ULA Model 90

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creek Chub

Reaction score
This was an early ML made by Melvin Forbes of Ultra Light Arms in West “By God” Virginia.

It’s just as smooth and clean as any ULA/NULA product, if not a tad heavier.

Being new to muzzleloaders, it’s unclear to me how to disassemble the plunger apparatus and remove the breech plug. Any tips, tricks, or general information of this Model 90 would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• B86CED22-245D-48D5-8EA0-9EC5432E696F.jpeg
    B86CED22-245D-48D5-8EA0-9EC5432E696F.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 30
On the Knights I own, and other plungers I've seen, the plunger unscrews from the back, and the stock and triggers come off with an allen wrench. Then the nipple is removed with a specialized nipple wrench. Basically, a steel rod with a nipple wrench on one end, and a breech plug wrench on the other. Holes provide a place to slip the allen wrench through for leverage. The one for my Bighorn is about 5.75 inches long. Not sure if that would work for an ULA, but certainly Knight would sell you one.

I’ll snap a picture of the rear of the plunger, but I’m thinking I screw off the pull knob and use some sort of dual flat head driver to unscrew the plunger housing. The end of said tool would need to be split to avoid the plunger rod.

was this once a known device for other plunger style muzzy’s?

There are guys here that have the NULA. Being that is a Smokeless rated muzzleloader you might get more or a quicker response if you do down the board and post in the "Smokeless" section. One of the Mods is very versed in that rifle. If you have not done so you might browse that Smokeless forum and get a lot of info on that rifle,

It's a dream rifle for me. Shame Melvin stopped making them.

The model 90 came out before the M209 and its NOT smokeless rated.

opps.:eek: Learn something new every day. I thought all of his ML's were smokeless rated. Sorry for the mistake.

Have you called NULA and asked Melvin? I have called and talked to him before.

If its like most plunger rifles the hammer assembly unscrews from the back. You might need to remove the trigger. Im not really sure. A pic of the breech plug and rear of the action out of the stock would be a huge help. It might use the old Knight style tool for MK85s
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/knight-combo-tool-9-75-inch-slotted-head/
m900131_slot1_600.jpg

I used a dremel and trimmed some scrap steel into a workable tool. I’d need something like what you shared above, but with a hollow in the center to accommodate the threaded rod

Attachments

• CAE952DB-D296-4F86-A1F5-7639EB7EBB69.jpeg
    CAE952DB-D296-4F86-A1F5-7639EB7EBB69.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 7
  • B59DBE1B-D63D-4D06-BF91-3B0D6FFBCA26.jpeg
    B59DBE1B-D63D-4D06-BF91-3B0D6FFBCA26.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back