What muzzleloaders can shoot smokeless? Any sidelocks?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I never have used smokeless in a muzzleloader. I don't have the knowledge or experience to even try it. But I am curious as to what rifles are able to shoot it? I read a couple articles over 20 years ago, where people shot or tested a Ruger "Old Army" with smokeless and it worked fine.

So, how do you know what can and what should not fire smokeless?

Thanks

I never have used smokeless in a muzzleloader. I don't have the knowledge or experience to even try it. But I am curious as to what rifles are able to shoot it? I read a couple articles over 20 years ago, where people shot or tested a Ruger "Old Army" with smokeless and it worked fine.

So, how do you know what can and what should not fire smokeless?

Thanks
BP only stamped on barrel is a hint! /Ed

i recently read in a thread here that the Woodman Arms Patriot can handle light loads of smokeless with the standard barrel .
how light , i have no idea .
i'm just parroting what i've read here in the hope that folks will elaborate on it's abilities .

Last edited:
I recommend you do a lot of searching and a lot of reading up.. smokeless muzzleloaders are as safe as the user is but that only goes so far and things can get ugly really fast. There are not very many factory rifles that are smokeless rated..In fact I can only thing of 2. The savage being one and from what I have read the patriot is capable of light loads but again.. go to the manufacturer on what’s considered “light” the rest of your smokeless choices are gonna be custom builds

i recently read in a thread here that the Woodman Arms Patriot can handle light loads of smokeless with the standard barrel .
i'm just parroting what i've read here in the hope that folks will elaborate on it's abilities .
That is true, only the 40 and 45 cals. The 50 is not suitable. The 45 caliber has a recommended max of 45kspi.

That is true, only the 40 and 45 cals. The 50 is not suitable. The 45 caliber has a recommended max of 45kspi.
for comparison ...... what kspi would 100 grains by volume of 777 fffg (or BH209) in a .50 cal create with a 250 grain bullet ?

for comparison ...... what kspi would 100 grains by volume of 777 fffg (or BH209) in a .50 cal create with a 250 grain bullet ?
Most factory .50 muzzleloaders are rated for 25k-30k, IIRC. So, something less than that I’d guess. Maybe someone else here has a more precise answer.

Most factory .50 muzzleloaders are rated for 25k-30k, IIRC. So, something less than that I’d guess. Maybe someone else here has a more precise answer.
Here in the U.S., we have private pressure testing by some of the gun companies, and largely it is our lawyer population that assures we have very good barrels made in the U.S., rather than a Proof House as in Europe or the British Isles. The Proof Houses have had some very important criticisms over the past few centuries, and yet our own "Proof House", lawyers, have negated the need for an actual Proof House in the U.S.
I'm hoping you or others on this Forum can elaborate on European pressure testing, since so many MLs were and are made there. I'm very familiar with CUP and psi pressure testing and pressures as for modern firearms and also black powder cartridge guns, but have always wondered how the MLs are pressure tested under European proof laws where they measure in kilograms or BAR rating; namely, what are the European proof parameters for, say, a .45 and .50 ML barrel, and how can we Yanks extrapolate that to pressure measured by CUP or psi?
Then we can much better talk about smokeless powder and ML barrels.
Thanks and aloha, Ka'imiloa

Testing a muzzle loader should be pretty easy, unscrew the primer area, screw in pressure test device and use electric hot wire to fire the charge. Not a lot of reason to not have known pressures. Don't even need to wreck a barrel.

Of course that sounds a lot more simple than it really is, but shows what could be produced by big powder companies for not a huge amount of money.

That is an interesting device. It does say that on octagon barrels you will need a known pressure to calibrate the system. At $800 it might save someone who is trying to develop maximum loads from a trip to the hospital. If it worked on the thicker barrels, and was a little cheaper, I might pick one up.

Here in the U.S., we have private pressure testing by some of the gun companies, and largely it is our lawyer population that assures we have very good barrels made in the U.S., rather than a Proof House as in Europe or the British Isles. The Proof Houses have had some very important criticisms over the past few centuries, and yet our own "Proof House", lawyers, have negated the need for an actual Proof House in the U.S.
I'm hoping you or others on this Forum can elaborate on European pressure testing, since so many MLs were and are made there. I'm very familiar with CUP and psi pressure testing and pressures as for modern firearms and also black powder cartridge guns, but have always wondered how the MLs are pressure tested under European proof laws where they measure in kilograms or BAR rating; namely, what are the European proof parameters for, say, a .45 and .50 ML barrel, and how can we Yanks extrapolate that to pressure measured by CUP or psi?
Then we can much better talk about smokeless powder and ML barrels.
Thanks and aloha, Ka'imiloa
we really should have a proof house like england ive been to the burmingham proof house its cool

That is an interesting device. It does say that on octagon barrels you will need a known pressure to calibrate the system. At $800 it might save someone who is trying to develop maximum loads from a trip to the hospital. If it worked on the thicker barrels, and was a little cheaper, I might pick one up.
IIRC that's the program most over on Doug's and Hank's used to determine charges. I could be wrong. It could have been a different strain gauge?

My first and only question is, does applying extremely high voltages to the gun metal, change or alter the metal in any way? Gun metal is different from normal copper or aluminum wires carrying an electrical current.

Groups or clubs may be able to afford this tester.
Personally, I believe it's neat, but unless I was a gunsmith, I would have no real World use for it.

Click the load Data Tab on the woodman arms website.
Here is what I copied from that page:
.45 caliber 1-20 twist cut rifled barrel. (This is a different Barrel and the only one which is suitable for smokeless powder)

This barrel is great for full bore bullets that are sized with a smooth sizing die. Fury and Parker offer great 250, 275 and 300 grain bullets for use in this.

If you wish to shoot smokeless powder, please contact Mark Woodman at [email protected]

Back