...Trying 110 GRAINS of Blackhorn next.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
...Trying 110 GRAINS of Blackhorn next.....

:D :)

Loaded up my tubes for my next day at the range and filled a few with 78.1 grains (110 grs. B/V). I usually shoot 70 grains (100grs.B/V ). Carlos explained that he gets good groups, his pics don't lie, and suggested that I try the heavier load and see how it goes. I'm going to sight my rifle in at 100 with 70 grains and then try out the 110 grains. I'll be shooting AeroLites 300's and Barnes Spit-FireT-EZ's 290 GR's. and FIOCCHI PRIMERS :cheers: :!: :cheers:

Re: ...Trying 110 GRAINS of Blackhorn next.....

Sounds like a winner! Well if not, at least a bunch of fun :lol!:

It sounds like a lot for whitetails.

More than i'm using for elk.

110 gr is well worth a try. hope it works out for yah! Ray

Pete,
You could be right about 110 grs being to much for deer but I'm checking to see what kind of groups I get down range. Last season I could have shot a deer that was 140 yards from my blind. He was pretty nice buck. I didn't have enough confidence or knowledge of what that AEROTIP and 100 grains of JSG was going to do at 140 yards. Not going to happen this season. If 110 will put them in my freezer I won't hesitate this year to make that shot.
My friend Carlos has posted pics farther then my 140 yards and he wouldn't hesitate to make that shot and that comes with checking things out and practice.
Who knows, you may want to increase that new powder charge on your new rifle also just to see those holes down range.

Take care,
Ray

Go ahead and try it, but 100gr of BH should do 140 yds easily.

:D
You could be right Pete but " I GOTTS TO KNOW " :!: :D

I use 110grs of BH209 pushing either a 260gr PT Gold or a 250gr Barnes T-ez fired by a Fiocchi primer. It works great for me. I do not believe it is overkill as some say. When the shot comes out there at 200-225 yards you can take it with confidence that you have what is needed to do it. You do need however, to practice shooting at that range to be sure that you personally are able to make the shot.

I shoot whatever powder charge gives me the most accurate load.

IMO, 110 will do a great job for you Hawg, I've had great results with 110 grs. of BH-209. When I tryed 120 grs. the groups opened up very little, this was done out of my 1-20 twist .45 origanal KNIGHT. Over kill not IMO, it just gives you a flatter Rainbow effect and better down range energy at the longer distance.

Sometimes a bullet can be going too fast to expand, or maybe destroy too much meat.

Max load is not always ideal.

Just saying.

Colorado, I do agree with that some what, also take a light weight powerbelt they would be best shot out of a slingshot where a Thor or say a Leigh or even a Partion could hold upto a heavier pay load of powder. Just my $00.02 cents.

I agree, i always shoot whats most accurate. With the Thor, you really dont have to worry about anything.

The 260 PT Gold is another bullet thats handled excellent in my media tests and i shoot those with 120gr blackhorn209.

Now if'n you are flinching, thats not good! Nothing worse than flinching in the field because you know its going to hurt when the trigger is pulled. My brother is like that " well when he shot a hawken anyways lol" but hes learn that its not going to hurt anymore with that recoil pad in place.

I haven't read Ray's sig lately. He used to have Powerbelts in it. That was my concern.

Plus, I seem to remember in his past hunting reports that some kills were pretty close.

Oh i think hawk is still deciding between the 300gr aerolite or the barnes LOL. Hes in the same pickle i am in.

FrontierGander said:
Oh i think hawk is still deciding between the 300gr aerolite or the barnes LOL. Hes in the same pickle i am in.
You better use the PB's. We need the report. :albino:

Exactly! LOL. Im using the 250 with 100GR BH209 so i need some help!

FrontierGander said:
Exactly! LOL. Im using the 250 with 100GR BH209 so i need some help!

You'll do ok. You know where to put the shot.

We want pictures, videos, blood, and a long report.

Yeah !! and we want you to recover that bullet !! :lol!:

So either a frontal or shoulder shot is the request i take it? LOL

Latest posts

Back