What powder do you use for hunting -Please Post why.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMR White Hots

I use 2 IMR White Hots pellets. They are very accurate and much easier to clean. There's still a small crud ring but is't much softer and easier to clean. There's also less smoke when fired from my ML.

Pyryodex Powder. Its the first powder I used. Then when I bought 5 bottles for $4 each, with proper storage, I don't think I will ever run out. Have not needed a follow up shot yet, but have not had a problem doing so while practicing. Works for me.

I read an article the other day where a guy claimed he had 60 shots with White Hots & no swabbing in between. He also claimed that it was super easy to clean & gave no mention of a crud ring. Now I wish I had saved it so I could have posted the link. Maybe I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt his claims.

I doubt his claims as well. No way in hell you'll get 60 shots without swabbing unless you're shooting an ungodly under sized conical LOL.

FG, I was shooting the Dark Blue MMP's with 157 gr. .38 cal. pistol bullets, 60-80 grs. BH-209. The BP was really built up with carbon by the end of the day.

My only concern is with all the ignition modification need to ignite Blackhorn 209. If you have to used modified breech plugs with magnum primers to shoot it what happens in snow or drizzle I want a powder that I know I can trust to go boom. BH reminds me of the new fire safe cigarettes.

Remember that a lot of the guns people have issues in, are the old models with very dirty primer blowback. I ran into a guy at the NRA last sunday with a new CVA, His first shot went Blooook, bullet hit 10 feet out in front of him and i just walked over with a smile and said, You shooting blackhorn209? Got the sideways glance like, how the heck you know that?

Gave him the run down along with the forums info and told him, back that firing pin bushing out .015", use a 3mm drill bit to clean the carbon from the breech plug and you'll be good to go.

Its not so much the gun or the shooters fault. The real issue is educating people on how the breech plug care needs to be treated to ensure fully fire when using BH209.

I always shot T7 and swore I would never pay that much for 10oz of Powder :evil: Well as of July I finally tried the Black209f powder and :affraid: OMG it is worth every penny of the price. Will never look back again :no: , it is BH 209 for me NOW. LOVE that I don't have to swab every shot and it is so easy to clean up and very very consistant I have never shot better. :heart: :heart:

My favorite powder is Goex Pinnacle. Goex stopped selling it a few years ago. Pinnacle was made by APP: It is more powerful and more consistent than the other APP powders. Pinnacle likes a tight fitting sabot seated very hard on the powder. i put a golf ball on the ramrod and lean on it until the powder compresses. Pinnacle does not work well with most conicals. Pinnacle is almost a powerful as 777 and without the crud ring. i've fired up to 20 rounds without swabbing.

Alliant Black MZ and Pinnacle give the same POI charge for charge when fired from my guns.

jeepman said:
FrontierGander said:
Blackhorn209

Why?

Clean, Accurate, Powerful and if i need a follow up shot, i don't have to deal with crud ring / having to swab it out in order to get my next load down the bore.

Another plus is that it doesn't suck up moisture like the other powders.
Exact same reasons here... Ray
What they said!

I want nothing but the best of everything, and everyone says Blackhorn is the best. I guess I will find out as soon as I have time to go to the range. I was using IMR White Hots prior to that.

Triple 7 2fg user. I will probably try BH209 next year. Too late in the season.

Why? Killed a few deer with it. I started out with real black powder (killed a few with that too). I think T7 was a big improvement. BH209 will probably be the next one I try, unless some new whiz-bang powder shows up before next spring.

hometheaterman said:
For me I've always hunted with Pyrodex pellets, but I use the Pyrodex loose powder on the range since it's cheaper. I've just found it to be easier to deal with pellets in the field than fumbling around spilling loose powder if I'm in a hurry trying to load it.

I tried T7 pellets, and they shot horribly for me so I stuck with the cheaper Pyrodex.

I would like to use BH209 and have no doubt it's far superior, but it won't ignite reliably in my current muzzle loader. If it would, I'd probably be using it.
have you upgraded to the bh209 breech plug? when you use bh209 you need a breech plug that is a little different because of the way it compacts and ignites. i shoot bh in my optima and have never had a problem with igniting.

I started with 777 pellets and had no complaints "except" for the crud ring.  Shooting at the range wasn't a problem because you have lots of time to swab between shots.  That's not always the case when deer hunting.  Pushing on the ram rod with all my might to get past the crud ring on a quick reload convinced me to try BH209.  I made the switch and never looked back.

BH209 all the way.  It's hydrophobic, consistent granule size (allows for accurate volume measurements; and no canister dregs), no crud ring build-up, and:
unlike smokeless powders...it still smokes :!:  ;)

Back