Traditions deer Hunter precaution scope mounting hole thread size

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm hoping that someone would know, what size thread are the holes that are predrilled For scope mounting on a traditions Percussion rifle. I would like to use the holes for making a rear peep site, but I don't see good enough anymore to really tell what the thread pitch is. Screws are a M4 diameter metric, and I suspect the pitch could be a .6. I couldn't find it on traditions website. Would one of you long hunters know?
squint

Since I posted this question about the screw holes in the traditions percussion rifle, further research says that they are possibly a number 8 x 40 thread. I would say that is right being that they are used for a scope plate mount. I will pursue this tomorrow as I do have what is necessary and 8 x 40 screws. It just didn't dawn on me that, where everything else is metric, this would be USS threads.

I killed a lot of deer with my Traditions DeerHunter.

I will pursue this tomorrow as I do have what is necessary and 8 x 40 screws. It just didn't dawn on me that, where everything else is metric, this would be USS threads.
We even see this mix match with the smaller screw sizes used on other items in daily life. I have an American Standard tap & die set made by Cleveland Die & Tool along with another Metric set by the same company. When you double check the smaller sizes you'll find the #4, #6, #8 sizes are the same in either set? That really can screw one up if not being aware, don't count on your Ace Hardward guy for help. ;)

buck conner.jpg

Hi Buck. I wound up calling the traditions company and the gal said they were 8 x 40 thread, so I took an 8 x 40 Bottoming tap, And by golly they are. The top thread was just enough off that I had to just clean what was there. Thanks for the help everyone, I've got my rear peep made, by using those two holes I have moved it back closer, than the factory peep, to my eye and also gives me a longer radius between sights. There is something good to be said for a peep at the midpoint, as you can see through it and around it at the same time.
Squint

Have always been a fan of peep sights (all the old time writers seemed to have had written about them at one time or another).

All my mid range guns had/have a peep sight some with a scope for fast target acquisition. This was very handy if the scope was damaged you still had a working gun with the peep sight. :thumbs up:

4002982_1.jpg

buck conner.jpg

Last edited:
I've always been a major fan of peep sights. Several of my modern guns have peep receiver sights. Considering trying them on my flinters as my eyes are getting so bad.

Hey Hanshi, heres a chance for you to develope "bifocal peep sights", a must for those of us with eye sight going south .... :cheers: :thumbs up: :dancing chicken:

If they work I'll buy a pair 1 colored and 1 clear, would be interesting to see in the classifieds, what do you think.

hanshi's.jpgdownload.jpg shopping.png
Available in clear or colored lense.

buck conner.jpg

Last edited:
Peep sights have a long history on military weapons. Knowing how to use them will never hurt your knowledge or abilities. I use them on my target muzzleloader, primitive sights on my hunting and plinking hawken.

In most recognized muzzleloading matches (not Joe's Barn Burner shoots) peep sights are only legal if the match states that. Otherwise your going to be shooting in only a few matches that state they are legal.

buck conner.jpg

I've always been a major fan of peep sights. Several of my modern guns have peep receiver sights. Considering trying them on my flinters as my eyes are getting so bad.
Good morning Hanshi. I tried a peep sight when I was a kid and couldn't make them work right, as I didn't understand that you couldn't use the target aperture for hunting, that was back when I could buy a Williams five dollar peep site for five dollars. I first tried the Lyman breech Peep sight on my Thompson Center, and it really is quite good but I discovered I don't need those precision adjustments on my muzzleloader, So I Then built one that was on a single stud that I could screw up or down for elevation and moved to the front sight to get it on for windage. that was a lot simpler and then that worked for good I built one for my flintlock, and I put it right at the original rear sight and it works real good for hunting as I can see through it and around it at the same time. Now, I just got my new peep sight built on my new tradition 50 caliber Percussion deer Hunter, and I don't know if I dare tell those on that other muzzleloader site that it has a black fiberglass or nylon stock, only weighs 5 lbs. 14 oz. and Even with my shoulder replacement from a year ago I can even hold it up and Will be able to shoot off hand, something that we do at our matches.I will take a picture of it and post it when I get a chance, I used the back two Scope mounting holes and then I could extend it back just to the edge of the breech, So the sight is actually a part of the barrel instead of being divided like the Lyman site is when you mounted iton the breech. I finally called traditions to identify those screw hole threads on the barrel and I'm glad I did. Right now it's 25 above and snowing like crazy here in Montana so I can tell you it will be a few days before I go. I enjoy your posts.
Squint

It was long ago, Squint, that I learned the value of a "ghost ring" peep. I never use the inserts in the field and only rarely at the range. The ones in Buck's post are probably more than I'd want to spend at this point, maybe later. I'm thinking of trying to cobble up something first and see if it helps.

I love peep sights especially on my lever guns .will never scope any of my lever guns until I cant see any other. Have several different brands of peeps on mine Have a couple of Skinners on 2 of my Henrys and a Williams on my 95 Winchester 30/06 , and a Providence Tool Co which is a clone of a old Lyman on my 95 Winchester 405.peep4.jpgpeep2.jpg

A couple of mine have old but fine Lyman receiver sights. Got at least one other with a nice Williams receiver sight.
My 30/30 (bottom) with a Lyman.
DSC00296.jpg

39A & peep.
DSC00281.jpg

45/70
PICT0487-3.jpg

Last edited:
It was long ago, Squint, that I learned the value of a "ghost ring" peep. I never use the inserts in the field and only rarely at the range. The ones in Buck's post are probably more than I'd want to spend at this point, maybe later. I'm thinking of trying to cobble up something first and see if it helps.
Hi Hanshi. Well, I crafted me a peep sight for that new traditions rifle and I'll post the picture on here of it. I don't know if you can see it, I went back to the a slot cut underneath the sight with a stepped ladder to raise it and the screw holes are big enough that I can adjust it side to side enough I hope to find the target. I did the experiment at length with a lineman site on my flintlock to discover that I was better off to just leave the site alone and try to correct poor shooting by adjusting powder, patches, and lube. I wanted to put in find threads grew for reason lowering site, but the metal is fairly thin and I was concerned about threads holding unit. What I used for my metal was a piece of 2 inch machine banding material that is fairly good spring steel, and yet is thin enough to be able to be adjusted.
Squint

Attachments

• Peep 1.JPG
    Peep 1.JPG
    380.2 KB · Views: 6
Okay, Squint, that's what I'm talking about. I have a little .45 percussion and want to put a peep on it. I'm not much with fabrication but they only need to be simple like yours. IDEA, IDEA, IDEA...

Buck, you mentioned something called "money". What does that word mean? I've heard it somewhere before but have never seen anything called "money". 😎

In some of my older inventory (read that to mean junk box) I came across a Williams adj peep sight for a 760 or 742 Remington. It would work as is forward, but I want it closer so may have to increase the bottom radius just a little. Yea dremel and barrel stone! Next drill and tap two 6X48s, should be good to go. Out

Buck, you mentioned something called "money". What does that word mean? I've heard it somewhere before but have never seen anything called "money". 😎
The definition of money: something generally accepted as a medium of exchange, a measure of value, or a means of payment: such as. a : officially coined or stamped metal currency newly minted money. b : money of account.
?????? :cheers: To me it's that stuff that can get you in over your head in owing some one ....... :coffee:

buck conner.jpg

Latest posts

Back