Trigger time with the .450 Bushmaster

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
da new guy

We are putting some emphasis on the shooter but part of that discussion was also coupled with the use of the FTX, Not just shooters in general. The FTX works ok in the 450 but like you mentioned earlier you did not seem to like it either. No argument there. If the shooter was careful to put it right in the lungs it will work, hit a shoulder or heavy bone (Thats where it worries me)?? There are a lot that don't take the time to aim small. A Better bullet like the Barnes in the 450 would be better for them.

Have you tried the Barnes Triple Shock 275 in your 450BM?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101741369?pid=330426

My only hang up is that tiny HP on it. I just have a hang up on tiny HPs for Big Game, not saying they don't or can't work but a few I did use (Not Barnes) well I just found something better. If it was more open I would not worry about it plugging up and not opening right. So it is just a personal preference for me. I don't really care for Tipped bullets in my MLs for hunting either. Again just personal preference.

Take the 450 and have a brake installed. It would tame it right down and a child could shoot it with no problem. And they do now with brakes. Maybe its just me, but I'd rather have to much gun than not enough. A good muzzle brake would work perfectly for her. At the same time, everyone would be using the same ammunition, 450 Bushmaster. Saves money reloading one type of ammunition rather than two different calibers.

Scary but this is my thought for her too. Most of the RA Ranch rifles come with a Brake as well as the Go-Wild. I don't think I would like a brake (and its why I got mine from Randy's) as I do a lot of my hunting in Ohio from Home built Box Blinds (we call em Deer Shacks). I think you would Have to have Ear Protection (Muffs) shooting from my shacks. Should have it anyway but I don't normally use it. I have shot on benches next to some rifles with Brakes. Hated sitting next to them. They definitely have their place though. I had a Friend that had a Weatherby Accumark that was in 30-378. Cartridges looked about the size of a cigar. He had me sight it in and adjust the scope (Leupold LPS) for him (I'll try about anything once). I think he was afraid of it after opening up the box of ammo. I shot a couple rounds, tweaked the scope and shot a crazy small group. I was stunned at that rifle/cartridge. It was as comfortable to shoot as a .243. He shot it and then hunted a LOT of stuff with it. So yup they do work and have a place.

My Nephew does have an AR and has contemplated getting an upper for it. I don't have any experience with those at all. He asked me if he could use his same lower. I have no clue. Maybe da new guy and answer that? I would assume he just needs the upper and a new Mag but just don't know.

I'm not really trying to dog the FTX bullets as I know they work... I have a good friend that took a doe at 216 yards with no complaints as he got a pass through at that range...

Shawn
You are correct in that he should only need the upper. The one that I have is the 18" from Bear Creek Arsenal. When I do my part it will shoot .75" with the FTX which is why I went with them. As for the magazines I use Lancer 10 round Advanced Warfighter nags without any modifications... Hope this helps.

Shawn
You are correct in that he should only need the upper. The one that I have is the 18" from Bear Creek Arsenal. When I do my part it will shoot .75" with the FTX which is why I went with them. As for the magazines I use Lancer 10 round Advanced Warfighter nags without any modifications... Hope this helps.

Sure does. I shot a friends AR once but it was Many Many Many moons ago. I never got into them myself so had no clue. I will let him know. Thanks!
Do you think they have any less recoil than the Bolt rifle would?

I would think that the ar would have a little less recoil than a bolt gun WITHOUT the brake. With the brake I honestly don't know. If they are recoul shy you can get a Limbsaver recoil pad like I did that fit on my Magpul stock. Definitely msde a big difference...

Does anyone have a preferred brand of 450 ammo? I stopped in Dunhams to buy a box and was not sure which is the preferred brand - Hornady, Winchester, etc.

