What a day :(

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read this for the first time. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Maybe she would feel better knowing there was a brand new muzzle loader for her to come home to.
Sheesh, if my wife would only think like that.

Encore, sounds like things are looking up for you both, I still have you and yours in my thoughts and Prayers.

Sheesh, if my wife would only think like that.

Encore, sounds like things are looking up for you both, I still have you and yours in my thoughts and Prayers.
She's got a LONG recovery coming, along with a lot of therapy.
I'm doing something right now I haven't done in decades........... laundry :)

Best wishes for you both. Glad you are over that sinus problem too.
btw, Royal Oak is actually a little NE of AnnArbor, everything else about driving down here is 100% spot on. If theres anything i can help out with please just ask.(except laundry)

Best wishes for you both. Glad you are over that sinus problem too.
btw, Royal Oak is actually a little NE of AnnArbor, everything else about driving down here is 100% spot on. If theres anything i can help out with please just ask.(except laundry)
I should have used Pontiac. Back in my working days I could drive anywhere and knew almost every shortcut down there in that hell hole. I spent every day on the road working for GM and testing parts, processes and designs.
It amazed me on Woodard where they use it as a drag strip. There's some serious drag racing going on down there in the city LOL

Glad she is doing better, and you were able to visit her. I was on the opposite side of this last year, wife was unable to see me due to covid rules. That's difficult for both people.

Awaiting updates, we haven’t forgotten you guys.

Awaiting updates, we haven’t forgotten you guys.
Its been ROUGH.............

There were some problems at the hospital that the wife finally told me about. It nothing short of PISSED ME OFF!
Quite frankly, if I'd have went down there, I'd have likely ended up in jail. I mean I was livid pissed off.

Without going into specifics of the issues, the wife was petrified of retaliation if I talked to anyone. Petrified enough that she wanted to argue with me over it. So I just kept my cool with her and started my own plan.

When I calmed down, I made a call down to the hospital to the Patient Advocate office. I explained to her the different issues and, that the wife was petrified of retaliation. She immediately told me that there would be no retaliation against my wife, nor anyone else in the hospital. She was pissed herself. She told me that these issues were 'Unacceptable and would be immediately addressed and corrected.' I could tell she was not happy.

About an hour later my cell went off and it ended up being the surgical nursing manager for the whole damn place. She had already visited my wife and heard the same issues from her as I'd given the PA. She told me that the issues were "completely unacceptable and would not be tolerated.' She told me the corrective measures she'd already taken, including reaming out the ass of the floor nursing supervisor and her staff.
One of the issues that I'll mention was that not a single staff member had offered my wife even a washcloth to wipe her face in 5 days. Come to find out, one of the nurses aids wrote in the records, that she asked my wife if she wanted a bath but my wife refused. BS! I told her that was a complete and total lie. My wife would have taken it without question. It was explained to me that these things rarely happen but, once the wife is released from the hospital, the nurses aid that put that in the record would be released (fired).

Had the wife not been so damn stubborn, I've have nipped the issues earlier. However it gets to a point where regardless of what may or may not piss the wife off, you have to make decisions in her best interest. Man up and just do it.

The patient advocates at these hospitals DO NOT screw around over patient care. Their expectations are that the staff will give nothing less than top quality and excellent care to patients. So my advice to any and all who may find themselves or a loved one in need, use those patient advocate services. They DO NOT BS AROUND.
I think if she asked someone to check for a toe jam, they'd rush to complete the task now.......

Latest update: Her actual surgeon stopped in to talk with her today (Sunday), along with the resident ortho who visits daily. The surgeon checked her leg and looked at the wife and smiled. He told her everything was perfect and the swelling was down. Her second and final surgery WOULD take place tomorrow at 3:00pm. It really lifted her spirits this morning, which she needed.

