What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't wait. I ordered a Blue/Black Scout 45-70 from Sportsman Warehouse to have Hankins convert to a SML. Should be at my local store Jan 31st. No muzzle brake on this version but I will likely have one put on during the conversion but want your all's opinion. This gun will be mainly for sabot loads using the N120 and 195 to 225 grain bullets. I can probably get by without the brake? I think LBA shoots one without the brake? If I end up liking this shooter I'll probably get the stainless/muzzle brake version later this year. Thoughts?
Great plan. Ive shot my ss conversion plenty, without the brake at 100yds. N110 and a 180gr sabot/bullet. I didn’t notice any difference in accuracy. I havent compared at 200 yet so idk but i dont really expect it’ll change much. It is just the factory brake tho and i have little knowledge of brakes to say whether its good or bad. Leaving it off sure does make it easier to load.

Finally got these pins done. If I recall, there were a few people looking for Omega action pins. These are knurled as you can see in the pic. Some of those older actions had grooved pins and our replacement barrels do not have provisions for that. These will solve that, or if you just need pins we have them. Will be up on our website shortly.
These are 17-4 stainless and will not rust.

Attachments

• PXL_20240118_210730600.jpg
    PXL_20240118_210730600.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Finally got these pins done. If I recall, there were a few people looking for Omega action pins. These are knurled as you can see in the pic. Some of those older actions had grooved pins and our replacement barrels do not have provisions for that. These will solve that, or if you just need pins we have them. Will be up on our website shortly.
These are 17-4 stainless and will not rust.
Sweet!

This has been on my to-try list for a while.

Used a MagSpark and a Fed 209A with a load of 60 grV Bh209 with a 460 NE in a G series White .451. Worked great. Nice having everything contained so basically no mess. The 209 did not even stick in the MagSpark. Very fumbly to get the cap screwed on though, so a reload would be slow. I may mess around more with this another day.

IMG_4104.jpeg
IMG_4105.jpeg

This has been on my to-try list for a while.

Used a MagSpark and a Fed 209A with a load of 60 grV Bh209 with a 460 NE in a G series White .451. Worked great. Nice having everything contained so basically no mess. The 209 did not even stick in the MagSpark. Very fumbly to get the cap screwed on though, so a reload would be slow. I may mess around more with this another day.

View attachment 41146
View attachment 41147
Yeah, that looks like it would be a PITA to load/re load. But its pretty cool that you have that option should you choose to use it.

Drove the 2+ hr to my hunt club/travel trailer on Thurs and while there I had the opportunity to do some shooting and check MV. Brought one of my Omegas, a V2 Pistol and V2 Optima LR with the fancy brown cerakote and veil stock. Target was set up at 60 yds. First up was the V2 LR using 100gr/V of BH209 and my cast 45-255 Accurate mold bullets that actually weigh 270 grains in a smooth MMP black sabot. These loaded well and shot about 1/2" groups so I'll look at them again with different charges and hopefully at 100yds. On my first shot the damn spring clip held ramrod holder went flying off! This is the first time I have shot this MZ and was/am not happy. I know CVA will correct it but we are having post office issues here in central VA and I am leary on sending out the barrel. Seems to work fine with just one holder, so I will likely just leave it off.

Second gun I shot was my blue barrel, camo thumbhole Omega using 100gr 777 FFG. It gave me nothing but fits and didn't want to group using anything I tried - 270gr copper bore lock, 250 gr traditions carnivore, 250 grain Shockwave, or my 270gr cast bullet. This Omega had a new Burris Fullfield II 2-7x on it and I think its got some issues. Adjustments were not tracking properly and it appears the left/right windage is backwards. It'll be going back to Burris. Today, I took the scope and its mount off and replaced them with a DNZ mount and a SI 3-9X scope. Sorted some 300 grain SST, 300gr Swift, 270gr Gold Dot, 300gr Scorpion PT and the new 290gr and 340 gr Hornady Bore Driver bullets to use next time. Will also try different powder charges.

The Optima V2 Pistol is one of three that I have but haven't shot it much so it got 8 rounds of 240gr 44 cal XTPs sent through it using 80grs/V of BH209. I had not set up the UTG 2-6X scope on it so mostly I was getting used to it. Ended up with elevation where I wanted but windage was still 2in to the right but I ran out of bullets and time. Made the final adjustment left and will check it out when I go shooting again.

Set up my Caldwell Chrony 15ft from the muzzle and got the following MV's.

1. Optima V2 LR. 10 shots avg 1927 fps

2. Omega: 250gr Shockwave 4 shots avg 1847 fps

3. Omega: 250gr Carnivore 4 shots avg 1994 fps

4. Omega: 270 gr Bor Lock 10 shots avg 1880 fps

Optima V2 Pistol : 8 shots 240gr 44cal XTP, green CR sabot. Avg 1476 fps, 24.7 std dev.

Frustrating day with the Omega but hopefully the next outing with heavier bullets and a new scope/mount will go better.

Thanks for reading! Sorry it was so.long.

Last edited:
I'm field testing a Bushnell Forge 2 to 16x50 it's a Korean made not Chinese real clear glass it has that European German for something or other Crosshair in a rather large dot in the middle that I thought was going to be an issue but after sending a couple of rounds down range I really think I got a pretty good deal and nice Japanese glass anyway I have to use it for a while and see if it holds up to the recoil I put it on an Omega it's almost bigger than the rifle it's huge 34 mm tube other than the Big Dot in the reticle for windage and target shooting it's perfect and really the dot is not bad at all might have to pick up a couple of more of these. Supposedly from what I've read this model had the best glass and internals that Bushnell makes and puts in their highest in tactical scope just looking at the scope it again is real clear I hope the other details are good and that it holds up the recoil almost went ahead and went back to the sightron mid-price Scopes they've just been such good performers but,, love to try something new I've had the scope setting in the corner for 2 or 3 years now I noticed they're still around Natchez has them

Latest posts

Back