Weighing Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It only make sense that precisely weighing something every time would make it more consistent. Which in turn makes it more repeatable and accurate. As a whole most factory ammo is not as accurate as handling. Maybe that is one of the big factors. I personally found that once I started weighing blackhorn my accuracy improved.

Weighing powder is a personal preference thing. If someone believes that weighing goes towards his best accuracy, go for it. I weigh. Do I give a rip what others do to measure their powder? Not in the least.

The vast majority of ammunition/shells and reloaded ammunition in the world is loaded with volume-thrown powder charges isnt it? Pistol, rimfire, shotgun and factory centerfire?
It seems that using a volumetric powder thrower and a scale to verify a consistent accuracy between charges makes the most sense to me.
I think that, that way is smarter & much more efficient when having to do a lg volume of charges. A consistent method followed up with a reliable method to verify is a far better practice than either one of them individually.

For the record I DO weigh all my charges but experimenting with thrown charges I find no accuracy difference between a weighed charge or decently thrown charge even in my rifles that will shoot sub MOA out to 200 yds. In my SML's bullet to bore fit makes a substantial difference and in my centerfire rifles the jump to the rifling is a biggie.

Last edited:
The vast majority of ammunition/shells and reloaded ammunition in the world is loaded with volume-thrown powder charges isnt it? Pistol, rimfire, shotgun and factory centerfire?
And that is the exact reason most reloaders load their own. Improved accuracy through weighing of charges.

Last edited:
I've always weighed smokeless for centerfire rifles, just makes sense to me. I set the powder measures to weigh just under the desired weight and use trickled powder to come up to the correct weight. I do not weigh charges for most handgun cartridges but there are a few exceptions.

All my hunting up until I retired from it several years ago was with flintlock longrifles. For Black powder I use volume measures (home made volumetric measures from brass, antler, rivercane, etc.) to load rifles.

I've always weighed each load for centerline rifles. I know most bench rest shooters don't but they use fine grained powder that meters extremely consistent and a special powder meter that's way more accurate than the usual ones. For large granular loads it more consistent to weigh.

We can measure BP by weight and since BP is a set formula, the weight is constant. Unlike smokeless powders that very greatly. Now we have BP substitute powders that weight different but have the same bulk as Real BP. Those we can measure those by volume the same as BP even Thoe they would have a different weight. So a 70 grain measure of Real BP will hold 70 grain of BP by weight, it will hold the equivalent "Charge" of 'substitute powders'. But they will not weigh the same.

My take:
For competition at ranges of 150-200 yards and beyond, weighing makes sense.

For hunting at ranges up to 150 yds, there is no appreciable difference.

I have never had a scope on a Muzzy and never shot an animal past 120 yards. I get 2” groups with OPEN SIGHTS at 100 yards with volume measurements. With accuracy like that, it makes zero sense for ME to spend the extra time to weigh.

If you like to tinker and want 1” groups, by all means weigh them. But it doesn’t increase your odds of taking an animal out to 150 yards. Cause my 2” inch group only misses the bull 1/2” further than your 1” group at 100 yards.

So a 70 grain measure of Real BP will hold 70 grain of BP by weight, it will hold the equivalent "Charge" of 'substitute powders.
Nada. Volume is static. Weight can be all over the place per given volume of powder except when measuring/weighing the powder from an exact lot. Some subs are much more powerful than black powder and they have to be measured at a percentage less.... ie BH209 and T7 charges are measured and/or weighed at 70% less than black powder. 100 grains by volume of black is equal to 70 grains of T7 and perhaps BH209.... depending on lot number.

Last edited:
By volume, I use about a 15% reduction of powder when comparing black or pyrodex to 777 or BH 209. In other words, those powders are aprox 15% stronger (by volume) than black or pyrodex. That is why I start working up a load for those 2 powders at 85-90 gr by volume.

Weight difference? Pretty easy to look up that difference, except have to weigh each lot of BH 209

So a 70 grain measure of Real BP will hold 70 grain of BP by weight, it will hold the equivalent "Charge" of 'substitute powders'. But they will not weigh the same.
Let's try this to get things a bit clearer.

"So, a 70 grain by volume measure of Real BP will hold 70 grains by volume. Period". It doesn't matter which powder. Volume is volume. One is required to weigh each of the volume measures to determine the actual weight of each charge, regardless of the powder type.

Last edited:
I shoot only black powder and can say that different brands can have varying densities. Swiss is denser than Goex only because of the extra processing it gets. 70 grains of 2F won't weigh the same as 70 grains of 3F. The difference is rather slight but it's there. I load by volume exclusively. Once I find a charge that works for me I make a fixed measure for that amount.

I shoot only black powder and can say that different brands can have varying densities. Swiss is denser than Goex only because of the extra processing it gets. 70 grains of 2F won't weigh the same as 70 grains of 3F. The difference is rather slight but it's there. I load by volume exclusively. Once I find a charge that works for me I make a fixed measure for that amount.
The nice thing about Swiss 2F that I have found. Is that the volume measure and the weight measure of that powder are very close. Usually within a few grains of each other.

I generally do that, then something gets ahold of me and I try some different patch lube and that will make me try a different power charge and the hunt is on. Doesn't do much for dead deer, but keeps my interest up.
Squint

Latest posts

Back