Thoughts on cheaper rangefinders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the Vortex unlimited lifetime warranty, I’d seriously consider jumping on eBay and grabbing a Vortex 850 or 1000 for about $100. There are lots of them selling on there in your range for $80-120. If it ever quits on you then send it in to Vortex. They'll fix it or send you a new one no questions asked.
the only problem with vortex is you need the full warranty because they're Chinese made s*** how an American veteran owned company has all their stuff made in China I'll never figure out

Ok guys don't hammer on me to hard. I know that Thursday I said that I should look at some rangefinders first hand so that I could see for myself what I thought. But I talked to my brother-in-law last night and he said that his son had an AOFAR HX-700N Hunting Range Finder and liked it. Said he had used it a few times and thought it would be ok for what I need. So I ordered one this morning off of Amazon. For $67 and some change and over 6000 reviews I thought what the heck I will give it a try. Once I get it I will try it out and give you all my thoughts on it.
Go for it!!

Range finders can be deceiving. Pay close attention to "Range". It may say that it will read to 600yds but, that's only on a highly reflective target, such as a building. For animals such as a deer, it may only be accurate to only 200yds.
This is very true. We have a $400 Sig Kilo rangefinder that is great in most situations, but only good to about 700-800yds on deer. Had to step up to a really high dollar Leica to get beyond that. And it will actually range a deer at over 2000.

For what most folks need, for a few hundred bucks you can buy a quality rangefinder. Very impressed with the Sig Kilo series for sure.

I used a Simmons for years and think I paid 49.99 for it. Finally traded it in on a Leupold a couple years ago. Never had any problems with it even after it fell from the truck going down the road.

Ok guys so my rangefinder (the Aofar HX-700N) came the other day. I have had a chance to test it a little and will have to say for $68 I am satisfied with my purchase. It is a basic rangefinder. Functions are: distance (meters or yards) and speed (m/s only).
I am not a fan of the speed function but it's not a big deal since I don't plan on using it. As far as ranging distances, it seems to work good enough for me. I tested on measured distances 20 to 100 yards and it worked as stated (+ or - 1 yard). I will eventually test out to 200 yards when I have time.
Overall,for a cheaper rangefinder, I think this one will serve me well.

Ok guys so my rangefinder (the Aofar HX-700N) came the other day. I have had a chance to test it a little and will have to say for $68 I am satisfied with my purchase. It is a basic rangefinder. Functions are: distance (meters or yards) and speed (m/s only).
I am not a fan of the speed function but it's not a big deal since I don't plan on using it. As far as ranging distances, it seems to work good enough for me. I tested on measured distances 20 to 100 yards and it worked as stated (+ or - 1 yard). I will eventually test out to 200 yards when I have time.
Overall,for a cheaper rangefinder, I think this one will serve me well.
What’s the magnification? And how good are the optics? Especially at low light.

My thought is do without til you can afford a decent one.
Same camp.
My Daughter and son-in-law from North Dakota Just came yesterday, And I asked him what he used, and he said his has one built into his binoculars. Said they costs around $1600, could read to 2000 yards. He hunts Canada and different places, I guess the sky's the limit.
Squint
10 to 15 years ago I had aspirations to hunt Elk out west, African plains game and Red Stag in New Zealand. In preparation I purchased a 'middle-of-the-road' Zeiss Victory PRF 8x26 Rangefinding Monocular, 1300 yds max. ranging. Love it and still use it. I think they can be found for around half what I paid back then (~$300 now). I understand it's outside the price range, but if a future travel/hunt combo is a possibility the assurance might offer some added piece-o-mind..
Everything I've read and heard about Sig Kilo products has been positive.

I bought a cheap Amazon special. It works for me. One thing is that I thought I would be using it more than I do. However if you hunt the same spot and range a few land marks you probably won't have as much need for one as you think you do. Amazon is also offering free 30 day returns. Some offer extended 3rd party warranties too.

When I get in the stand I range several prominent items in my shooting area I find once I see the deer Im hunting the only thing I want in my hands is my rifle. When things are are slow I frequently recheck distances. For myself I have my 20-25 yr old Nikon prostaff and and a newer 3yrs cheapo ebay special about 3 +- yd difference..

Last edited:
My opinion on this is always sure you get what you pay for, but do you really know what you're paying for till you put it to the test and try it out in the field? I personally like the Bushnell 1300 i picked it up at Walmart for around $150. i borrowed my father in laws Vortex and my good o Bushnell coming in at $200 less was spot on identical every time. It also lightened up my pack set up by ridding of my binoculars I don't need them because i got it all in one rangefinder.

the only problem with vortex is you need the full warranty because they're Chinese made s*** how an American veteran owned company has all their stuff made in China I'll never figure out
WRONG
The Crossfire scopes are all made in China. A few others also like the StrikeEagle and Venom. All Viper scopes are made in the Philippines. Razor scopes are made in Japan. Diamondback HP scopes are also Philippines. Razors are actually made at Light Optical Works just like the Zeiss V4s and many others including several Nightforce. Vortex Golden Eagle is also made in Japan but not by LOW. Probably Kenko.

My opinion on this is always sure you get what you pay for, but do you really know what you're paying for till you put it to the test and try it out in the field? I personally like the Bushnell 1300 i picked it up at Walmart for around $150. i borrowed my father in laws Vortex and my good o Bushnell coming in at $200 less was spot on identical every time. It also lightened up my pack set up by ridding of my binoculars I don't need them because i got it all in one rangefinder.
I guess i better give that bushnell another look.

Back