Which mould would you choose?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpha8D

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting back into casting bullets again, used to do a lot of 30 cal plinker slugs for my 30-30 but haven't done any for a number of years. Now I want to cast some cheap target loads for use in my new 50 cal CVA Accura deer rifle. I'll be using BH 209 and sabots with as light a charge as practical and still give reasonable accuracy at say 50 yds off hand.
I doubt if hardness matters.
Which of the moulds would you choose to start with?

IMG_0002_zps0602dd2b.jpg

IMG_0004_zps096753af.jpg

Alpha8D

I never used a Maxi-ball with a sabot. Don't know how that would work.

I'd start with the Lyman mould. You can load those in cases for a .45 Colt load if they aren't accurate.

You should sell the .45 Maxi-Ball mould to me for my .45 long rifle. :twisted:

EDIT: I didn't read the .429-.430 part before I answered. I was thinking of a .452 when I suggested the .45 Colt loading.

Nooo maxi balls in a sabot, its a big no no.

That 1933 grainer looks promising.

Have you checked on Lee's website and thought about a  newer .451-.452" bullet mold?

patocazador said:
I never used a Maxi-ball with a sabot. Don't know how that would work.

I'd start with the Lyman mould. You can load those in cases for a .45 Colt load if they aren't accurate.

You should sell the .45 Maxi-Ball mould to me for my .45 long rifle. :twisted:

EDIT: I didn't read the .429-.430 part before I answered. I was thinking of a .452 when I suggested the .45 Colt loading.
patocazador, 
I still have a TC Seneca with .45 cal bbl, sorry, no sale.
Honestly though I never used that slug except a couple times at the range. Mostly I shot a ton of round balls out of the gun. 
Have you had experience with the Maxi-Ball mould? What load?
The TC Seneca is a pretty light gun with light barrel so It kicked a bit with the heavier slug and that brass curved butt plate so I mostly used patched round balls. Target shooting and competitions, blanket shoots etc.
Alpha8D

FrontierGander said:
Nooo maxi balls in a sabot, its a big no no.

That 1933 grainer looks promising.

Have you checked on Lee's website and thought about a  newer .451-.452" bullet mold?
Big no no for safety reasons?
Maxi-ball in sabot does look a bit odd now that you mention it.
I did look at Lee's offerings on your suggestion.
What would be your choice FrontierGander for the cheapest lightest recoil plinker load that could be expected to be reasonably accurate at 50 yds? I know, I'll have to try them and see but where would you start with powder charge and bullet weight? I will use BH-209 just to eliminate the cleaning hassle at the range.
Alpha8D

Have you measured that maxi ball? Its full bore diameter and over sized to cut into the rifling. Much to large to be used with a sabot, especially the .429-.430" green sabot shown.

With that 193 grainer, I'd start with 60 to 70 grains and go from there. It looks like a flat nose so that's even better IMO. It can be pushed a bit harder without fear of it fragmenting.

patocazador, 

Have you had experience with the Maxi-Ball mould? What load?
The TC Seneca is a pretty light gun with light barrel so It kicked a bit with the heavier slug and that brass curved butt plate so I mostly used patched round balls. Target shooting and competitions, blanket shoots etc.
Alpha8D

No experience with a .45 maxi just a .50 cal. I shoot 80 gr. of 3F in my Hawken with the .50 maxi-ball.

I have some .45 maxi-balls but haven't worked up a load yet for either of my .45s.

Latest posts

Back