What powder do you use for hunting -Please Post why.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardcorp1

Reaction score
I am relativity new to Muzzleloading but I have had a chance to use Goex, Triple 7 Pellets, Triple 7 Powder, and Blackhorn209.

I will agree that BH209 is the easiest to clean, but in a "one shot" hunting situation my main is concern is consistency and accuracy and that is why I use Triple 7 Powder FFF.

So what about you guys? I have a feeling what the main one will be, but remember we are talking about the "one shot" hunting situation.

Blackhorn209

Why?

Clean, Accurate, Powerful and if i need a follow up shot, i don't have to deal with crud ring / having to swab it out in order to get my next load down the bore.

Another plus is that it doesn't suck up moisture like the other powders.

FrontierGander said:
Blackhorn209

Why?

Clean, Accurate, Powerful and if i need a follow up shot, i don't have to deal with crud ring / having to swab it out in order to get my next load down the bore.

Another plus is that it doesn't suck up moisture like the other powders.
Exact same reasons here... Ray

Triple 7 Powder for me. Thats the first powder I tried when I started with the ML, and I just stuck with it. Now I have like 3 jugs of it.

ive used about all of them after all the cleaning at the range and hunting i whated something better and thats BH 209 shoot all you want and clean at home after

Blackhorn 209 in my inlines. It has been by far the most accurate powder I have used in my 30 plus years of muzzleloading. In my sidelock and flintlock goex.

I'm fairly new to muzzleloading. I started out with Black Mag XP because it was advertised as a no swabbing powder. I had accuracy problems with not swabbing between shots. When I started swabbing between shots, accuracy improved, but a vicious crud ring developed and several times I had to remove the breech plug to get the patch and ram rod out.

Switched to Blackhorn 209 and CCI 209M primers. No swabbing between shots. No hang fires or no fires. I have fired 60 shots without cleaning the flash channel or swabbing the barrel. No hang fires and no No-fires. This is with a CVA Apex .45 cal. QRBP and CCI 209M primers. It is accurate and clean up is easy.

I have recently switched to Fiocchi 616 primers. So far they are great and really reduced blow back, leaving me with a cleaner surface on the breech plug.

not a crud ring but pure hell loading a patched ball down the hawken barrels after 7 or 8 shots. Theres always going to be some kind of downfall to a certain powder lol.

FrontierGander said:
not a crud ring but pure hell loading a patched ball down the hawken barrels after 7 or 8 shots. Theres always going to be some kind of downfall to a certain powder lol.
The difference is, the crud ring will get you after just one shot.

I see on here people say how bad the crud ring is , but I have made 8-10 shots with 90gr. of 777 and not had a problem. I will get flyers at that point but I run a spit patch and all is well again.

I am the type of person that at the range I will run a spit patch down followed by a dry one every time no matter what powder I am shooting. I even keep patches in my breast pocket of my shirt or coat while hunting and if I can, run a patch before I load a second shot.

But back to the OP I am asking about that "one shot" hunting situation. What powder do you count on to get the job done when it matters most.

I have used 777 pellets for many years and they have served me well. Blackhorn is just better. Great velocity, doesn't soak up water, consistent and is 2nd shot accurate. You can weigh it, measure it, load it up, load it down and it just gets it done. If I had one shot at a Booner, Blackhorn 209 is what I would want pushing my Barnes. Ask anyone on this forum...and I know 777 and the others work...what is the best powder out there? Blackhorn.

my main is concern is consistency and accuracy and that is why I use Triple 7 pellets.i can reload my T/C ENCORE without swabbing the barrel for a second shot IF it is needed ..my BARNES mz have not let me down so far...

:D
Consistency, accuracy, no swabbing between shots, no crud ring, bullets load easily, either measure by volume or weight because the powder itself is the same consistant size, clean up time is at a minimal when using Hoppe's #9.
There's 7 reasons for ya.......... ;)

Ray........

BH 209 mainly because of all the reasons listed above but most of all being able to keep a load in the barrel for quite a while if you are not successful at beginning of hunting season. Before the BH I used T7 pellets then went to T7 fff and was happy if I couldnt get BH Id resume with the T7fff.

777 pellets...we can take 2 deer at a time where I hunt...often they move in groups. 777 pellets and a speed loader come in handy. Many times I have taken 2 seconds apart on opening day muzzle loading. BH works well, but it adds an extra 5-10 seconds to the loading process. Last year, that cost me a 2nd deer on opening day. I went back to 777.

Colorado said:
Nobody ever heard of a crud ring until inlines showed up.

Is that because before the inline, you could not take a muzzleloader apart enough to look down the whole barrel, like a shotgun, to see the crud ring?

Back