W209 primer blew up in CVA Accura.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it normal for that model muzzy with 60 grains by weight of BH to get a cratered and extruded primer cup? The primer that didn't blow up looks like extreme pressure to me as well.

Just a though but you said you measured by weight, right? You sure your scale was set to the correct units? or some other kind of weight measuring issue. Just to rule it out, I would take one of those premeasured tubes and measure by volume to double check that something isn't off with the scale

CVA Accura V2 un-fired & fired primers.

2USjtDoh.jpg

I realize the Photo is Enlarged but that Firing Pin Strike looks to be Large Diameter?

Actually the pin strike on the primer that didn't blow in the original photo looks very deep and just "off". I was curious if the blown primer could have done what it did had the firing pin actually pierced the cup. Had that primer not been shown I would have agreed with the lifted bullet idea 100% but that primer makes me wonder.

Actually the pin strike on the primer that didn't blow in the original photo looks very deep and just "off". I was curious if the blown primer could have done what it did had the firing pin actually pierced the cup. Had that primer not been shown I would have agreed with the lifted bullet idea 100% but that primer makes me wonder.
I agree either breech plug isn't screwed in all the way or firing pin is too long once the cup is pierced it allows the pressure another escape route out the back. In my dumb years starting out I've shot a ramrod out if a muzzleloader kicked like hell but didn't do anything like that. I'd pop off a bunch of primers in that gun and see if any are pierced.

Is it normal for that model muzzy with 60 grains by weight of BH to get a cratered and extruded primer cup? The primer that didn't blow up looks like extreme pressure to me as well.
I agree the first primer shows signs of over pressure. Might want to check your scale with a check weight and if it is weighing in grains.

The primer puncture, or near puncture, I don't think would account for the heavy recoil, but the puncture, or near puncture is a flag to me and I think it's something to check out.

I don't think it punctured the primer. This looks like the strike location from the other side.
Message_1630165690689~2.jpg
I have primers that look like this all the time from my Accura .45 and bh209 80grV under a 346gr lead conical. Not off center tho, iirc.

In my limited experience "heavy recoil" in a muzzleloader comes from a double ball/bullet. Is it possible that something was left in the barrel from a previous shooting session?

My buddy fired a ML with a powder charge and conical on top of another charge and conical. Recoil was significant and nothing hit the target. The T/C Omega survived the abuse.

I would be reluctant to shoot that rifle again until the source of the blown primer/over pressure is determined.

Might want to take the rifle to a competent gunsmith with the tools to measure the internal diameter of the barrel, from the face of the breech plug, to the muzzle. And, determine if the barrel has been bulged, even microscopically. If it has, as Arnold says, "Hasta la Vista, Baby!!!!".

Looks like serious back pressure. Replace the breech plug, & check firing pin bushing adjustment
Any possibility that the bullet was not completely seated in the powder? Even if it was could it have been loose enough fit to move before firing?

Greg

The first shot (no problem) was 1226 fps and on target.
Second shot (ouch) was 735 fps plus a sore shoulder and nose and possibly a few expletives...

When I opened the action the primer was flattened and black and looked like shrapnel. Also including a comparison photo with the primer from the previous shot. You can see it shows an indentation from the firing pin retainer.
The load is:
Winchester W209 primer
BH209 60 gr by weight
Powerbelt ELR 280 gr.

Something just isnt adding up. That load should be quite a bit better than 1226fps and makes pretty low peak pressure. Hard to imagine that load is so rough on the primers. On the other hand the CVA pin pushing slot is huge. They changed it years ago and primers like that are common with max BH209 loads. Ive seen many pics posted like the primer that did not fail.

You need to verify the flash HOLE has not eroded past .035" and the flash CHANNEL is clear with a 1/8" drill bit. If both of those are not in spec it can lead to way more pressure reaching the primer.

I had the exact thing happen to me last month. Check your ramrod to see if the Jig is still on the rod. My ELR jig was shot with the bullet. The extra kick was unbelievable and my nose may be broken. The way the Jig is made makes it prone to getting stuck on the bullet!

Latest posts

Back