Trigger Improvement?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiddler

Reaction score
Do you guys ever do trigger jobs on your single-set triggers? My recently-purchased pawnshop Lyman Deerstalker seems pretty nice so far, but I'd be happier with a lighter trigger. All of my other firearms have very light triggers. I'm one of those guys who never touch the trigger until I'm ready to shoot, so I can get away with it.
I haven't taken the trigger group out yet, but I would imagine the procedure would be pretty simple. Anyone here ever do a trigger job on a muzzleloader?

is that trigger a true single set or just a single?

i've deburred and polished the innards on 3 or 4 flinter rifle triggers, including the sear, both double set and single types. it did help smooth out the cock fall.

To answer your question: I don't know. This is only the second muzzleloader I've ever owned and the first one was almost forty years ago, and that one had a double-set trigger. I guess this Lyman Deerstalker is just some sort of simple single trigger.

that's what i thought, a single trigger and not a set single trigger for that rifle. i'd pull off the lock, clean it out good with hot water and brush, fully dry off, spray entirely with wd40, pat off the excess, put it back, see how it works. if the pull is too much, i'd pull it off again and just *polish* the sear.

I will add to visually inspect the parts for wear. I saw one recently that had extreme wear on the sear.

Success!
Simplest trigger job I ever did! Polished the sear contact points and replaced the very stout trigger return spring (or whatever it's called) with a lighter one.
Now I can live with this rifle!

Latest posts

Back