What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New?
Just picked up this Curly Red Maple stock 95% done. I'm going to do some inletting for a patch box.

Nose Cap, TC Hawken barrel, Patchwork, Barrel Wedge, Buttplate , Trigger Set and Lock from ebay. All parts just bought from time to time. Going to place a Williams FP Hawken rear tang sight on it.

Any suggestions for this older Army vet with 59yr old eyes for a good front globe sight I can use in low light and accuracy?

Many thanks!
SHADOWFOX64
Ranger point precision, they have smaller fiber optic than most places and they are really fast shippers.1C523DE4-72E1-4B7B-A9B9-34A252051039.png

what is your punch diameter? (what punch?) is it just a 45 cal wad punch?,, i haven't tried "poly" yet,,, one can't shoot much better than this!!
I’m using a cheap 12 mm (nominal) punch, so they’re pretty tight. The wads are in the neighborhood of .460” - I’d have to measure them again to tell you for sure. Yes, I’ve been pleased with the results!

Trying to catch the final rays of the rare sunshine thru the evening window. #3 steel wool and paste floor wax took off the too shiny. Got the 32" X 1-1/8" false muzzle bbl ready to brown tomorrow if I can get the woodstove hot enough. Unless I can do a switch bbl it'll be a bench gun. Measures a tight 58 but probably a 56, dunno yet. Really rough casting on the H&A action so it may take a few. Hell I still need to order 50 and 54 cal balls and patching for the guns that are done. With illness and a long winter I didn't get to trap or shoot any. My friends say I build'um better than I can shoot'um...How true!! LOL
Trader, I dabble in wood projects from time to time and might I just say that's one fine job you got goin' on there! Love the way the grain seems to jump out at ya!

Trader, I dabble in wood projects from time to time and might I just say that's one fine job you got goin' on there! Love the way the grain seems to jump out at ya!
It all has to start with a well figured piece of Maple. This is from Pecatonica River. Doug and the crew do a great job! Also to Harley's boss and this forum for recommendations and support......Trader

3rd tru-oil coat on my first attempt at staining Maple on a UH H&A I'm building, posted raw wood pictures awhile back..It's a TRICK 'cause it requires lottsa patience
Really nice job on the wood. You should be very proud of that & I hope you get lots of compliments on it. Im sure you will.

Trader,

That is the best looking stock work I've seen in awhile!

Would you mind sharing your stain and finish used? I've got a Curly Red Maple stock blank and would like similar results.

Thank you!

SHADOWFOX64
Plzzz do post pics of that stock, perhaps a raw pic & a finished pic would be nice.

Well i ruined the 1st try on making a antler measure. Just went too deep with the follow up drill bit. 2nd try i almost messed it up, got very thin in one area but did not go through. I have a 55 gr measure now. So i took the Burr secton n drill out the 3rd n its now a 75 gr measure. I have several more parts of the antlers i got yesterday to drill out for diff gr measures

Weather was cold@ 23*, snow in spurts and gusty winds. The perfect day to go to the range. I took my Accura and my AR. The Accura showed me again why i love the bh209. 10 shots with 5 being 777 and 5 being bh209. All with Fed 209mz primers and 200 XTPs in LBCR sabots. 50 yards. Blue group is bh209 80grV. Red group is T7 80grV.
53AC965B-0468-4E00-BE9D-62185F93D32E.jpeg

Weather was cold@ 23*, snow in spurts and gusty winds. The perfect day to go to the range. I took my Accura and my AR. The Accura showed me again why i love the bh209. 10 shots with 5 being 777 and 5 being bh209. All with Fed 209mz primers and 200 XTPs in LBCR sabots. 50 yards. Blue group is bh209 80grV. Red group is T7 80grV.
View attachment 32526
Wow nice shooting. I wish I could afford/obtain BH209 in my area. Is either OOS or 80 dollars for 8 oz. Nice grouping.

View attachment 32526
I'm the new guy to powder and y'all are exactly right, there is a BIG difference in accuracy due to just powder. That or when you were shooting the T7 the wind suddenly came up!😆

Muzzleloaders.jpg
Thought I'd bring these to your attention today as there's been lots of talk about stock finishing and Maple stocks this week. Not sure what the top rifle is but it's in .54. The gun on the bottom with the amazing stock is in .58. Both are left handed and described as being in good condition The ad states that the lower gun is from an unknown manufacturer. They are currently listed on Gunpost in Canada for $400 CAD as I type this. If I were left handed the deal would already be done!! Any ideas on who made the lower rifle, it looks like amazing craftsmanship?

View attachment 32533
Thought I'd bring these to your attention today as there's been lots of talk about stock finishing and Maple stocks this week. Not sure what the top rifle is but it's in .54. The gun on the bottom with the amazing stock is in .58. Both are left handed and described as being in good condition The ad states that the lower gun is from an unknown manufacturer. They are currently listed on Gunpost in Canada for $400 CAD as I type this. If I were left handed the deal would already be done!! Any ideas on who made the lower rifle, it looks like amazing craftsmanship?
The top one looks like a vintage CVA rifle. Hard to say about the bottom one, could be a custom made, although some early CVA Mountain rifles, especially USA made guns did use some nice stock wood.

My brother brought over his gun rest and we went out on the front porch to bore sight the muzzleloaders I have not shot yet.We set up a target about 15 yards to get them on paper when we get a channce to get out.The 1st was the Knight Mountaineer 45 cal 1;20 twist barrel and the 2nd is my Omega 45 muzzy with Woodman Arms 45 cal sml barrel.Pulled the bolt and breecch plug on the Knight and looked through the barrel and on the Omega I dropped the trigger guard and pulled the plug and sighted down the barrel.Took all of 20 minutes to bore sight both of them.

Latest posts

Back