What kind of bow do you hunt with

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2003 Darton Fury @60 lbs
whisker biscuit
trophy ridge flatliner 5-pin sight
TRU Fire Hurricane release
Carbon Express 300 shafts
WASP SST Boss and Jak-Hammer broadheads
No Peep - Peep sight eliminator

MAthews Switchback 60lb and 28"draw. Cranked all the way up it's 63lbs. I shoot Satellite Platinum carbons with 100gr Ironheads. I shoot it through a Whisker Bisquit rest, that thing is amazing. I also shoot the bow in a Hunters league from October to March. Shoots nice and smooth. Not to much longer and I'll be back up in my tree!

Previously - XI Paragon, Cobra sights/rest, Unknown hunk of metal stabilzer, Easton Aluminums
This year - Mission X3, HHA sight, Whammy rest, Stealth Stabilzer, and CX Maxima Hunters.

No more 30 yard hail Mary's for me!

Coming soon...Bowtech Equalizer, 50lb limbs, 25" draw. TruGlo Glosites, S-coil, and Ripcord rest. Projectile in all likelihood will be a 500 Axis Obsession arrow with a 100 grain 2 blade Magnus Stinger on the killin' end.

Mathews Swithcback XT, 28 inch draw, set at 60lbs.
Rip cord rest
HHA optima sight with click adjustments, HHA optical mount with Bushnell Holosight ( got both, still deciding which I like best)
Truball release
Somekind of darn expensive arrows :roll:
G5 Montec Broadheads

Bear "Truth", 72lbs., 29.5" draw
QAD Ultra Rest
Extreme sight
Cobra release
Ultra-Nok
Maxima 250's
Rage 2-Blade

Hey Corvair how do you like that "Truth"? Isn't that the latest thing out from Bear?

Rifleman said:
Hey Corvair how do you like that "Truth"? Isn't that the latest thing out from Bear?

Yep, the newest thing from them and I Love it! Light weight, short axle to axle spec's and very fast. Also extremely quiet which means alot when that buck is in close.

Was kind of a toss-up between a new bow and a NULA 50 cal.. But since I havn't bow hunted in the last 4 years decided it was time. Also, my buddy bought a new Adrenalin and that kind of pushed me over the edge.
Also wanted to keep mommy happy as well. 8)

I forgot how much fun it is to shoot a bow. Also being that I exclusively hunt on state land and have to compete with other hunters it just makes sense to pick up the "old stick", well morelike the "new stick".During bow season, deer hunters are practically non-existant on state land.

I also have my eye on a 160-ish 10 point from last year, that I personnaly witnessed beating the snot out of a monster 8 point during bow season, but I was scouting for gun at the time. This area was completely void of any bow hunters and it is the spot where I killed my 10MLII buck from opening day last year.

I am sure you are liking your new matthews as well!!!! They are excellant light weight and quiet bows, I know my buddy likes his Adrenalin.

p.s. How's the pie been lately! :wink:

doegirl said:
jnrbronc said:
redfish said:
I Still have my old PSE Phaser round wheel(1984),don't hunt with it anymore but it's still fun to shoot and more accurate than my newer bows.

:D I'm still hunting with my 1983 PSE Vulcan (round wheel), 65#, shooting 29" Easton Gamegetter II's 2217's, Bear razorheads, old cork screw arrow rest and a cheap Crack Shot release. Seems to work for me and the price of new equipment scares me, though I am starting to look.

That's awesome! Just goes to show you don't have to buy a bow a year just to be a successful hunter :twisted: I'd say you got your money's worth out of that bow.

Well, the old PSE is officially retired. I bought a used Mathews Legacy in March of 2006. Trophy Taker Shakey hunter rest, Copper John Dead Nuts sight, Easton Axis 400's with Wasp Jakhammers and a TRU Ball release. Nothing like a 20 year jump in technology. I've used it for spring turkey '06 (unsuccessfully), then used it for deer season '06 and spring turkey '07 (successfully!). I'm plan on getting my money out of this system as well.

Getting really pumped for deer season '07 to start Oct. 1.

I use the following bows to hunt with:

2007 Monster Phoenix - 63# (Deer)
2007 Mission X3 - 50# (Fish)
2006 BowTech TomKat - 65# (Deer)
2001 Oneida "Monster Modified" Black Eagle - 65# (Hogs)

I hunt with 3 bows - the condition of my shoulder determines the bow I use.
1) Prefered - Palmer Classic(recurve) 52#@ 29", 2117s,left helical feathers, 100 Satallite Titans
2) Commonly used after leaves are off - Hoyt Razortec,60#,2413s, 125 Thunderheads - always use this bow for bear. 3 bear with this bow.
3) Parker x-bow - in Dec and when shoulder precludes shooting other. 100 Thunderheads or 100 Spitfires.

I currently hunt w/ a Mathews switchback XT and I just bought a Renagade TX5, this will be my back up and bow that I take on trips after tagging out w/ my rifle. Mabye some 3D next year.

Mathews Legacy - 29" draw, 70#
Trophy Ridge Matrix sight and DropZone rest
PSE Carbons with Slick Trick bhs

Started with a Bear Kodiak Magnum in early 70s
followed by a couple Browning compounds
Then a Oneida Eagle in '87 until I bought the Legacy sometime after

Matthews makes a great bow, but they don't make the only bow. I shot all the newest offerings from Matthews, Hoyt, PSE, Bowtech, and AR 3 years ago.

The bow I ended up with is the Hoyt X-tec. To me it was the smoothest, deadest in the hand, quietest and most forgiving at that time. I've since shot a Switchback and it is a little more dead in the hand, but I still really like X-tec. Here is my set up:

*Hoyt X-tec
*Copper John Dead Nuts Hunter sight
*Whisker Biscuit rest (I've also got a NAP fall away for 3-D's, but the WB seems to be as good of a rest to me). I've stopped changing it out. Stays in hunting trim now. For hunting, the WB is the best rest in my opinion. I've had an arrow jump the rest on me while drawing with conventional rest on a 7 pt piebald buck. Never had it happen with the Whisker Biscuit. Hard to change what works.
*Cat whisker string silencers
*Easton Carbon Epic 400 arrows
*Rocky Mtn Broadhead (3 blade slip cam expandable) Snipers - predacessor to the Rage broadheads ( so someone told me anyway)
*Scott Shark Release
*Vibracheck Stabilizer

Whispercreek Sweet Demi. 65#
victory 5000 carbon arrows
keller pend. sight
whisker b. deluxe
muzzy 3bld. 100gr
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

lungbuster1
laconia IN

Martin Jaguar Magnum.....Gold TipXT Hunter Arrows5575...Muzzy 100 Broadheads....Does the job for me..... :D :D

Back