Understanding the Lehigh controled fracturing bullets.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
With today’s bullets everyone seems to worry about weight and energy. And with most of today’s bullets rightfully so. But the Lehigh controlled fracturing bullets are the exact opposite. The key with the Lehigh controlled fracturing bullets is lighter and faster. The reason why the lighter bullets are better is because of the petals. The petals are longer and heavier on the lighter bullets. The petals are what make the Lehigh controlled fracturing second to none. The longer and heavier those petals are, the more damage they do inside the game you are shooting. And obviously more trauma/shock that occurs inside the animal. As you’ve seen in Rons testing, the Metplate of the bullet penetrates as far and farther than most bullets. It’s pretty hard not to have an exit with a Lehigh. I know that’s never happened to me on Elk or even Russian Boars. They always exited.
I have been using these bullets for many years now. And I finally asked Dave at Lehigh why the 200grn Bloodline kills a lot better than all the rest. His answer was what I explained above. The petals are longer and create more internal damage. I’ve shot a lot of game with the 250grn, 275, and 300. But the little 200grn woops them extremely noticeable on game.
So the key with these bullets is velocity, and knowing at what distance the petals will shear and do their job. This is important to mention to, if you go outside that range, the bullet will work like every other conventional mushrooming bullet.
I hope this helps anyone currently using these bullets and ones that are looking into using them.

I shot a doe last year with a 200 grain lehigh and it was devastating. I have a smokeless gun now so i am mainly interested in the copper ones since the brass ones dont do too well in these.

chaded said:
I shot a doe last year with a 200 grain lehigh and it was devastating. I have a smokeless gun now so i am mainly interested in the copper ones since the brass ones dont do too well in these.

Yes me to, I actually hate hunting with a 50cal but its the law in Colorado.

Do you have any idea what could be expected pushing them at 2700-2800 fps? More trauma? Petals traveling further in the animal?

chaded said:
Do you have any idea what could be expected pushing them at 2700-2800 fps? More trauma? Petals traveling further in the animal?

Sure, i have shot the 200grn Bloodline at almost 2600fps already. Its a devastating bullet without a doubt.

Tom,

What is the difference between the CF and the Bloodline?

Thanks,

ShawnT said:
Tom,

What is the difference between the CF and the Bloodline?

Thanks,

The CF Bullets have slits on the side of them so they dont have the explosion effect or energy that the Bloodlines do. The petals are the key with Lehigh/Bloodline bullets. This is all i had in my office to show you. And this is why Lehigh is changing the design of the CF bullets.

Back