What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My best friend just lost his dad yesterday. He went ahead and got all of the guns out of the house and took them home.

There were a few BP guns in the lot, so he came by to talk. Haven't seen the guns yet, but I know one is a TC Big Boar 58. Another is a caplock 54. The other is a caplock pistol. The latter two will be identified on Saturday when he brings everything by.

He said he was gonna sell everything because he knows nothing about BP. I talked him into holding off and let me teach him how to use them first. So it looks like I'll be doin some teaching Saturday! And maybe givin a brother a way to connect with his dad.

He helped me 2 years ago when I lost my Pop. I just hope I can return the favor.

still fighting to get to feeling better. I mounted a scope to my Wolf V2 so my grandson can get some experience on a scoped MZL. He just loves hanging with grandpa shooting these smoke poles. Got him hooked shooting the CVA 32 cal squirrel now we move up to the 50 cal scoped MZL. Found a traditions 3x9x40 on GB for 100 bucks will make a good scope for the wolf.

Several months of bad weather has kept me from shooting. I made it out to my shooting table today. I got 9 shots off n got on my target n hit the 1.5" orange dot . My 1st shot was about 18" low n few inches to the left. Used my T/C .45 Hawken, just had put on a reflex 4 moa red/gn. dot. Now its work on load combo's with it til its hitting like i want it to be. I started with prb's, 45 gr of 3 f GOEX n half a cotton ball over the powder

Last edited:
I weighed out some more N120 charges for the next range session with the McGowen Omega.

And started making some final application decisions on muzzy hunts in Colorado.

Got a replacement barrel from Patriot Valley today wanted to give them a shout out, they stand behind their product ,their machine work is excellent it's a 16 twist , got it sighted in shot a half inch three shot group shoot it a little bit more the 16 twist is to do more work with the 400 grain bullets and just because I want to shoot one

Been mixed bag day for me, made 2 more antler powder measures. Then i took my .45 sml out to shoot at 25 yards with bore riders. Shot twice n they both yawed, bummer wool wad 32 gr of 4759. So i loaded up same charge using B4540R sabot. I was going for a 5 shot group. 1 hit high n 3 cut each other. Then things went bad for me as i snapped 4 DI modules but no ignition. So i pulled BP n knocked out powder n pushed sabot n bullet on out of barrel. Must be something wrong with firing pin in my NEF break action. I need another repair bill like i need another SUV break down.

Last edited:
weighed a bunch of charges for the grandson and the .32 cal squirrel rifle. I was informed that he was coming over this weekend and we are gonna go all Daniel Boone in the woods. I laughed for 10 min. He has the itch bad.

My best friend just lost his dad yesterday. He went ahead and got all of the guns out of the house and took them home.

There were a few BP guns in the lot, so he came by to talk. Haven't seen the guns yet, but I know one is a TC Big Boar 58. Another is a caplock 54. The other is a caplock pistol. The latter two will be identified on Saturday when he brings everything by.

He said he was gonna sell everything because he knows nothing about BP. I talked him into holding off and let me teach him how to use them first. So it looks like I'll be doin some teaching Saturday! And maybe givin a brother a way to connect with his dad.

He helped me 2 years ago when I lost my Pop. I just hope I can return the favor.
The damage is done...

A few days ago he was wanting to sell them all. Now he's addicted! We had a blast, and he not only smiled, but laughed more than he has since last year, had a great time!!!

We started with cleaning and inspecting them all. Then I taught him how to shoot some unmentionables that he was afraid of. From there we progressed to the BP. His reaction made the pain in my back from standing so long dissappear (at least temporarily)!

Before he left he asked me to teach him to hunt, and set a goal to hunt with every gun he inherited. He said they will never leave his possession, and that he understood why his Pop loved them so much.

Thanks to all that helped me ID the smoke poles and find the data I needed for them!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230401-194508_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230401-194508_Video Player.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230401-194612_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230401-194612_Video Player.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230401-194349_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230401-194349_Video Player.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230401_154832.jpg
    20230401_154832.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
High winds n T-storms n tornados have stopped my shooting. So i have been making antler measures, have been putting lanyards on half dz. I made a 15 gr one, still cleaning my work table off. That may take me til this Fall as slow as i am. I fixed a hanging board above work table. I have hung my 3 powder horns up n my 3 Possibles bags up. I am ordering 2 complete insert-bushing sets to install in my powder horns base. This will allow me to fill the horns without dribbling powder down the 1/4" spout opening.

Back