Which sights for hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing I don't like about the globes is that I feel like I could break one looking at it. I stalk (still hunt) through some thick and nasty stuff and getting snagged on a stick or banged on a rock is an unavoidable given.

The Globe itself is EXTREMELY DURABLE, They are SOLID Steel, no worries of breaking it. The Weak link is the little inserts inside the Globe, ESPECIALLY if you use the ultra Fine Lee Shaver inserts like i do. They are made of a Spring type steel, and are tough, But they can most definitely be broken, if you accidentally got a Stick pushed in there, it could bend, or break the Little insert. That said, i have yet to Break one

The little shavers Bead insert on the right is not much thicker than the hair on your head :D Again, They are REALLY geared toward target shooting. The times i do hunt with a Muzzleloader, I always carry at least 1 extra insert in my Gear.
PXVtXFI.jpg

Here is an Example of the Stock Lyman inserts you get when you buy a Lyman Globe, They come in a package with the Globe. Here are the Lyman’s Compared to Lee Shavers Fine BPCR (Black Powder Cartridge) inserts

Lyman on the Left, Lee Shaver’s on the Right. There’s a BIG difference :) I don’t use the Lyman’s, I use Lee Shaver inserts exclusively
iMhmYwq.jpg

I have been using Lyman 57 SML peeps for a long time. I have killed a pile of game with them. They work well for me. I also use L7man 17 AML globe sights. I like the Lee Shavers medium pin for hunting. My son uses the same sights except he uses a crosshair in the globe sight.

1kWwyAq.jpg

JlO6298.jpg

wX2ZKaK.jpg
is that white paint on the inside of the globe? To enhance in low light?

is that white paint on the inside of the globe? To enhance in low light?

I don’t usually answer for someone else, But i have handled, and Shot that Rifle :lewis: Yes it is painted White inside, Trying to enhance in low light was Ron’s reasoning for doing it. I wish i had looked through it more in low light when Ron was here to see if i could tell any difference?

Ron and i we’re headed down the Mountain, headed home, it was getting to late to see well. 2 Nice Bucks crossed the Rd in front of us heading up the Hill, It was THICK Brush & Timber, I jumped out with Rons gun and Looked up where they were, I couldn’t see anything? But that was REALLY Low light

@idahoron Didn’t you say that your Son Jacob didn’t like the White color in the Globe? I don’t remember it bothering me when i shot it here? It looked fine to me

@idahoron Didn’t you say that your Son Jacob didn’t like the White color in the Globe? I don’t remember it bothering me when i shot it here? It looked fine to me

Yes I did paint them to enhance light. One is painted with glow in the dark paint and the other is just pain white. Yes Jacob didn't like the white on the globe but his crosshair is white.
I'm not Shure that it helps that much in super low light on the inside of the globe but it makes seeing the globe easier.
When I am hunting timber and in other low light situations I just reduce the distance I shoot.
Lew is right we have a lot of open country and spot and stalk is the big thing here. So early mornings are spent glassing. Late evenings are again spent glassing in a lot of cases to know where to go in the morning.
I have shot a lot of animals in low light in those cases it was close range and I allowed my eye to center the shot and didn't worry about the pin as much. again in those cases it was under 50 yards.

I have a set of the Williams ghost ring sights on my Renegade.
This set: williams ghost ring sights for TC - Bing images
The ghost ring peep mounts in the rear factory sight position. The front is a round red fiber optic. I find this setup to be great for low light hunting, but not great at all for trying to shoot small groups on paper.
It would be a much better setup overall if the front fiber optic was green and about half the size. From my experience bowhunting I know that green shows up much better for me than red in low light. Yellow is a close second to green. The Williams front F.O. comes around a .060" size, I think .030" would be much better for doing both hunting and target shooting.
I'm going to try to build a small front F.O. in green. I've already gotten a green F.O. rod that is .029" diameter. Now I need to pick up a front 3/8 dovetail blank. I will then have a local machine shop drill a hole through the very top of the sight blade for the ..029" F.O. rod, slot a couple spots open on the top of the blade so the F.O. rod can gather light, and then I will install and melt the ends of the rod so it stays in place.

