Which sights for hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
IdahoLewis on a recent thread put up a pic of some different sights he uses. It had been on my mind seeing as how I've never had a ghost ring or a peep on a rifle before.

Most of my hunting is between 30 yards and 200 yards. Any suggestions on front and rear sights for a peep type set-up to use in hunting situations like what I encounter?

Specifically for a pedersoli hawken.

Thank you

For hunting I use a Green fiber optic front sight. A lot of times depending on where I’m hinting will remove the rear aperture and my peep sight become a ghost ring. That offers plenty of light to see through and doesn’t change where the rifle is zeroed in at my first year with my Renegade I had to pass up a doe as the light was fading and as hard as I could I could not see the front post as that hood just blocks too much light.

Last edited:
I have been using Lyman 57 SML peeps for a long time. I have killed a pile of game with them. They work well for me. I also use L7man 17 AML globe sights. I like the Lee Shavers medium pin for hunting. My son uses the same sights except he uses a crosshair in the globe sight.

1kWwyAq.jpg

JlO6298.jpg

wX2ZKaK.jpg

I have been using Lyman 57 SML peeps for a long time. I have killed a pile of game with them. They work well for me. I also use L7man 17 AML globe sights. I like the Lee Shavers medium pin for hunting. My son uses the same sights except he uses a crosshair in the globe sight.

1kWwyAq.jpg

JlO6298.jpg

wX2ZKaK.jpg
What range are you comfortable to with that set-up?

My Traditions deerhunter rifle came equipped with the Williams fiber optic sights. I changed the rear sight to a Williams ghost ring. I'm very happy with it. Can't speak to long range shooting as my longest shot with a muzzleloader was about 90 yards. Nearly every other has been 40 yards and closer.

IdahoLewis on a recent thread put up a pic of some different sights he uses. It had been on my mind seeing as how I've never had a ghost ring or a peep on a rifle before.

Most of my hunting is between 30 yards and 200 yards. Any suggestions on front and rear sights for a peep type set-up to use in hunting situations like what I encounter?

Specifically for a pedersoli hawken.

Thank you

Hey there partner i just answered this in Dave Heffners thread.

In short, The Globe front sights are AWESOME on Targets and on Game in Good lighting, There is simply NOTHING better out there for Precise open/peep sight Shooting, There is a Reason that this Sight System that i shoot is used to 1,000 Yards and Beyond, There is NOTHING Better available!! That said, There is NOTHING worse in Low/Poor Lighting, This sight system PLAIN SUCKS in Low light

Here where i live, We have DENSE thick Brush, And trees, That is what this Country up here in North Idaho is Made of. Even in the middle of the Day if i am in this thick Cover, Dark timber, This sight System PLAIN SUCKS, i am literally Blind, I would be just as well off with a Hammer in my Hand.

@idahoron Lives 600 Miles South of me, Ron is in WIDE OPEN Desert type Country down there, This Sight system is IDEAL for him in that Country. Look at Ron’s Hunting Pics, The pics of him & his Game, he is in VERY OPEN Country for the most part.

So i say, it really depends on the Country you hunt? are you in Open Country With Good lighting? Or Dense, Thick country With not so good lighting?

Last edited:
Imo the williams firesight ghost ring is the best hunting sight whether its good light or low light.

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/universal-firesight-ghost-ring-set-071036

I agree, something like that would be a better hunting sight option in low light, a FAR better option than a 17 Series Globe like i shoot, The Globe front sights are at a HUGE disadvantage in low light, After all You looking through a Small, DARK Tunnel out on the end of your Barrel

Sorry mate, I get a bit lost across threads the nature of forums I spose.

Locally it's thick bush bordering on open agricultural land. It's really a 50/50 whether you're shooting 40 yards through thick timber or 200 yards plus across open country.

Guy’s, Don’t get me Wrong, i am not in ANY way trying to talk anyone out of trying these Globe front sights, They are ABSOLUTELY awesome on Targets in Good lighting, And Hunting in Good Lighting. They are 100% The reason i am able to Shoot Peep sights as well as i do, There is simply NO WAY i could do the things i do without them, they are FLAT OUT AWESOME!!