So this injury was bad enough that therapy is required. They initially were going to put her in a nursing home up here that has therapy. After talking with an EMT friend of mine up here, our hospital offers in-home therapy :) THAT is some of the best news yet for her recovery. Unless its an absolute last resort, I do not want her in one of the nursing homes, especially here in MI. Not to get political but, that's where they put all the covid patients in the beginning. They are not sterile and she doesn't need another complication.
I have some questions that need answering about how to get the in-home therapy started, along with other things of importance.

Thanks for asking and the concern. Its been rough.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear the hospital staff was not doing their job. I can only imagine what it would be like to not wash your face for 5 days. Good thing you stepped in and contacted the PA. Only question I have, is why would they wait to fire that nurse's aide, she needs to go now!

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear the hospital staff was not doing their job. I can only imagine what it would be like to not wash your face for 5 days. Good thing you stepped in and contacted the PA. Only question I have, is why would they wait to fire that nurse's aide, she needs to go now!
She told me its policy and always has been, that action is not taken until after the patient leaves the hospital. One can only speculate, that if the person was fired, THAT MIGHT give them reason to retaliate, which is why they wait until the patient has left. In reality, I like the process, which keeps the patient safe and the hospital out of hot water.
She's not assigned to my wife anymore and one might speculate the NA has been reassigned. It appears they keep them totally in the dark until the appropriate time.

Thanks that makes sense. Didn't think about that. This day and age, it's probably the best way to handle those type of releases.

I totally sympathize with you and your wife's situation vis-a-vis the nursing staff. I hope she goes through the surgery well, and I agree about not wanting her to be in a nursing home, rehabilitative, or not.

Went through a similar situation years ago when I was in recovery for a minor surgery. Told the doctor up front before the surgery that I was allergic to DIAL bar soap, which just happens to be the most commonly purchased bar soap used in hospitals nationwide. So, after being ignored for several days as far as bathing was concerned, just like in your wife's case, and bitching to the surgeon at Morning Rounds, what does the nurses aid give me a sponge bath with but a bar of DIAL soap that she concealed from me. And, me asking her repeatedly to make sure it wasn't DIAL, because I was allergic to it. Two hours later I'm breaking out all over in a poison ivy like rash, itching like a madman, and the doctor takes until nighttime to show up. By which time I am as miserable as a human being can be as I sweat against the plastic covered mattress on the bed. Needed steroids for the rash. I'm positive to this day she did it on purpose because she was angry at her work load, and pissed at the doctor when he ordered the bath

Its been ROUGH.............

There were some problems at the hospital that the wife finally told me about. It nothing short of PISSED ME OFF!
Quite frankly, if I'd have went down there, I'd have likely ended up in jail. I mean I was livid pissed off.

Without going into specifics of the issues, the wife was petrified of retaliation if I talked to anyone. Petrified enough that she wanted to argue with me over it. So I just kept my cool with her and started my own plan.

When I calmed down, I made a call down to the hospital to the Patient Advocate office. I explained to her the different issues and, that the wife was petrified of retaliation. She immediately told me that there would be no retaliation against my wife, nor anyone else in the hospital. She was pissed herself. She told me that these issues were 'Unacceptable and would be immediately addressed and corrected.' I could tell she was not happy.

About an hour later my cell went off and it ended up being the surgical nursing manager for the whole damn place. She had already visited my wife and heard the same issues from her as I'd given the PA. She told me that the issues were "completely unacceptable and would not be tolerated.' She told me the corrective measures she'd already taken, including reaming out the ass of the floor nursing supervisor and her staff.
One of the issues that I'll mention was that not a single staff member had offered my wife even a washcloth to wipe her face in 5 days. Come to find out, one of the nurses aids wrote in the records, that she asked my wife if she wanted a bath but my wife refused. BS! I told her that was a complete and total lie. My wife would have taken it without question. It was explained to me that these things rarely happen but, once the wife is released from the hospital, the nurses aid that put that in the record would be released (fired).

