What’s a decent group size at 100 yards?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wonder how many hunters or shooters would pay under $400 for a new accurate smokeless powder muzzle loader? I own 3 of them

I just wonder how many hunters or shooters would pay under $400 for a new accurate smokeless powder muzzle loader? I own 3 of them

I wonder why you are not asking this in the Smokeless section instead? Your question has nothing to do with this topic.

I must have missed something in that Hank's video. The unit looked undersized on that rifle and I do not see what is so special about those loaders??? Just over-complicating what should be very simple?

I must have missed something in that Hank's video. The unit looked undersized on that rifle and I do not see what is so special about those loaders??? Just over-complicating what should be very simple?

Rich, I was just pointing out another ignition option for the CVA's, besides what was mentioned previously. Those are direct ignition modules, that put the primer ejecta directly into the powder column, instead of traveling through a flame channel and flash hole. They hold a LRMP and screw into the breech plug pictured with them in the link.

They look like a PITA to me, but are very efficient, actually increasing FPS on the same loads shot through the more conventional breech plugs.

I'm with you on the simple. Give me a good sealing 209 primer ignition, and no PITA modules or primer carriers to reload.

Hope that helps explain what they are.

Besides the OEM CVA QRBP, Blackhorn 209, Western Powders breech plug, there are a couple other new options.

ASG has a LRMP module ignition breech plug with a carbide bushing.

Lehigh also has a new 209 QRBP replacement breech plug for the CVA's that utilizes a vent liner for only $26.

Rich,

Here is a video that explains the direct ignition.

Sorry for the EDIT Busta

Last edited by a moderator:

Not me they are not legal for muzzleloading seasons in New York. Here's a quote of the law.

“Muzzleloading long guns of .45 caliber or larger, and handguns .50 caliber or larger, loaded through the muzzle, with flint or percussion ignition, firing black powder or black powder substitutes are legal. Smokeless powders are not legal. Muzzleloading rifles or single shot muzzleloader pistols must be .50 caliber or larger to hunt Elk/Moose/Sheep. For Deer muzzleloading rifles of .45 caliber or larger, are legal for deer.”

Last edited:
I don’t think that video should be allowed to be posted. It shows smokeless powder being shot out of a black powder muzzleloader barrel.

The video shows good info., but someone somewhere is gonna do something stupid with their rifle and blame it on Modern Muzzleloader ‘cause it was posted and it seemed to be perfectly safe in the video.

Last edited:
I don’t think that video should be allowed to be posted. It shows smokeless powder being shot out of a black powder muzzleloader barrel.

The video shows good info., but someone somewhere is gonna do something stupid with their rifle and blame it on Modern Muzzleloader ‘cause it was posted and it seemed to be perfectly safe in the video.

Even though it was just for information, in this case i made an edit just because of the BP only barrel he used. He has another video without mentioning smokeless that is fairly clear how it works.

Sorry guys, I thought it was one I had seen before. I made a mistake of posting the wrong video, without watching it.

Good catch BDH, and thanks for editing it out GM.

I guess I'll have to find it and watch it all the way through.

SAFETY FIRST, LAST, AND ALWAYS!

Sorry guys.

No problem, i know you did not do it intentionally. It was just a minor oversight. I didnt even catch it right away.

Just went and watched that video, and is definitely not what I wanted to convey. Never would I recommend shooting anything but Black Powder or BP Substitutes in any BP designated rifles. I did find another video where he discourages, or doesn't recommend any non approved powders. I guess I'll leave it at that.

Busta, I didn't get to see it so you didn't cause me to kill myself. :D

Well, I'm glad to hear that!

It wasn't one of his brighter moments, nor mine for posting it without watching it all the way through first. I thought it was one I had seen before, but it wasn't. I found it again and watched it all the way through. I don't know what he was thinking?

Latest posts

Back