Underhammer 45 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is ready to shoot,, I hope to either this weekend or the following ,, I'm going to have to shoot and play with the peep sites a little bit I had pecatonica cut two dovetails one is far back as they could and one where Thompson center would normally put theirs on a barrel not quite sure which dovetail is going to work out the best with my 62-year-old eyes,I've got a crosshair and a globe on the front site but a cheap one nothing fancy. I do catch myself picking a rifle up and handling it everyday making some of them fake cap gun shots like my 5-year-old grandson does!! The rifles hard to walk by and not pick up

I did glass bed the back of my action and if you notice how big and bulky the four end is compared to the back of the gun it does look a little weak it's actually very strong,, my plan later on in the years to get just a four in block from pecatonica that has been inletted for my four end and then I'm going to reshape it I don't really like the Pontoon for end but it's growing on me it kind of has that Jethro look

I know what you mean about the bulky forend. Does your rifle have ram rod pipes? If not, you could really slim it down on your shorter piece. I've seen a few set up that way and they look nice. Both ends of the forend were rounded out.

No ramrod pipes on purpose,, and I hadn't thought about that but you are right ,, I'm going to hunt and bust around in the woods for a little bit with it like it is and probably get another forend for it next year.

It's a cool little rifle now that I got the back end of it finished I can put multiple barrels on it, got a 32 I'll probably end up building a 50 cal barrel for it too why not.

This is the Arkansas underhamer kit from pecatonica the trigger is pretty nice considering that it hasn't really been used much it's going to slick up a little bit too with you I didn't polish it it really didn't need it it's it's pretty clean and pretty light I would say probably three and a half pounds maybe less.

Shut this group at about 85 yards not much of a group but for open sites it's not bad this is a 275 grain fury black tip 40 cal in a light blue sabot,,, shooting 70 grains by weight of pioneer triple f,,, my first time shooting peep sight open site even though they're cheap at that distance as you can tell I have a lot more work to do and I did not and will not be shooting this particular bullet I just was trying to get my sights adjusted I'll be shooting some bore riders in it in the future,,, right now I consider it a minute of deer but I'm not sure that my obsessed accuracy mind is going to be happy with minute of deer.

Attachments

• IMG_20220823_081040943.jpg
    IMG_20220823_081040943.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
The holes don't look clean it rained overnight the target cardboard swelled up,,, very fun rifle to shoot!!

Not bad for the first shots. Pretty satisfying to fire the first shots from a gun you built. I bet you'll be surprised at how well that 1-18 twist will do with a nice full bore conical. Might I suggest 80 grains, 1 50 cal wool wad topped off with a .451 sized bullet in the 450 grain range.

I have some 400 grain very soft and sizable jacketed bullets that I just got from fury and Northern precision I'm fixing to try,, I was moving my rear site constantly ,,once I settle down I think I'll do a lot better and I know a bore Rider will make a difference,, this bart- line 1 and 18 twist is going to shoot a lot of bullets,, on the fun chart I give it a 10 out of 10!!

Latest posts

Back