but it rubs me the wrong way with all the sales hype about the AR-15 style firearms as being "Modern Sporting Firearms". To me a sporting firearm is metal and wood and without a magazine capacity that borders on ridiculous. I know I'm old school.

I'm late to the party here, but we regularly refer to any firearm as "weapons", with the caveat that we use the term mockingly, and say it with a crappy WW2 German accent, as in: "Vere did you put das vipins?"

a17a12a4b05ca86faabd50add1ca9856.jpg

Latest posts

Back