What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started feeling a little nostalgic for my traditional rifles so I got one of my old Hawkens out and admired it. Been a few months since I’ve shot her.
Awwwwe, now I wanna go hug my sidelock too. Its been a long time since I took it out of the case to wipe it down & let it breath.....and cuddle with jussss a lil bit

Experienced another reason why I much prefer muzzleloaders. SOOO much simpler!
I bought a very nice, extremely accurate Interarms Mark X. 30-06. Even though open sighted, for now, her performance is outstanding.
But... Primers protrude with factory loads inspite of feeling the bolt drag when chambering. And as a bonus, the base to neck measurement of the fired case, minus the proud primer, is .005 SHORTER than the unfired case.
While I hope it's just an ammo issue, headspace is fine judging by the resistance to bolt closure, I have to admit this is a problem... unlikely to be experienced with a muzzleloader!
Someone once said " Breechloaders are a passing fad"...

I prefer to shoot my Muzzleloaders as to my Rem700 in 280Rem. who I named "Mr. Death". Everything I ever shot with it was bang flop or died within a few feet. I love the loading, smoke, and making you a better shooter as you only get one shot. Or maybe in my past life I was a frontiersman and it brings back memories??? :D

But the best part is that I got the primer blowback issue fixed while using the cheddite primers.
I've lit up BH with about 200 Cheddite primers this fall in my Accura .50 and Kodiak .45 without any blow back issues. I've been happy with them but still haven't tried them in the Optima pistol and BH or in the Patriot with smokeless.

Back