Which Sabots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
I don't normally cross post on forums, but I want as many answers as possible. I posted this on HuntingNet.

Here's the deal. I broke a rib, and won't be hunting the ML season this year. I'll be helping Jon get a bull, but I won't be hunting for myself.

So, I swapped my tag for a 2nd rifle bull elk tag. I'll still be using the MR for the hunt. It's an unusual CVA barrel, because it take s a .502 Thor bullet. This is my 7th CVA, and I never had one that big. It might even take a .503 Thor if I could get it started. I don't have one to try.

The problem is the bore is a bit bigger right over the powder. I'm not comfortable with a loose fit. I wouldn't want it moving off the powder before I noticed it. Not good for the gun, or my health.

So, with all that said. I'm thinking of using a sabot for a tighter fit. It's legal in Colorado for rifle seasons. I'm not up on what fits and what doesn't. I still like the Barnes bullet, but I don't know which bullet and sabot would work in my bore.

I'm also open to any other suggesting. Bull elk are tough, so I want a bullet that will stay together. Of course it has to be accurate too.

Whatcha think?

I have heard that the Harvester Red sabots offer a tighter fit than the black and the crush ribs. Might be just the ticket for the MR.

Yes. The red sabot is made for the .451/.452 bullet. The .451 Barnes should work nicely. The red is made for the flat based bullets.

The trick will be to get it started. Normally, I can start any Thor bullet by hand. Even when it's too big to go down the bore. I can't do that with the .502. It takes a lot of pressure to get it started, and then it get too loose at powder. Every CVA barrel i've owned has done that except my latest Wolf. It's perfect from muzzle to powder. I can easily start a .500 Thor, and it's the same tightness all the way down.

I was hoping the MR was going to be like that, but it's not to be. So, don't sabots normally start hard? It might be a bear to start a sabot that's going to fit the bore tight enough at the powder.

Of course Powerbelts fit perfect. If I only had more faith in them.

My Apex was easy to start sabots in comparison to my Encore. I haven't encountered your problem of loose fit at the powder. I doubt you will have problems starting the sabot, but I'm just giving you a guess. Hope that rib heals quickly for you.

:no:

Pete,

Don't get a sabot that you can't push down, you'll only screw up your rib more. Stay with something thats not to difficult. At this rate your going to put that new MR away for the season becasue your aiming to hurt yourself more with that tight sabot.

Ray......... ;)

Thanks Tony. I'm sure it will be ok by Oct 20th for the 2nd rifle season.

I'm worried more about snow closing the pass I need to get over to get to the hunt.

hawgslayer said:
:no:

Pete,

Don't get a sabot that you can't push down, you'll only screw up your rib more. Stay with something thats not to difficult. At this rate your going to put that new MR away for the season becasue your aiming to hurt yourself more with that tight sabot.

Ray......... ;)
Yes Ray. I think that how I hurt the rib more. The .502 Thor was hard to start, and I could feel it pulling on my rib.

I wouldn't be doing this for a few weeks. I'm hoping the rib can handle it by then.

Have you ruled out the .503? If not, I'll look & see if I have any left. If I do & you want them to try just let me know & I'll mail them you.

GregK said:
Have you ruled out the .503? If not, I'll look & see if I have any left. If I do & you want them to try just let me know & I'll mail them you.
I think a .503 would be a perfect fit over the powder. The problem is getting them started. It's tight at the muzzle. I don't want to pound them in. I don't like to carry a short starter when hunting with an inline.

I was wondering if a knurled Thor would work? Maybe a .501 so it would start easy, but deep knurling to keep it tight in the bore.

CoyoteChuck52 said:
Pete, what about the Harvester CR and the TEZ 290g..?
I don't know? That's why i'm asking. I hardly ever shot sabots, because we can't use them in ML season. Isn't there a Barnes that will work with the sabot it comes with?

I'm going to say Barnes TMZ with supplied yellow sabot should fit right.

The red Harvester sabot will tighten things up but if you need tighter go to a .458 bullet with a black crush rib. And if you really want to tighten it up go with a .458 and the Harvester smooth black.

I just read the Barnes site. The TMZ with supplied yellow sabot that Chad recommended seems like it should work.

Is this an accurate combo? I seem to remember some guys getting better accuracy when changing to a different sabot even when the original sabot had a good fit.

Jon is going to kill me for getting away from Thors.

I have heard of some that has had good success with that combo. I shot them when i first got my accura v2 and didn't know anything about sabot fit. I was getting point of deer accuracy with them but they were so tight I broke my ramrod getting them down. I think if they are a good fit and with the right powder charge there shouldn't be a problem.

Pete....you should easily be able to knurl a Thor. You can also consider the 300 or 350 grain Hornady FPB. Some claim they are hard to load but in my 7 muzzleloaders they all fit nicely. I think they are .506 at the base but one smack with my hand on a starter gets them going, but you WILL have to carry a starter. Some other tough bullets that may fit well are the .458 Hornady Monoflex 250 grain in a black sabot for the .451/.452 size bullet (instead of the orange .458 sabot). They become a flower of death like the Barnes & using the black sabots ( CR or smooth) will make a snug fit in most guns. If you can find the right sabot combos I can also recommend the Speer 454 Deep Curl .452/300gr hollow point as well as the Nosler Partition .451/300gr JPP. Those are 2 TOUGH bullets. Just goig to the .452 bullet in a smooth black sabot may make enough difference.

I know a few guys including me that have found the .458 diameter bullets in the black sabots fit nicely in looser bores. And someone mentioned the red CR's, they are thicker but a lot of times, so thick that you can't get them down the barrel.

Latest posts

Back