what's a good bullet puller?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyf

Reaction score
Hey folks,

As a M/Z newbie my checklist is nearly complete of all the accessories needed for my T/C Endeavor.

The last thing is a bullet puller. Although I hope to never need one I want to get one "just in case".

I bought a 36" range rod. Are all bullet pullers equal? If not what works the best?

Thanks!

TC makes a good one, looks like a screw with bore protector that attaches to the ramrod. I only used mine once... :roll:

For most inlines made today all you really need to do is remove the breechplug and push out the bullet. I'd go that route first.

Welcome to the world of muzzleloading, its addictive, an lots of fun!! :lol:

TC. makes one for plastic tip bullets, but other than that they are all pretty much the same.

toytruck said:
TC makes a good one, looks like a screw with bore protector that attaches to the ramrod. I only used mine once... :roll:

For most inlines made today all you really need to do is remove the breechplug and push out the bullet. I'd go that route first.

Welcome to the world of muzzleloading, its addictive, an lots of fun!! :lol:

***For most inlines made today all you really need to do is remove the breechplug and push out the bullet. I'd go that route first.**

I was wondering if that wasn't the obvious choice? Use the ramrod to push the sabot back out through the breech. Does this cause any problems around the breech threads in the barrel? I wouldn't think so but I have to ask! :)

Thanks!

The choice depends on a couple things. First, if you use loose powder you can make quite a mess just pulling the breech plug... If you're hunting , a traditional ball puller is the ticket if you forget powder. Just make sure your puller has a brass ring on it to keep it centered in the bore. Those screws can do awful things if not made with a guide. Myself, i only pull the plug when i absolutely have to. When i pull a charge, I also use the puller to bust up the compressed load of Swiss 3f. I dump the powder and then pull the plug. No matter how careful I am i still wind up pickig powder out of my breech threads...

Since you have an inline and need a bullet puller, I am going to guess you did not load powder. So get that breech plug out and push the bullet through. If this is just to unload it at the end of the day, shoot the thing out... see how accurate you are. If you can't shoot , still remove the breech plug, push the bullet and powder out the breech end. Then take a patch, put some Simple Green or other cleaner on it and swab the bore. Then a couple dry patches. Wipe off the breech plug and put it all back together...

I hear those CO2 pullers work real good but to be honest, never used one. I either shoot the projectile out, or remove the breech plug if its an inline.

I have not yet had the need for a bullet puller. I was just thinking about "what if"?

Honestly I thought that it would be easiest to simply remove the breech plug and push the bullet & powder back out through the breech. So you answered my question.

Thanks once again!

johnnyf said:
Honestly I thought that it would be easiest to simply remove the breech plug and push the bullet & powder back out through the breech.

It is, you do not need a puller with an inline.

I mentioned in another post about the cleaning tube for the 700ml . When removing the breach plug to push a load out, just screw in the cleaning tube and the powder does not get into the threads or bolt-trigger area.

derfhunter said:
I mentioned in another post about the cleaning tube for the 700ml . When removing the breach plug to push a load out, just screw in the cleaning tube and the powder does not get into the threads or bolt-trigger area.

Good tip. 8)

puller

Although I will admit I have pushed the bullet/sabot/dry powder back through the breach on a few occasions the safer way to do it is pour a little water into the breach plug hole to wet the powder first. Wait about 30 minutes and then remove the breach plug and push everything out through the breach.

Back