What sabot bullet combo for deer out to 100 yards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like a heavier bullet for some reason. Maybe because I've had great success with them. I used Barnes 290 gr TEZ and 300 gr Hornady XTPs and I'll be trying out Hornady's new Bore Drivers this year in the 340 gr size. That being said, any bullet in the 240 or heavier weight will suffice for deer within 100 yards. Even a cast bullet if its not too hard..
The advice above should be considered. Barnes Expanders, Hornady XTPs and similar are excellent choices. I would not suggest the XTP mags as they have heavier jackets and may not expand as well as the regular XTPs.
Just work on getting your most accurate load and put the bullet where it needs to be, behind the front shoulder thru both lungs, and you'll have your deer.
You can buy the Hornady XTPs in 100 pk boxes either 44 cal or 45 cal and buy Harvester CR sabots for them. Green for the 44s and black for the 45s.

Last edited:
That is a potent load and still under the max but IMO much more than you need for deer <100 yards. I'd see what accuracy you get with 80 and 90 grs.

My usual 77 grain by weight charge equates to roughly 110 grains by volume so no you're in the ball park. Keep in mind that some of these heavier or saboted bullets like to be pushed hard, meaning a heavier charge.

My usual 77 grain by weight charge equates to roughly 110 grains by volume so no you're in the ball park. Keep in mind that some of these heavier or saboted bullets like to be pushed hard, meaning a heavier charge.
I didn't say it was a max charge. I said it was a potent charge. IMO I don't think you need to push a bullet that hard unless that is where you're getting your best accuracy and/or shooting long range.
I get sub MOA accuracy with 68 gr (wt) of BH so I wouldn't even consider going any heavier. No deer is going to know the difference.

Last edited:
Hornady 240 grain XTP with green sabot will knock down any deer.
Assuming I can't find any Speer DeepCurls (have not seen them in over two years), the .44 (.429) cal 240gr XTP with a Harvester green CR sabot will be my bullet/sabot combo going forward. For the price, out to 150 yards, I cannot justify any other bullet.

Last edited:
Assuming I can't find any Speer DeepCurls (have not seen them in over two years), the .44 (.429) cal 240gr XTP with a Harvester green CR sabot will be my bullet/sabot combo going forward. For the price, out to 150 yards, I cannot justify any other bullet.
I agree, one of two heart shot last Nov, went 30 yards. I’ve never seen such a blood trail in my 70 years.

Attachments

• IMG_9380.jpeg
    IMG_9380.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
That’s actually about the 105 mark of blackthorn. These are my most recent experiments with bullets.

That right there is my loadout. Stiff load of 209. Those barnes are even what I use in my shotgun. Both proved very deadly without grenading and passing through. Very hard to load in my optima but have harvesters this year to hopefully ease that a bit.

I use a different combo than some here. I have a .50 cal T/C Black Diamond XR SS. I use a Harvester short black sabot & Hornady .451 XTP 230 gr .I don't use BH209, i use T7-2f 75 gr with a dry wool wad. I shot 3 deer this past Fall with my load combo , 2 high shoulder drt n a lung pass through that ran 30 yds. All were from 104 - 125 yds no complaints

I gave my 2003 TC Encore to my son, and I bought a new CVA 50 cal Acura direct from cva. I’d like to continue using blackthorn lose powder but I’m interested in expansion, not necessarily conical plastid points for long distance shooting. I’ve had great success with Barnes and Hornady. What do you suggest I try in a hollow point type bullet ? Easier loading is important too. Thanks!
250 or 240 xtp in a black sabot 2 pellets or 100 grn loose powder will be perfect for that range my accura will make clovers at 100yrds all day with that round and it makes a big hole and expansion is perfect.

Brother I've been looking for deep curls too now for a few years. I still shoot XTPs without out issue but someone recommended the deep curls a couple years back and I've been looking for them ever since.

Brother I've been looking for deep curls too now for a few years. I still shoot XTPs without out issue but someone recommended the deep curls a couple years back and I've been looking for them ever since.
I too have used the deep curls and loved them but I can't find them anywhere, XTP's are secondary bullet for now and they work to if you come across some deep curls let me know I will snatch up what I can.

I found out that Deep Curls have been discontinued. Have you tried their Hot Cor bullets?
Midway sold a bunch of Deep Curl blems a few years ago, just about the time Speer discontinued them. i grabbed a couple boxes. I planned to load them in 450bm but ive been so happy with the XTPs that i never bothered to try the DCs.

Latest posts

Back