What bullets do you use?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HunterMan

Reaction score
Whats your favorite bullet and or sabot combo for 50 Cal Muzzleloader?

I started out with the 240 grain XTP in a green Hornady sabot with two Pyrodex pellets in a Knight original Disc rifle and never changed. I got inch and a half 100 yard groups with that combination. With that accuracy proper placement is precise and easy.

I use a 270 grain Powerbelt Platinum Aerotip bullet and 100 grains of Triple 7 pellets.

HunterMan

At this time my number one favorite for deer whitetail or mulie would be the Lehigh .452/250 DOA pushed by 110 grains of T7-2f... For elk I would go with the .458/300 grain Lehigh and 120 grains of T7-2f

LehighVariety.jpg

My second choice and my old favorite was a Nosler Partion... for deer .451/260 grain and for .458/300 grain same powder loads...

You can find them in this picture...

BulletComparison.jpg

The bullets listed above are premium bullets and price accordingly...

If I wanted to shoot a great production bullet ( and do shoot them a lot) I would choose the Speer Gold Dot/Deep Curl. Again using the .452/250 HP for deer and the .452/300 grain for elk. The Speer is bonded and has controlled expansion. It is an awesome bullet.

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

But, by far right now - the Lehigh is way up there....

As you can see i am not much on the pointy type bullets for muzzleloading - I am more after terminal performance + my self regulations says that 200+/- is my max range... BC is not a huge factor in those ranges....

Batchief, Now thats one BIG bullet! As smyers said OUCH! and not to just the deer. What kinda load do you shoot with that?

This is one of my favorite nasty 50cals i use in my 54 and the older Barnes i used for years.

bullets1.jpg

These 300gr SOCOMS are pretty nice too and shoot very well in 50cals or 54s with a heavy load of BH209. :D

SOCOM2.jpg

P1010704.jpg

P1010696.jpg

I use Litefield 300gr with supplied sabot. also use there 12ga slug as well.

HunterMan said:
Batchief, Now thats one BIG bullet! As smyers said OUCH! and not to just the deer. What kinda load do you shoot with that?

I use 72gr. (by volume) Swiss 3F with an unlubed 1/8" felt wad over the powder. The recoil isn't bad from the White Super91. More like a "push"...

The Chrono says it's averageing around 1285-1300 fps. Swiss is a "hot" powder. Dirtier than T7,,,but not nearly as bad as Pyrodex. Clean-up is easy.

In a .50, I just don't bother anymore with anything other than Speer .452 Gold Dots/Deep Curls in either 250 grains or 300 grains. Some of my .50's shoot the lighter one best, others like the heavyweight better.

If I do any other experimenting in the future with bullets in the .50, it will be with the .451/230 grain Gold Dot. I've got an itch to see what those will do.

I really like the looks of the gold dots. I have a bunch of the harvester crush rib sabots for a 50 cal but they are for the 44 cal bullets. Anyone use the 44 cal gold dots ?

HunterMan said:
I really like the looks of the gold dots. I have a bunch of the harvester crush rib sabots for a 50 cal but they are for the 44 cal bullets. Anyone use the 44 cal gold dots ?

The 44-270gr GoldDot is supposed to be a very good performer.

I would try one of the following: Nosler Partition HG (out of production, but still available), Lehigh DOA, Speer Deep Curl, Parker Ballistic Extreme, or a Barnes product. I am using a 200 gr Lehigh DOA in my .45 and a 275 gr Parker Ballistic Extreme in my .50 this year. I am going to work up a load for my .50 MK-85 using one of the Speer Deep Curls over the Winter.

i've been using the 240 grain .430 XTP bullet for over ten years. Also use the 250 grain SST/Shockwave in a different gun. Both bullets have worked well: They have taken about 35 deer and dozens of hogs for me. Put either of those bullets in the right place and they will do an excellent job on whitetail deer and hogs.

Latest posts

Back