I just want you guy’s to FULLY understand these Globe front sights, The GOOD, The BAD, and the UGLY about them. I have helped guy’s out over the last few years setting up their Rifles with this EXACT same Sight setup that i use, (Same as Idahoron uses above as well) ONLY to hear later that they had a Deer right in on them Just before Dark and Could NOT see it through the Globe? They were BUMMED!! They had to let the Deer Walk off.

Here is a good rule of thumb to remember with Globe front sights

Targets & Hunting in GOOD Lighting = AWESOME
Targets & Hunting in LOW, Poor lighting = HORRIBLE AT BEST

Guy’s, Don’t get me Wrong, i am not in ANY way trying to talk anyone out of trying these Globe front sights, They are ABSOLUTELY awesome on Targets in Good lighting, And Hunting in Good Lighting. They are 100% The reason i am able to Shoot Peep sights as well as i do, There is simply NO WAY i could do the things i do without them, they are FLAT OUT AWESOME!!

I just want you guy’s to FULLY understand these Globe front sights, The GOOD, The BAD, and the UGLY about them. I have helped guy’s out over the last few years setting up their Rifles with this EXACT same Sight setup that i use, (Same as Idahoron uses above as well) ONLY to hear later that they had a Deer right in on them Just before Dark and Could NOT see it through the Globe? They were BUMMED!! They had to let the Deer Walk off.

Here is a good rule of thumb to remember with Globe front sights

Targets & Hunting in GOOD Lighting = AWESOME
Targets & Hunting in LOW, Poor lighting = HORRIBLE AT BEST

We have 12 month seasons on deer here so they get no reprieve. Because of that the vast majority of deer I shoot are in the first and last half an hour of light. I appreciate the honest feedback, don't think they will work for me in that case.

Interesting how these two threads a parallel to each other. I tried the front globe sight on a CVA and as Lewis has explained it causes some problems, especially in the trees, and blacktails rarely go out in the open.

With my 75 year old eyes, I do better with the green fiber optic front bead.

Here is something i have spoke about here before, and stil would love to try one. The larger Globes, Like Lee Shavers P-H Series, and the Lyman 20 MJT, These are a MUCH Larger Diameter Globe than the little 17 Series that i use. These Larger Globes should be Much better in Low light, it only makes sense that they would be. You would have a MUCH larger Field of view. I really need to get one of these some day and try it

This is Lee Shaver’s P-H Series
Ra6NZZq.jpg

And here is the Lyman 20 MJT beside the little 17 Series like i use, BIG Difference

jvienwI.jpg

Interesting how these two threads a parallel to each other. I tried the front globe sight on a CVA and as Lewis has explained it causes some problems, especially in the trees, and blacktails rarely go out in the open.

With my 75 year old eyes, I do better with the green fiber optic front bead.

Dave, I knew you hunted Blacktail, and were in Darker Timber, Brush country Way more than Open country, That’s why I couldn’t advise these Globe front sights to you.
I know them Blacktail deer well :lewis: I grew up Hunting them, my first 38 Years. For the most part they live in Brushy, Timber country, you do catch them in Open Logging unit/Cuts as well, But most of the Hunting i did for them was in the timber, Walk (Stil) Hunting them. These Globe front sights would be the LAST thing on earth i would consider for that type of Hunting

I wonder if there is a flip up front sight that would suit. I read in an old hunting book that a guy had a fine front sight for longer range stuff and a big fat pop up white blob for low light.

The thing I don't like about the globes is that I feel like I could break one looking at it. I stalk (still hunt) through some thick and nasty stuff and getting snagged on a stick or banged on a rock is an unavoidable given.

I changed the sights out on my Renegade to a set of Williams regular old rifle sights with a silver front bead. It took some playing with front ramp height to get where I had good adjustment at 100-200 yards. I used those for a year or two and then finally (forbidden words I know) put a 1x scope on it. My eyes just couldn’t focus anymore on the open sights.

I changed the sights out on my Renegade to a set of Williams regular old rifle sights with a silver front bead. It took some playing with front ramp height to get where I had good adjustment at 100-200 yards. I used those for a year or two and then finally (forbidden words I know) put a 1x scope on it. My eyes just couldn’t focus anymore on the open sights.

That's fair enough, its a different dynamic here. I hunt with open sights because I prefer it and if I want or need a scope I just grab the 30-06, Benefit of no weapon specific seasons and young eyes.

Latest posts

Back