Walmart CVA muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of misinformation in this thread.

They hired Ed Shilen, world renowned barrel maker as a consultant to help them make truly accurate gun barrel quality steel barrels. Bergara Barrels that are made for center fire rifles, and the muzzleloaders they build. No more junk after that. The Bergara muzzleloader barrels can about the same time asthey introduced their APEX rifle in 2009. Since that time all the center fire and muzzleloader rifles have Bergara Barrels. The top end muzzleloading rifles go through a special honing process. The rest is history.Sadly, Ed Shilen passed away in December 2015.

Ed

Bergara tour.

Since that time all the center fire and muzzleloader rifles have Bergara Barrels.

CVA told me that the only ML that has the Bergara barrel is the Accura. The APEX also used it, but they said all the Optima and lower, were not Bergara barrels. From what I have read, the Optima and others, use barrels made by Dikar, but they do not go to as much trouble, in the making of the barrels. Is this correct information?

Optima Elite had them also
pix811133476.jpg

Did you even bother to watch the videos I posted above?

Dikar the parent company of Bergara Barrels, Bergara USA Bergara North America, BPI, CVA has one barrel company, Bergara Barrels. They make all the center fire and muzzleloader Barrels for Bergara and CVA. The CVA Barrels that get the Bergara stamp are the ones on the current Paramount and Accura MR/PR/LR/V2 rifles because they go through the added 3 step honing process of the bores to a mirror finish, prior to being button rifled. The CVA Scout V2, Hunter, Optima V2 (rifle/pistol), Wolf go through all but the 3 step honing process, so they do not get the Bergara Stamp. All the barrels are made by Dikar in the Bergara Barrel plant in Spain, since that is the parent company.

Bergara North America makes their own custom rifles with select Bergara barrels.

Read this whole story in this link. It's 3 years dated now but it will open a lot of eyes, and turn on a lot of light bulbs for the ones who chose to be ignorant in the past. It tells the story!

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/2/25/bergara-storms-the-rifle-market/

READ IT!

Dikar the parent company of Bergara Barrels, Bergara USA Bergara North America, BPI, CVA has one barrel company, Bergara Barrels. They make all the center fire and muzzleloader Barrels for Bergara and CVA. The CVA Barrels that get the Bergara stamp are the ones on the current Paramount and Accura MR/PR/LR/V2 rifles because they go through the added 3 step honing process of the bores to a mirror finish, prior to being button rifled. The CVA Scout V2, Hunter, Optima V2 (rifle/pistol), Wolf go through all but the 3 step honing process, so they do not get the Bergara Stamp. All the barrels are made by Dikar in the Bergara Barrel plant in Spain, since that is the parent company.

Bergara North America makes their own custom rifles with select Bergara barrels.

Read this whole story in this link. It's 3 years dated now but it will open a lot of eyes, and turn on a lot of light bulbs for the ones who chose to be ignorant in the past. It tells the story!

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/2/25/bergara-storms-the-rifle-market/

READ IT!

Thanks for the details, very informative.

Incidentally, my Optima V2 nitride barrel, marked Dikar (yet made in the same Bergara factory) may not have the same final 3-step mirror polishing as the Bergara stamped barrels, but it sure has a beautiful mirror finish to my eyes.

But there may be imperfections not visible to the eye. Do you think an added hand polishing would help accuracy?

Of course first I need to tweak some other things with my setup (getting some primer blowback, for example, and that probably has more negative impact than the slight mirror finish difference).

READ IT!

So, I already had the correct information. Couldn't you have just said yes?

What I've taken away from this whole thread is something that I've known for years... don't buy guns from Malwart.

If you wanna spend full price for your rifles, then by all means have it. I work too hard for the discretionary money I have and have no compunction over buying a less than half price muzzleloader from Wally World..

I quoted the EXACT same article and the other quote was directly from McGarity too. It was posted on Chuck Hawks ages ago. BPI website has similar info. You can even look up the Bergara trademark dates.