Had the wife not been so damn stubborn, I've have nipped the issues earlier. However it gets to a point where regardless of what may or may not piss the wife off, you have to make decisions in her best interest. Man up and just do it.

The patient advocates at these hospitals DO NOT screw around over patient care. Their expectations are that the staff will give nothing less than top quality and excellent care to patients. So my advice to any and all who may find themselves or a loved one in need, use those patient advocate services. They DO NOT BS AROUND.
I think if she asked someone to check for a toe jam, they'd rush to complete the task now.......

Latest update: Her actual surgeon stopped in to talk with her today (Sunday), along with the resident ortho who visits daily. The surgeon checked her leg and looked at the wife and smiled. He told her everything was perfect and the swelling was down. Her second and final surgery WOULD take place tomorrow at 3:00pm. It really lifted her spirits this morning, which she needed.

So this injury was bad enough that therapy is required. They initially were going to put her in a nursing home up here that has therapy. After talking with an EMT friend of mine up here, our hospital offers in-home therapy :) THAT is some of the best news yet for her recovery. Unless its an absolute last resort, I do not want her in one of the nursing homes, especially here in MI. Not to get political but, that's where they put all the covid patients in the beginning. They are not sterile and she doesn't need another complication.
I have some questions that need answering about how to get the in-home therapy started, along with other things of importance.

Thanks for asking and the concern. Its been rough.
Our Gov. is living large at the present but little does she know she'll be, sooner than she realizes, old with infirmities, I hope she remembers how she handled it!!!

So the surgeon calls me at 5:46pm this evening. He told me that the surgery went well with only a single change that had to be made. He was very pleased with how well her leg alignment was. He said that the other doctors were closing and that she'd be weaned off the anesthetic when they finished up. He said she's likely sleep the remainder of the night.

Extensive restrictions. She CAN NOT put any weight, ZERO, on her leg for 8 weeks. Physical therapy CAN NOT bend her knee for a minimum of 6 weeks. They will teach her before she's released to "toe touch" the floor. NOTHING MORE.
The first couple post surgery visits MUST be in his office. He mentioned he knew we didn't like that rat race but, it was necessary for him to see and review any and all progress. After the first couple in person visits, I guess the next couple are something done on line, kind of like Facetime or Skype but with medical teams/terms. I'll find out more about that down the road.
Any other restrictions will be provided before her release. We'll get a list of do's and don'ts

Release from hospital.......... When asked, he said that at maximum and that would mean issues causing it, she would be released no later than Saturday, but earlier was more likely. He said that if she worked at the rehab they do with her, the faster she'll get out.

Now the stickler question that I had to ask................... Please, please do not let them wait and want to release her on Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE DO NOT RELEASE HER ON FRIDAY!
He asked why and obviously he forgot that its Labor Day weekend. OMG he said. He then new what I was talking about.
For those of you that don't know about Labor Day in Michigan...... EVERY CRAZY, INSANE, DEMENTED, FOOL comes out of the woodwork, gets into their vehicles and travels "Up North" for the last long weekend of the year. Some will be closing up cabins, others opening up hunting camps, while others are out for FUN no matter how it happens. I can assure you that I-75 from southern MI to Soo Saint Marie and every other major road, will have those crazy, insane, demented and fools on them. Its the one long weekend we never go anyplace but, sometimes we go down the the launch and watch the insanity. I can assure you, its better than cartoons.

Back to coming hom........... After mention it, he said that he'll instruct PT to work with her and he felt that if she gave it 50%, she should be out of there Thursday. There still will be all "those people" on the road heading north but, not quite as many.

Sometimes in our lives, we're all required to pass through many tunnels. Some of these tunnels are short and the light at the end is very clear and bright.
Other times the tunnel is extremely long and very dark and you wonder if there's even a light at the end of the tunnel.
This evening, God has shown me that a long and very dark tunnel does have a light at the end. It may be long and dark, but the light IS there. He's not saying that it'll be easy traveling, but the light is there.
Enough said...........

Latest posts

Back