What powder do you use for hunting -Please Post why.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Goex in my inline, but may try the BH. Always open to try something that works for the majority.

Blackhorn.....not affected by moisture, ease of cleaning, consistent, no swabbing. Do I really need to go on?

I've been using pyrodex select in my tc renegade 54, lyman deerslayer 54, tc thunderhawk 54 for about 20 years. Fouling has always been an issue when working up loads from the bench after 5 or 6 shots. In December 2011 after reading many reviews on BH209, I bought an optima 50 just to shoot BH209. I must say it is a really great powder ( and rifle). I load 110gn BH with a .429 Hornady 265 FTX bullet(designed for .444 marlin) in a green crush rib sabot. I regularly get sub 1" groups @ 135 yds. from a gorilla rest. Clean up is as easy as cleaning your modern firearms, using Hoppe's #9. I do look forward to someone developing a powder equal to BH209 so Western powder would quit srewing its customers. I really doubt it costs them more to produce than regular smokeless powders they sell for $20 a full pound.

What powder do you use for hunting

Blackhorn. I'm new and and enjoy not cleaning all the time

Pyrodex Select in the TC Treehawk but I'm liking the easy load/clean up of BH209 in the Apex so probably sticking with that next year.

Ill stick with shockeys gold since I just bought a lb of it lol I can shoot 3 shots between swabs without a dry swab and havent had a whole lot of buildup in the breech

02cummins said:
Ill stick with shockeys gold since I just bought a lb of it lol I can shoot 3 shots between swabs without a dry swab and havent had a whole lot of buildup in the breech
29 shots today....BH209.....no swabbing....EVER. Have done it many times :)

On Saturday with BH209 I fired 33 shots without any swabbing and the last load pushed down the barrel as easy as the first one did.

At home the barrel was very clean with 2 passes with a dry swab. With one more wet one it sparkled.

I'm not sure there's a limit to BH fouling. It would be expensive to find out.

Maybe a company would be interested in subsidizing that experiment....

:D

My longest string is 22 and like the others said, the last went down as easy as the first and it shot the same throughout.

Jono

GregK said:
02cummins said:
come on now i need the excercise :geek:

02cummins said:
GregK said:
02cummins said:
come on now i need the excercise :geek:
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: Actually I don't blame you since you have a fresh lb of powder & I don't ever wanna sound like my way is the only way. Everybody should shoot what works the best for them & have fun doing it :)

I've a wide variety here...Goex 2f, 3f, 4f and Cartridge Grade...Swiss 2f, 3f, 4f and Null B, Wano 2f, 3f and KIK 3f. Each rifle of mine shoots best with something different from the others. ;)

Welcome indeed quigley. You'll find a lot of info from some really great people on here :)

White Hots

I use the White Hots pellets. They give me 1" groups at 100 yards and are much easier to clean. The crud ring is much softer and easier to clean. The White Hots also smoke less when fired from my ML.

Latest posts

Back