which ignition

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about DI since you are going with a break action? You could have multiple breechplugs so that way you have options.

when I do this I want the most reliable ignition system installed. Should I go with a 209 breech plug or one with the LRMP modules?
When I originally did my scout it was Lukes 209 plug when Hank came out with the module plug to replace it I went with that. Longer plug gets rid of most of the powder chamber. No issues with it.

all of my builds are 209 primer system for ease and convenience, albeit a little more maintenance with the breech plug. ( thorough cleaning every 20-30 shots).

Well the responses are 50/50. Seems to me the lrp system would be cleaner but then you have the hassle of priming and depriming the modules.
How many firings do the modules last?
There's no hassle IMO, no more than cleaning the rifle itself. Positive ignition and zero leaks.

I'm shooting the same 41 Arrowhead modules I've had for four years. I couldn't tell you how many pounds of propellant was fired with them. I have never cleaned them, other than I do use a primer pocket cleaner prior to repriming. No way would I go back to 209's. Others prefer them, just not me. I'm not worried about what 209 primer fits the best or, rather I have to have some kind of "O" ring.

Been using Federal 209a primers for 10 years with instant ignition down to zero degrees. I have both bolt action and break open SML's. That said, I've never used a module so can't speak to their benefits.

I have a Variflame in the Omega and am using CCI 250 primers, and I‘m very pleased. The breech has a very tight lock up, no blow by, and a great ignition.

I use 209's in my Knights and LRMP modules in my Arrowhead Encore barrel. I prefer the LRMP and modules. I added a 209 plug for the Encore barrel when I ordered it thinking I would have trouble finding smokeless powder and primers. I already had a brick of Federal 209's and several jugs of BH powder so my plan was to shoot BH until I found smokeless powder and LR primers. I got lucky and found both before the barrel arrived. De-priming the modules and priming is a piece of cake. As others have said zero leakage and easy to clean. Plus I believe rifle primers are cleaner and foul the breach plug less. I've got brautwurst fingers so the modules are much easier for me to load.

If I was going smokeless I would go with LRMP modules. That's just my personal preferance as obviously both will work and get the job done.

I would also go with LRMP modules. I have a DI plug for an Accura, cleanest thing out there but like Encore50a said, it is a PITA. I have VariFlame plugs for an Accura and Omega, that work awesome and ASG for a smokeless Rem700 and Hankins plug for a CVA Scout 45/70 conversion. Both are excellent. Ive used Large Magnum Pistol Primers in the LRMP modules to test and they have so far worked without issue with all the powders ive shot. I havent tried them with T7 yet, but when i do, Im going to use standard Large Pistol Primers instead of LRMPs in the modules and Variflames, to see how it affects crud ring.

In answering the question, which is the most reliable, assuredly it is direct ignition. I would never use it in my bolt actions, but if I had a break action, DI would be used. Think one-shot-one-kill. If the shot goes bad, the deer will be in the next county before any system is reloaded.

I have a DI in my NEF .45. I did the work on D&T, i seem to have issues with my firing pin. I may not have it set exactly right. Anyway as for unscrewing it i have 1 1/4" ratchet n socket. akes mabe 20 seconds to change out n screw another. I have ordered a new Savage BP for 209 with the bushing n set plug. It shot like it was suppose when i had the old BP wit vent liner n 209's.

Back