What a day :(

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad the surgery went well!! Yes it’s a long road ahead but just take it one day at a time. Being a full time caregiver can take its toll. Make sure you ask for help if needed and take care of yourself as well.

How’s things going George?
Thanks for asking.

The wife is still in the hospital and will likely remain there for awhile yet. Although the PT folks are happy with how she's doing, she's less confident. The immediate goal is to get out of bed and make it to the bathroom. So far the best she can do is get up, move a couple steps to a chair and set down. They have her setting about 2hrs at a time.
The surgeons have changed bandages a couple times, the second this morning. According to the doc, everything is going according to plan. No problems with any infections around the incisions and/or stitches. So health wise, the doc seems to be pleased.

I'm actually driving down tomorrow and visit for the day. I do know that I'll be stopping at the nurse's station to ask a few questions. I'm a little concerned that she might be slightly over medicated and the strength of the meds might need to be reduced, maybe the muscle relaxer eliminated. She even mentioned it this morning.
They have her on Zoloft and I have a concern there, at least with the dosage. She mentioned that she believes its making her dream almost to the point of having slight hallucinations. She said she woke up and felt something beside her leg, looked down and it was our last dog, Pepper. Pepper had to be put down exactly 2yrs ago today. :(
I know they've applied to Medicare and the insurance to move her into the hospital's rehab section. She would get more individualized care and more therapy there. Until she can stand and make it to the bathroom and back, she can't come home.

Its lonely here and its lonely for her there. This is going to take considerable time for her/us.
I've installed hand rails inside and outside, along with grab bars. The shower now has a hand held wand and I have a shower seat she wanted. Now the showers are large and have their own seat but, she wanted a different shower seat. What ever it takes to make her comfortable and safe.
We were talking the other day and I told her if we needed it, I'd run to town for some lumber and build an elevator and use a 12v electric winch :) What ever it takes. She laughed ;)

Thanks for asking.

George, sounds like you both are on the right track although a difficult one. The thing that I have found that helps most is to realize how many have it so much worse. You are doing an excellent job. In our thoughts and prayers.

My wife has been pushing for a walk-in for awhile now. I've been resistant. Maybe I (we) should re-think that. Good luck to you both, George.

Wow!, heartbreaking story. Hope your wife and you have better days real soon.

After 18 days in the hospital, she's finally out and really close to home. Actually about 30min is all. I picked her up and had everything ready for her long 4+hr trip to the rehab center up here. Both the PT and nurse were extremely surprised at how well I had things arranged for the comfort and safety of the wife. My "21" is a crew so we helped her in the drivers side back and on to the rear seat. She scooted across where I had two thick pillows for her to rest on the door with. Her left leg remained straight on the seat. Belted her all in and got the hell out of that rat race. Now her RN had asked her if she'd want some pain meds for the trip and of course the wife did. Needless to say, she slept 95% of the 4+hr trip. LOL
A new facility again and she was a little scared but, a couple of the gals got her laughing and took some of the edge off. They have some "different rules" there which we both will have to get used to but, at least she's within the county and 30min away.
Going to be a long recovery for her/us. Two things need to happen for her to come home. 1. She has to be able to make it from where she's setting or in bed to the bathroom and back. 2. She has to learn (with assistance) to get up and down 4 steps. If she can complete that, then she can have outpatient therapy.
I still haven't ruled out an elevator or even a ramp. It depends on the wife.
In the blink of an eye............

Glad to hear things are looking up.
I built an elevator with a 110 volt Harbor Freight winch, 1 1/2 tube, for the uprights and 1" tube for the trolley with Unistrut welded to the upright tubing, Unistrut makes trolley wheels for their strut. I used the expensive 600? lb rated ones but the person using the elevator weighed well over 300 lbs.

I'll be bringing the wife home tomorrow. Been just 3 days short of a month. She's pretty excited :)
I went in with PT with her today and they showed me how she gets up the steps and where/how I need to position myself.
She goes up the steps using a walker that's adjusted to be level and goes up backwards! Extremely clever how these PT's do things today.
Next Thursday I have to take her back to Southfield to the surgeon's office. One more trip down to that hell hole and everything after that is tele-conference.
He'll remove all those zippers on her leg LOL.... Zippers are what I call all the staples and OMG there's a ton of them.
Life starts anew again tomorrow. ;)

I'll be bringing the wife home tomorrow. Been just 3 days short of a month. She's pretty excited :)
I went in with PT with her today and they showed me how she gets up the steps and where/how I need to position myself.
She goes up the steps using a walker that's adjusted to be level and goes up backwards! Extremely clever how these PT's do things today.
Next Thursday I have to take her back to Southfield to the surgeon's office. One more trip down to that hell hole and everything after that is tele-conference.
He'll remove all those zippers on her leg LOL.... Zippers are what I call all the staples and OMG there's a ton of them.
Life starts anew again tomorrow. ;)
Wow, you’ve both been through a wringer other than watching her go through childbirth twice (she wanted another, I told her it’d probably kill me) I have gotten off light. I obviously don’t know either of you but your dedication shines right through brother. Very well done. She’s a lucky girl.

Back