when insert primer for CVA Accura

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax Handle

Reaction score
curious when people insert and or remove their primer with their CVA Accura in the following scenarios:

1. i climb into a tree stand and then pull my rifle up with a rope. Do you remove the primer from the breech plug before pulling the gun up? Same question when getting down?

2. when returning to a vehicle with an unfired ml and putting the gun in a case, do you remove the primer from the brecch plug even though you know you will be hunting in the morning again?

1. I don't put my primer in/on the rifle until I am up in the stand. It's unloaded during my walk to the stands. I pull the gun up with a rope after I am all settled. I also remove the primer before sending the gun down after the hunt is over.

2. Primer stays out of the gun on my way back to the truck. The only time I have a primer installed is when actually hunting. After hunting hours if i was to return to the truck with it still primed I could get a ticket for hunting after hours.

Serious?
All three things you describe are definitely NOT what you should do, ever.
It's just common sense.
A capped muzzleloader is considered loaded and in most states it's illegal to carry a loaded gun in a vehicle.
Hauling a capped and loaded muzzleloader up and down from the treestand is a accident waiting to happen.

Yes I’m removing them in both scenarios. Even if it was legal to travel in a vehicle with a primed muzzleloader, I would never. I can’t imagine the damage a .50 cal muzzleloader would do to my floorboards in my truck. It’s just dangerous all around. No benefit to it either.

A primer in the breach plug = a live round in the chamber.

Safeties are not a replacement for proper fire arms handling. In other words safeties are not to be relied on to prevent a negligent discharge.

Always keep the primer out unless the gun is pointing in a safe direction under your full control.

Keep the primer out until you are up in the tree. Before you get down the first thing you do is remove it.

1. I don't put my primer in/on the rifle until I am up in the stand. It's unloaded during my walk to the stands. I pull the gun up with a rope after I am all settled. I also remove the primer before sending the gun down after the hunt is over.

2. Primer stays out of the gun on my way back to the truck. The only time I have a primer installed is when actually hunting. After hunting hours if i was to return to the truck with it still primed I could get a ticket for hunting after hours.
This is pretty much how I do things. I used to still hunt but age has sort of put that out to pasture, so I content myself with sitting in the stand. The gun gets the primer when I am settled in and comes out when I start packing to leave.

All good advice. Thanks. Truth is, when I hunt with a centerfire, both rifle and shotgun, I never have a loaded gun unless I am in a blind or still hunting as it is so easy to jack one in the chamber. With the Accura though, many times I cannot remove the primer with my fingers and it is just a pita, so yesterday I just kept it in. I had the heebie jeebies while doing it. It won't happen again.

All good advice. Thanks. Truth is, when I hunt with a centerfire, both rifle and shotgun, I never have a loaded gun unless I am in a blind or still hunting as it is so easy to jack one in the chamber. With the Accura though, many times I cannot remove the primer with my fingers and it is just a pita, so yesterday I just kept it in. I had the heebie jeebies while doing it. It won't happen again.
My Accura V2 Lr is very easy to cap and uncap! I don't know why you're having trouble with it but the Accura that I bought came with a capper/decapper. It's also a tool to remove the firing pin for cleaning. Never Ever pull a capped muzzleloader into your stand with a cap in place! Same for getting out of the stand! Ohio considers the muzzleloader loaded with a cap in place and therefore it's Illegal to carry inside your vehicle with a cap in place!

curious when people insert and or remove their primer with their CVA Accura in the following scenarios:

1. i climb into a tree stand and then pull my rifle up with a rope. Do you remove the primer from the breech plug before pulling the gun up? Same question when getting down?

2. when returning to a vehicle with an unfired ml and putting the gun in a case, do you remove the primer from the brecch plug even though you know you will be hunting in the morning again?

Yes and yes. Safety and it is illegal to have it loaded and primed in a vehicle.

I treat a primer as a live shell, unloaded, except when necessary.
In Va a muzzleloader is considered unloaded if primer is out of the breech plug.
This is a good time to mark the ramrod (Loaded status) because you know it has a charge and bullet. Check for loaded status with ramrod next hunt, Add a primer and you’re ready to shoot. Once, lol

Back