What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found my Barrel, 2 little boys were mudhole spear fishing with it i guess. Things i learn, yes they had a 13/16" .40 cal., they cut a 42" down to a 32". Of course i paid for the 42". I assume it cost more than the 36" barrel that was to be cut down to the 32". Learning lesson ! The milled flats on this octagon Colerain is going to take me a lot of time to get smooth n polished. All i have is 320 grit sandpaper. I will get some about half that grit to get all of the mill cuts down.

Found a low-pressure 45 caliber sabot load. 95 grains of Acc4064 with a 200 grain 40 caliber bullet in the Harvester High Pressure 40/45 sabot. QuickLoad predicts a pressure of less than 28,000 psi. The velocity was about what QuickLoad had predicted.

This velocity is higher than a 200 grain bullet out of a 30-06. Accuracy was less than 2 MOA so far. I am going to tweak the load during the next few days.

Attachments

• Sabot Load 200 gr Acc4064.jpg
    Sabot Load 200 gr Acc4064.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
HV.... How heavy is the gun you shot this 4064 load in and how was the recoil? 95 grains of powder seems like a lot with a 200 grain pill.

HV.... How heavy is the gun you shot this 4064 load in and how was the recoil? 95 grains of powder seems like a lot with a 200 grain pill.
You are correct. It weighs about 11 pounds, and has a slip-on buttpad. The recoil was not bad at all.

I am going to try a little more powder today, because it has a 1.125" barrel shank. QuickLoad predicts the pressure at less than 30,000 psi,

Thanks for the weigh HV. I'm afraid that your load would fracture my shoulder in the Patriot the weighs maybe 7-1/2 pounds. lol

I have been draw filing my barrel. Takes me a rough 10 minutes a flat doing that. So i figure another hour filing barrel n couple hours with sandpaper to get it smooth. Have not decided about what finish i want to play with on the barrel yet.
I have just one flat to go on filing. Then i will 320 grit sandpaper that booger smooth on the upper 5 flats.

Last edited:
Took my new to me TC thunderhawk 54 caliber to the range this morning. Humid as hell and 80 degrees at 7:30. Maybe not the best day but I got off a few shots nonetheless.
First 3 or 4 at 25 yards and finished up with 2 shots at 50. The 50 yard target was a paper plate that someone left up.
I held at the 6 o'clock and my shots struck a bit high of my aim point.
The load was a .530 ball, .018 cotton patch and a wool over powder wad.
70 grains [v] Triple 7 3f.
Still have work to do with the little carbine.

Attachments

• 20230715_081908.jpg
    11.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230715_084612.jpg
    11.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230715_084711.jpg
    10.4 MB · Views: 0
I did some more knurling today on .40 bullets for the smokeless .45. I was cleaning the tackle/hunting closet today and found another three bags of the Harvester blue sabots. Its an odd feeling having more sabots than bullets.

I also found a new package of SST 200 grain in .40 cal and the sabots that came in the package. No idea where I acquired these guys, but I knurled them up too.

Maybe I should clean that closet more often, eh.

I picked up 2 tins of #11 caps from maulmart. Plus i have been cleaning my work bench of all extra stuff to pack n move to Mo. this weekend. I am looking for a piece of hardwood to try n make a forearm for my Under-Hammer. Trying to also figure how to layout bottom of bbl. with thimbles n ramrod.

Back