Sure does. I shot a friends AR once but it was Many Many Many moons ago. I never got into them myself so had no clue. I will let him know. Thanks!
Do you think they have any less recoil than the Bolt rifle would?
They are really heavy them AR's . Id rather have a bolt . Ar loads must be ALOT LIGHTER . They camt take a hot rod load . The bolt will .
I dont consider the gas operation of the AR to be all that for recoil absorbtion . Not designed for that IMO . The rifle is only designed for 39,000 psi in 450 bushmaster iirc so factory SAMMI ammo is kinda lame IMO . Gotta be loaded down so it wont break the AR's bolt all to hell . Its pretty easy to push a bolt to 20,000 psi More and still be safe and without pressure signs . The velocity gain youd like alot !!! This is common here in michigan among guys that load for it . BIG improvement !!! Will take it from a 300yd gun to a 400yd one . Thats substansial out there . Still not a 45 Raptor / 460 S&W but working on it . Dont know if its still offered with the 22" barrel vs 16" braked one but id get the longer one if it was me . The recoil aint all that , even hot rodded . IMO of course........

Last edited:
Does anyone have a preferred brand of 450 ammo? I stopped in Dunhams to buy a box and was not sure which is the preferred brand - Hornady, Winchester, etc.

I like Hornady: it shoots well in all my 450's and the recipe is out there, so I can hand load the same thing... and it all shoots to the same point of impact.

They are really heavy them AR's . Id rather have a bolt . Ar loads must be ALOT LIGHTER . They camt take a hot rod load . The bolt will .
I dont consider the gas operation of the AR to be all that for recoil absorbtion . Not designed for that IMO . The rifle is only designed for 39,000 psi in 450 bushmaster iirc so factory SAMMI ammo is kinda lame IMO . Gotta be loaded down so it wont break the AR's bolt all to hell . Its pretty easy to push a bolt to 20,000 psi More and still be safe and without pressure signs . The velocity gain youd like alot !!! This is common here in michigan among guys that load for it . BIG improvement !!! Will take it from a 300yd gun to a 400yd one . Thats substansial out there . Still not a 45 Raptor / 460 S&W but working on it . Dont know if its still offered with the 22" barrel vs 16" braked one but id get the longer one if it was me . The recoil aint all that , even hot rodded . IMO of course........

Sideshow, I'm not looking for a fight, but feel I must address some misconceptions...

1:The 450BM has one set of load data for all rifles... bolt or AR
2: Most consider the AR to be a stronger action than many bolt guns.
3: The only thing that is occasionally modified from the standard AR upper (besides the bolt and ejection port of course) is that some folks like heavier carriers on their 450's,... or some run heavier buffers/springs in the lower... both slow the cyclic rate and reduces stress on brass. (my only dig on my 450 AR uppers's is that as they came stock, they are tough on brass). I prefer modifying the upper so that I don't have to think about what configuration my lower is in.

450bushmaster.net is a treasure trove of information on the 450BM.... if you have questions, the answers are probably there. The fella who invented the cartridge (from Howell Michigan) frequents that forum too.

Sideshow, I'm not looking for a fight, but feel I must address some misconceptions...

1:The 450BM has one set of load data for all rifles... bolt or AR
2: Most consider the AR to be a stronger action than many bolt guns.
3: The only thing that is occasionally modified from the standard AR upper (besides the bolt and ejection port of course) is that some folks like heavier carriers on their 450's,... or some run heavier buffers/springs in the lower... both slow the cyclic rate and reduces stress on brass. (my only dig on my 450 AR uppers's is that as they came stock, they are tough on brass). I prefer modifying the upper so that I don't have to think about what configuration my lower is in.

450bushmaster.com is a treasure trove of information on the 450BM.... if you have questions, the answers are probably there. The fella who invented the cartridge (from Howell Michigan) frequents that forum too.
The load data reflects what SAMMI has determined to be "safe" FOR all rifles at this point . Not what the cartrige is safely capable of .
Ive seen AR's sent in for warranty repair for loads that were safe and functioned flawlessly in the Ruger American . Some AR's got fixed , at first , but not latter- on due to " hot loads ". The AR-10 is the answer for more powerfull rounds . The critical part , the bolt , the M--16 "part" is NOT available for general purchase to upgrade the AR--15 .
No fight at all . Just sayin what ive Seen happen alot more than once .
What i said may Not be for a novice loader , But it is still true just the same .

Last edited:
I just use the Hornady 250gr. I know some just hate the bullet with all kinds of excuses but, I haven't had an issue yet. Not with accuracy nor on a whitetail.
I also reload my own brass and still use the 250gr FTX bullets.

Latest posts

Back