What powder do you use for hunting -Please Post why.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can feel the crud ring.

I recently helped a gent and he said his ramrod would be either level with the barrel or 3" above where he previously had marked it. Once i explained everything to him there was a great sense of relief at both ends LOL. That T7 and even Pyrodex can be very dangerous to a new shooter that doesn't know about the crud ring. I think companies should take some time to explain and show exactly what it is and how to take care of it.

flint - goex
sidelocks - pyrodex p or goex
inlines #11 - pyrodex p, triple 7 or pyrodex rs
inlines 209 - pyrodex powders, trilpe 7, or bh209

reasons.
how I been working, I have not had an chance to get to the range. I was also laid up for 2 months with an leg injury.

most likely hunting loads
knight usak, 85grs pyrodex p .429 mmp sabot or .452 mmp sabot 250gr xtp (proven load)
win apex 45cal, 80grs of triple 7 or bh209,275gr powerbelt.

hawgslayer said:
:D
Consistency, accuracy, no swabbing between shots, no crud ring, bullets load easily, either measure by volume or weight because the powder itself is the same consistant size, clean up time is at a minimal when using Hoppe's #9.
There's 7 reasons for ya.......... ;)

Ray........

I think this is a good list of reasons, why BH209...... the ones going with pellets because of reloading.... I can use lanes long tubes as a quick loaders and doesn't take any longer than using pellets.....

I'd like to use BH but can't..
T/C Black Diamond XR
CVA Electra

guess I got to buy another ML, dang
next one V2

For me I've always hunted with Pyrodex pellets, but I use the Pyrodex loose powder on the range since it's cheaper. I've just found it to be easier to deal with pellets in the field than fumbling around spilling loose powder if I'm in a hurry trying to load it.

I tried T7 pellets, and they shot horribly for me so I stuck with the cheaper Pyrodex.

I would like to use BH209 and have no doubt it's far superior, but it won't ignite reliably in my current muzzle loader. If it would, I'd probably be using it.

Blackhorn 209!!! It makes me smile when I light it up!

Other powders make me frown. LOL

I really like the BH209. Pyrodex RS was good, and showed consistent tight groups but was way dirtier. I like the easy Hoppes #9 cleanup.

I have shot many different types but I found that BH209 is cleaner burning and more consistant in accuracy.

I chose Pyrodex loose powder because that is what I have been using. Have two bottles of BH 209 on their way to me. Will work up some loads before Muzzleloader season.

After my shooting session yesterday, I want to change my vote to BH 209.
I got the best groups I have EVER got- 4 shots touching @ 100 yards.

Which Powder for Hunting and Why

Blackhorn 209.
Clean, Accurate, Consistant, Easy to load no matter how many shots.
Cleaning when I get to it.
Regular gun cleaning solvent.
Does not get any better.
Les.

I used to use Black Mag 3 and I loved it. I have very little left and could not find it anywhere. I decided to try BH209 in my Encore Pro Hunter. I like it every bit as much as the BM3. Both cleaned up easily and provided great accuracy.

+one million on bh209. I started with it because research on this board and others led me to believe this is the way to go. Turns out it is. Shoots great, clean up is easy. Ignition can be an issue but it can be overcome. Downside is that some guns won't shoot it reliably but there other options for powders in that event.

I shoot RS right now in my GPR. It's good but I wish I could run BH209 in that too.

As soon as I get back to laboratory mode on the range, I'm going to sub the RS for some GOEX and Swiss 2F.

Jono

Colorado said:
Black Mag 3 isn't made anymore. Too bad. It was a good powder.
Yep, I loved it. I wish I had bought more but so far so good with the BH209

corey012778 said:
I got an gun shop that has 6 bottles of black mag3. may pick up an bottle to try.
I don't think you will be disappointed in it if you do. Depending on the cost, I would buy two bottles if I were you, it sucks finding something that worked so well but not being able to get it now. If I could get my hands on some I would buy all I could, I liked it that much.

BH 209. I tried them all and kept going back to Goex Cartridge BP. After reading about the results of BH 209 I gave it a shot 3 years ago and have not looked back! I like the velocity you can get with it if needed.

What powder do you use for hunting?

Black Mag3
It shoots clean and has lots of power and has never let me down.

Latest posts

Back