Ultra light Muzzleloader Barrel???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor62

Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm looking to build an ultralight muzzleloading rifle in .50 cal. I know that there must be somebody out there who can supply such an animal. While I'm not so interested in smokeless powder muzzleloading , I'm assuming that one of the barrels employed in these designs would be ideal. Most muzzle loading barrels are heavy walled, mild steel whereas most centerfire barrels are of a higher tensile strength and lend themselves to lighter contour profiles. Has anyone got a clue as to where one might procure such a barrel? Looking for the lightest possible contour barrel in .50 cal. with a 1:28" ROT.
The plan is to mate it up with this action while keeping weight as well as overall length to a minimum:

5bf953915ca85.jpg

Green mountain has both bullet or round ball that will fit. Rice is another good one

I have used that action. I dont think I will again. Just to remove the nipple requires some sort of custom grinded tiny wrench. 1/8th turn, flip wrench, jiggle it in, 1/8th turn...repeat. (and this requires removeable scope) It takes some tinkering to get right, and I still have way too many misfires to use hunting. I have since moved on to other things. My experiences may not be typical, but theres virtually no other online info I can find on them.

That's good info squeeze. I read your post on your build employing that action. I was already considering a musket nipple in place of the #11. That should all but eliminate the missfire issues. Hadn't considered the installation / removal of the nipple issue though. Definitely something to consider. I've used Pete Allen's other actions in the past with nothing but good things to say about them. I built a .50 underhammer and a .58 boxlock using allen actions. I've attached a couple of photos.
Still, My intent is to build a very lightweight muzzleloader and a lightweight barrel is my first step but I haven't been able to locate a source for such an animal...

5bf96df7236f5.jpg

5bf96f840fff5.jpg

Back