Trigger help please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evolution84

Reaction score
Hi all. Any input for my situation is much appreciated

I have been taking apart my Thompson .50 cal for years, so no clue how anything got messed up. Since I put it back together, the set trigger and front trigger are tremendously harder to pull to fire. If the set trigger is engaged, the front is a hair trigger. But to do just the front is very heavy pull

I have tried resetting it by half cocking the hammer, turning set screw clockwise until it clicks and messing with the set screw after this, but nothing

The set screw isn’t making the set trigger change pull weight

Any thoughts???

I take it you had the lock out of your gun? If so, You either jammed the Set mechanism when you replaced the Lock, or got the Sear under it. The Sear sits right above it once in the Stock. Remove the lock, make sure when Replacing it that the Sear goes in above the Trigger/Set, you might need to reach in with something to push the Set mechanism down some before installing the Lock.

Thanks for the reply. I will try those here. The thing that makes me not think it is the sear( if I’m understanding you correctly) is that even when the locking mechanism is out, the set trigger is very tough to set, and the set screw doesn’t adjust the pull weight

Thanks for the reply. I will try those here. The thing that makes me not think it is the sear( if I’m understanding you correctly) is that even when the locking mechanism is out, the set trigger is very tough to set, and the set screw doesn’t adjust the pull weight

My guess is you bent the Set trigger assembly with the Sear when installing the Lock? It might be Broke as well? I Very RARELY pull my Locks, and i shoot a literal TON, About every 10th outing of Shooting i will pull them and Clean, Even then I don’t see anything Wrong. I just reapply oil in the Wear, moving/pivot points. I have not found Blackpowder Blowback to get down inside the Lock. It sounds like you might be Over Doing it by Removing it MUCH more than needed? Something to keep in mind when you get it back in good working order. Just make sure and use a good quality Gun oil and Lube the internals of the Lock, Then leave it be for 10 Times or so after Shooting it Before pulling it to clean, and Reapply lubricant.

Worse case Scenario, you might have to Replace the Trigger assembly. I see them on Ebay fairly often

Get a set of Davis Deerslayers & don’t look back. Best 50 bucks or so upgrade you’ll ever do to a T/C gun.

Thanks for the replies guys...much appreciated. I will probably opt to buy a better trigger and upgrade.

And thanks for the info about taking the lock off. I take it off habitually after each season but I guess that is overkill when I think about it

Thanks for the replies guys...much appreciated. I will probably opt to buy a better trigger and upgrade.

And thanks for the info about taking the lock off. I take it off habitually after each season but I guess that is overkill when I think about it

It is perfectly ok to remove and clean it. Like myself for example, I target shoot a LOT, I only clean and Re apply a good quality lubricant/protectant after about every 10th time of Shooting. If you just shoot a few times a year, and hunt with your rifle, Lock removal, full cleaning, and Re apply oil 1-2 times a year is Plenty. Also When you Tighten your lock back down in the Stock, You Don’t want to over tighten that Side Screw, go til it gets Snug, then go about another half Turn is all past Snug.

Get a set of Davis Deerslayers & don’t look back. Best 50 bucks or so upgrade you’ll ever do to a T/C gun.

Bubba, i have thought about replacing 1 of my Stock Renegade/Hawken Set Triggers with a Davis Deer Slayer for awhile now, i have read a LOT of good about them, i Keep waiting on 1 of my Stock triggers to fail so i can justify doing it, So far all of my Stock TC Triggers have kept plugging right along. I might go ahead and order 2 of them anyway and install both in my 2 Target rifles that i shoot on a regular basis

To be completely fair, the Deerslayers won’t do a thing yer stock triggers won’t do. The difference is kinda like takin’ a road trip in a Ford Falcon versus a Mustang. Both will get you there but you’ll enjoy the trip more in the Mustang.

Latest posts

Back