When The Stars Align

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It doesn't happen often. But sometimes the stars align perfectly, fate kisses you on the cheek and an angel sits on your shoulder.

Last weekend I played around with my Omega X-7 and Speer 240 grain Deep Curls. I shot five different loads of Blackhorn 209 under 240 grain Speer Deep Curls in five-shot strings over a chronograph. The target was set at 50 yards because I find that distance easy to work with for setting up the chronograph.

The velocities on one of the shot strings blew me away. Check out the chrono results on the target.

33632643328_a5ae9afc15_b.jpg

Last edited:
Man that is a low SD! I do believe that load works. Great shooting.

Shawn, I have never ever had a load with a single digit SD, not in a muzzleloader and not in a cartridge gun. That target astounded me.

Here's a summary of the chrono results of all five loads I tried.

47510563061_b4f047c86d_c.jpg

Next time out I'll try that 73.5 grain weight load again, and see how close it comes to repeating those results. I'll also set the scope for a 125 yard zero with that load and shoot targets at 100, 125, 150 and 175 yards to see what kind of groups I can get. Sometimes good 50 yard loads don't hold up well at longer distances.

This is what the Hornady ballistics calculator says it should do with a 125 yard zero.

40544629723_7c0fdcf3de_b.jpg

You can't ask for much better than that. Literally.

Is this the first time you've shot that load over the chrono? I'm quite curious if this is repeatable or if it was a fluke. Looking forward to seeing the next go round.

Actually the SD on all those loads is not bad at all. I've seen some loads that had a good bit worse that still shot good in CF rifles.

Back