Thanks for the details, very informative.

Incidentally, my Optima V2 nitride barrel, marked Dikar (yet made in the same Bergara factory) may not have the same final 3-step mirror polishing as the Bergara stamped barrels, but it sure has a beautiful mirror finish to my eyes.

But there may be imperfections not visible to the eye. Do you think an added hand polishing would help accuracy?

Of course first I need to tweak some other things with my setup (getting some primer blowback, for example, and that probably has more negative impact than the slight mirror finish difference).

You're welcome.

There is nothing wrong with your Optima V2 barrel, just like there is nothing wrong with my Optima V2 Pistol, and my Scout V2 rifle with Bergara Barrels that are not stamped "BERGARA".

I don't need a "BERGARA" stamp when they both shoot like this.

2011 Optima V2 Pistol. Just the barrel is laser etched.
20190210_103736.jpeg
185.jpg

2017 Scout V2 rifle. Both the receiver and barrel are laser etched, as this is a Form 4473 "Firearm". Says Made In Spain By Dikar.
20190210_104330.jpeg
20190210_104348.jpeg
20170902_173102-1-1.jpg
20171111_203207-1-1-1-1.jpg

2009 Apex Barrel. Says "Premium Bergara Barrel", Design Consultant, Word-Renowned Custom Barrel Maker, Ed Shilen.
20190210_112240-1.jpg
20190210_112442.jpeg
20190210_112537.jpeg

So what's the big deal here that has everyone's undies in a bunch?

Dikar is the parent company over Bergara. Bergara makes the barrels for Dikar. Is there something wrong with them putting their company name on the rifles? I don't think so!

The Wal-Mart CVA's I have seen in Mid-Michigan are no different than any of the others I've seen. I did see some blued Optima Rifles at Dunhams that had the breeching lever in Front of the trigger guard like my stainless 2011 Optima Pistol.and the current Wolf rifles. They might be old stock, or a special order like the ones some of you seen at Wal-Mart?

So, I already had the correct information. Couldn't you have just said yes?

No, you said that only the Accura had the Bergara Barrels. That is not correct. They all have Barrels made by Bergara Barrels, only the Premium Bergara Barrels that go through the additional 3 step honing process get the Bergara Barrels laser etched on them.

Bergara makes barrels for other firearms companies too, not just Bergara Rifles and CVA. They make barrels for AR's, Remington 700 Barrels, pistol barrels, and more.

If you watched the videos and read that story I posted the link to, you should have picked up on that like everyone else did.

No, you said that only the Accura had the Bergara Barrels. That is not correct. They all have Barrels made by Bergara Barrels, only the Premium Bergara Barrels that go through the additional 3 step honing process get the Bergara Barrels laser etched on them.

I understand that, and already knew that, but CVA says that only the Accura has the Bergara barrels, because the barrels that do not go through the full process are not considered Bergara Barrels.

Bergara makes barrels for other firearms companies too, not just Bergara Rifles and CVA. They make barrels for AR's, Remington 700 Barrels, pistol barrels, and more.

If you watched the videos and read that story I posted the link to, you should have picked up on that like everyone else did.

ER Shaw, Hart, Douglas, Shilen, and others, all make barrels for all those firearms, as well.

I wonder what the source is for the stock metal bars used for the blued barrels. Same supplier as the other CVA barrels?

CVA states on their website that ALL of their barrels are made by Bergara..

Every barrel that we use today is also made in Bergara at the BERGARA BARRELS factory, which, like CVA, is wholly owned by our parent company.

CVA states on their website that ALL of their barrels are made by Bergara..

Every barrel that we use today is also made in Bergara at the BERGARA BARRELS factory, which, like CVA, is wholly owned by our parent company.

OK, I am just telling you what they told me on the phone, 2 weeks ago.

Latest posts

Back