What bullets do you use?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM54-120 said:
HunterMan said:
I really like the looks of the gold dots. I have a bunch of the harvester crush rib sabots for a 50 cal but they are for the 44 cal bullets. Anyone use the 44 cal gold dots ?

The 44-270gr GoldDot is supposed to be a very good performer.

The 44-240 Gold Dot/Deep Curls also work well in my Omega. A less than perfect shot on a Doe still took her out quickly.

Man those Barnes and Lehighs and Thors sure do look good too. I may have to give all them a try.

All I hunt is whitetails and coyotes with my MLs. I use 200 and 250 gr Shockwaves depending on the gun I pull out of the rack.

I don't know how tough they will be but I picked up some .45 cal 230 gr. gold dots and MMP sabots today locally. I'll post on how they do as soon as I get a chance to shoot again.

I use a 500 gr paper patched Buffalo Arms Co. bullet .442 diameter. I shot a 185 pound 7 pointer this weekend with one of these at a range of 186 yards. It broke the right front shoulder took out top of the heart and both lungs. the bullet still weighed 407 grains with an expended diameter of .975 in. The slug was found under the hide about 8-10 in. behind his left front leg. Needless to say this deer dropped like he had been pole axed! I have chronograph-ed the bullet at an average of 1450 FPS and used a computer program to print out a graph with the estimated trajectory, which turns out was dead on the money. I hunt with a 45 cal. Knight Master Hunter Disc Extreme 1/20 twist barrel, with a Lehigh breechplug.

Speer Deep Curl 250gr. 45 cal. with a black crushed rib sabot over a weighted charge of 77 grains of 777. Got to see it in action with a 125# Tennessee eight point this afternoon. Bang/Flop Not one step. Died in his tracks after a high shoulder shot. No exit hole and lungs looked like salsa. Great bullet! I shoot a 50 cal. Remington 700 with a Derfhunter 209 bolt conversion. 3 shot groups are less than 1" at 100 yds. Thanks Derfhunter. That's one slick conversion.

GM54-120 said:
HunterMan said:
I really like the looks of the gold dots. I have a bunch of the harvester crush rib sabots for a 50 cal but they are for the 44 cal bullets. Anyone use the 44 cal gold dots ?

The 44-270gr GoldDot is supposed to be a very good performer.

The 44-270gr Gold Dot is a GREAT performer!!! On paper using 130gr 777 I get 1" or less groups @ 100 yds. On deer... let's just say 6 deer (between 20 yds and 160 yds) 6 shots. The farthest any of them went was 15 feet. They don't do a whole lot of meat damage, but BOY they sure do tear up the internals.

The 270g Gold Dot has put down more than a hand full of deer for me. However, they don't leave a blood trail. Deer don't travel after being smucked by this bullet. This is the bullet i use for antelope, and prairie deer.

Bullshop 460gn .5045 in the White Umag

Bullshop 400gn .504 in the Knight Elite

Hornady 300 .44 with a green MMP in the Knight Hawkeye Pistol

Hornady 350gn FTP over 100gns BH209. 1.5 inch groups @100 meters. No whitetail on earth can argue with 350 grains of hot angry lead.

Nosler Partition .451 260 gr w/ mmp short black sabots over 110 gr bh209. 3 shot 100 yds group 1"-1 1/4" all day long. best group ever .65". As far as performance ALWAYS complete pass thru and if not DRT there is always a good blood trail. cant ask for more.....

Latest posts

Back