What Breech Plug Grease/Anti-Seize Is Best?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've wondered about using a copper anti seize instead of a nickel or even the ceramic and graphite formulas. There are a lot of different anti seize lubes and i dont think breech plugs even come close to the worst that they(anti seize) are intended for.
Try getting out a breech plug that gobs of nickel was used on in a BP Xpress. After firing it, it is NOT coming out without it breaking. :)

I know exactly what you mean. This stuff is not that bad. Its black and consistency is just like other anti seize. But it wipes off easily. I picked up this tube at the local CarQuest, on a whim. 10oz tube will last beyond forever. I can send you an ounce or 2 if you want to try some.
I appreciate the offer.....I will try and find a tube locally so I can replace the Permatex stuff!

Has anyone tried Lucas Oil "Red 'N' Tacky" Grease?

When I bought a new prop for my boat, the shop recommended a tube of teflon grease. I use just a small dab on the threads. I think that was 1990...I still have the tube and have used more on breach plugs than on the prop screw; I have five, in all. I still have about 95% of the original grease in the tube. I lost it once, and bought a tube of lithium. I think they'll both last well after that "final auction" when I'm gone. Also good for lug nuts: lawn/woods trailers; quads; anything I might need to loosen in 3 or more years... I prefer the teflon as oil seems to separate from the lithium grease, and the tube always requires a good message and shake to recombine the two ingredients.

michiganmuzzly: Does the CRC Engine Assembly lube make a mess like Permatex #80078 Anti-Seize (silver color)? That stuff gets on any and everything it touches and it's close to impossible to clean off.....including your hands.

Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber will take the silver anti-seize off your hands, breech plug or whatever it is on.

Back