What kind of bow do you hunt with

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just might be using the oldest bow here. I'm shooting a 1970's vintage Bear Whitetail Hunter set at 50# and 50% let-off. It's got round wheels, and is extremely forgiving (I need a lot of forgiveness) :)
My arrows are Cabela's ACC or something like that, and I use some old Cabela's 3 blade broadheads.
The camo is my own spray paint job - it originally was a shiny brown.
It ain't putry, it's kinda noisy, and I've had quite a few deer jump the string, but I've put quite a few in the freezer, too.
I'm holding out to buy a crossbow either when Michigan decides to let Seniors use them, or when I can no longer draw a compound and I can get a special permit (I'm hoping for the former). :lol:

BowTech made for Gander Mountain set at 65-ish lbs, 3 pin set at 15yards, 25yards, and holy crap thats far away! Shoot a carbon 6705 with 100gr Muzzy 3-blade 1-3/8"cut, and don't forget the whiskerbiscuit rest.

Not the fanciest bow on the market, certainly not the fastest......but I've got a lot of hours on the range.........she's deadly accurate!

Scott B

PSE Beast w/ 4x4 limbs, been using the thing forever and have had superb performance from it. Trying to talk myself out of buying that Switchback XT, I really would like one, but I don't exactly have a $1000 laying around for it at this time.

PSE FireStorm Lite LH 60#
VDT Ultra-Rest (drop-away)
PSE Carbon Force Extreame 300 Arrows
Cobra Pro Caliper Release
PSE Micro sight... but looking for a new one as of this writing...
Muzzy 75 grain 3-blade or 85 grain Sonic broadheads....

Bowtech Tribute 70#, 29" draw w/ Smooth Mod
CE Maxima 350's w/ 100gr Teken II's
QAD Ultra-rest Pro
TruGlo Tru-sight 3 pin w/ light
Sims S-Coil
T.R.U.- Tornado Release
Kwikee 3 arrow quiver

First season coming up. Wish me luck!

Doohan,
That is pretty close to my setup. I have a 06 Tribute at 60# and 29 1/2 draw with fast mods. I have a set of smooths but seem to shoot better with the fasts, I think it is cause of the lower letoff at full draw. I like the poundage on anchoring right now but could change when the bottom falls out of thermometer. I put a QAD Ultra Rest Pro LD on it and I really like the locking feature. The sight is a five pin fibre Cobra, I have not shot more than one pin in 15 years but that is what the bow came with. I am using Easton Epic 400 carbon arrows with plastic vanes held in a 4 arrow Diamond quiver. This year I am going to try mechanicals. I have been shooting Easton firstcuts, a two blade expandable with a fixed blade dart point and so far I like the way it flies. Our opener is 10/01 and I fully intend to place my tag on a big old doe. Good Luck to eveyone and be safe!

I guess I fit in with you guys and the older bows.Hoyt spectra eclipse w/round wheels bought in 1989.55# 29" 2213 with cabelas 90 gr. broadheads.Use a NAP centerrest flipper,one pin set at 20 yds,and the release the good lord gave me on my birthday.I believe in the kiss "system" also.New bows w/accessories carry a hellish price tag,just dont know if I wanna try and hunt with all that "stuff".Know plenty who do and are successful,its a individualized sport,shoot what makes you happy thats all that matters!!

I'm shooting my newly acquired Hyot Trykon XL currently at 55blbs with Fuse Sights, quiver and stableizer. Talk about smooth, quite and flat shooting!! WOW
Oh, yea, shooting 100gr 1" Slick Trick Broadheads. And they do shoot like your field tips as advertize.

I still hunt with a PSE Polaris express game sport(mid-90's model), 2117 XX75's shooting with fingers love it. I can't afford a new bow but the one I have works just fine.

jaybe said:
Well, I just might be using the oldest bow here. I'm shooting a 1970's vintage Bear Whitetail Hunter set at 50# and 50% let-off. It's got round wheels, and is extremely forgiving (I need a lot of forgiveness) :)
My arrows are Cabela's ACC or something like that, and I use some old Cabela's 3 blade broadheads.
The camo is my own spray paint job - it originally was a shiny brown.
It ain't putry, it's kinda noisy, and I've had quite a few deer jump the string, but I've put quite a few in the freezer, too.
I'm holding out to buy a crossbow either when Michigan decides to let Seniors use them, or when I can no longer draw a compound and I can get a special permit (I'm hoping for the former). :lol:

i have a high country supreme made back in the early 90's. it has the old "hatchet cams" and a cast aluminum riser. added a sight, overdraw, and stabilizer and it weighs about 6 er 7 lbs! :shock: sounds like a train wreck when you shoot it. the harness finally wore out, and i havent gotten it fixed. basically gave up on bowhunting due to lack of success. ive noticed several folks who still like their old round-wheel bows. i had an old browning w/ round wheels and it was very forgiving (and slow). still, it's nice to shoot a bow that's pleasant to draw (unlike that supreme!).

i picked up a new bear grizzly about a year or so ago cause i wanted to get into traditional archery. still havent gotten it set up (surprisingly hard to find tackle made for traditional bows unless you order it, most pro shops seem to deal exclusively w/ compounds). i dont really have any hope of ever connecting on a deer with it, though, as it only draws #45. i know that's enough to kill a deer, but i'd have to be really, really close.

i want to get a new compound pretty bad and get back into bowhunting. bowhunting is nice and quiet, and there isnt so much hunter traffic in the woods. i think one of those reflex excursions would be nice. i'm not about to spend 600-800 on a bow when perfectly good ones are available for half that. considering my current equipment, i could probably get just about any new bow and it'd be an improvement! :D

I'm a switch hitter. left and right, Mathews and Bowtech

I shoot a Mathews SQ2 68lbs, WB rest, Truglow rover sight, ICS Venture 400, Rocket steelhead 100's or Crimson talons -Left Handed.

I shoot a Bowtech Patriot, 68lbs, Trophytaker Shakey, Truglow rover sight, ACC 339, Crimson talons or Rocket Steelheads -Right handed.

I'm natural lefty but shoot way better righty (cross-dominant eyes). I use the bows interchangeably depending on the blind or tree set up. Just whacked a 4 pt 148 lb buck (Vermont) yesterday (Oct 7, 4:35) with the SQ2 and a Rocket through the pump. Smell those backstraps cooking!!! :D
Both great bows, slight edge to Bowtech IMHO.

what bow do you hunt with

i rely on old faithfull for me. i shoot a bear kodiak magnum. i just bought it.

i have shot a 74 kodiak magnum for a few years and loved it so much that i had to get a new one exactly like it.

good luck to all this season.

I shoot a Parker Phoenix 32
70#
29"
Montec broadheads
29" pse 300 carbon arrows
savage pendulum sight
Short, light, and super fast (315 fps) plus Lifetime warrenty.
I

This year I hunted with 2 bows, a Bow Tech Allegiance, and a Elite E-Force
I shoot for the local Pro shop so I usually get the first new toys of the year.

My BowTech guardian should be here any day,this seems like a very innovative weapon.

Fred Bear Take Down Recurve 60" 60#@28". Black Widow PSAV 58" 56#@28". Easton 2117 Shafts with Magnus 2 Blade heads...............

New guy here. For bow I shoot a Diamond Rapture. Nice and short for turkey. Plenty hard enough for deer. Fast too.
I shoot it at 60 pounds, copper John sight with a biscut. For a shorter brace It's actually pretty forgiving.
Bought it two years ago.

Back