On my walk around SML I use a 1 to 4 power Leupold with see thru mounts and a ghost ring mounted in front of the scope on a pic rail. The front sight need to be tall so I machined one. I could have used a factory ramp and sight but I didn't have the time for the research.
The rifle is a break open NEF 12 ga converted to 45.

DSC_0669.JPGDSC_0674.JPGDSC_0676.JPGDSC_0680.JPG

Last edited:
I have two ML'ers set up with XS ghost ring peeps and their post front sights. One is an October Country .69 Great American Sporting Rifle and the other is a homemade Rigby stocked sporting rifle with a Green Mnt 1'' octagon .45 cal 1-18" twist barrel. The XS ghost ring is mounted on the barrel just in front of the breech plug which is no problem on either barrel because of the barrel wall thickness.

Does that Williams Firesight Ghost ring fit on Octogen TC barrels or can you order one that does?
I prefer to shoot peep sights on all my guns since my Army days.

Does that Williams Firesight Ghost ring fit on Octogen TC barrels or can you order one that does?

They make them to fit both Octagon & Round Barrels :lewis:

The thing with a TC is that they changed up the rear sight bolt spacing a few different times. I don't remember the supposed exact spacing, but when looking for my William sights they advertised two different spacing patterns, one just over an inch for the real early TC's and then another spacing around 3/4" for the rest of them...Renegades anyway.
Mine was supposed to be the 3/4" spacing, but my rifle was actually a hair more than that. After putting one bolt in the sight the second one was just a tad shy of matching up to the other threaded hole in my barrel. I ended up slotting the base of the sight so I could get the second bolt in.

The thing with a TC is that they changed up the rear sight bolt spacing a few different times. I don't remember the supposed exact spacing, but when looking for my William sights they advertised two different spacing patterns, one just over an inch for the real early TC's and then another spacing around 3/4" for the rest of them...Renegades anyway.
Mine was supposed to be the 3/4" spacing, but my rifle was actually a hair more than that. After putting one bolt in the sight the second one was just a tad shy of matching up to the other threaded hole in my barrel. I ended up slotting the base of the sight so I could get the second bolt in.

They definitely did, But only 1 time. The OLDEST of Old Renegades have very Short spacing between holes

3 Old TC Renegade Sights, 3 Different Variations
VtC9OFH.jpg

Here you can see the Lower Sight, the OLDEST OF OLD, it has a much shorter Hole Spacing
Jl9yTkv.jpg

Even though the Sight changed in length, the Whole spacing is the Same, on Variation 2 & 3, The ONLY ones you need to pay close attention to is the Oldest ones, They seem to be Fairly Rare, out of ALL of my Renegade Barrels, and Rifles, i only have 1 of the Old Narrow Hole Spacing
70OKubN.jpg

Here’s another way to Spot the OLDEST Narrow hole Spacing Rear sight, It’s the one on Top here, the rounded/hump front, The other Short sight is more ”Blocky/Square” And it has the Regular Hole spacing like the Longer, later version Sight
g3IpvmY.jpg

Thanks for the reply and info.I will have to check out the Williams sight , I have one for the Renegade
Thats made by RMC.
I prefer the ghost ring and like it mounted on there or near the tang. Best way to use a peep sight.

I have a set of the Williams ghost ring sights on my Renegade.
This set: williams ghost ring sights for TC - Bing images
The ghost ring peep mounts in the rear factory sight position. The front is a round red fiber optic. I find this setup to be great for low light hunting, but not great at all for trying to shoot small groups on paper.
It would be a much better setup overall if the front fiber optic was green and about half the size. From my experience bowhunting I know that green shows up much better for me than red in low light. Yellow is a close second to green. The Williams front F.O. comes around a .060" size, I think .030" would be much better for doing both hunting and target shooting.
I'm going to try to build a small front F.O. in green. I've already gotten a green F.O. rod that is .029" diameter. Now I need to pick up a front 3/8 dovetail blank. I will then have a local machine shop drill a hole through the very top of the sight blade for the ..029" F.O. rod, slot a couple spots open on the top of the blade so the F.O. rod can gather light, and then I will install and melt the ends of the rod so it stays in place.
You may like this front sight. I put one on one of my Renegade barrels. It has a .040'' fiber optic rod.
https://rangerpointstore.com/fiber-optic-front-sights

Seems like the issue with the globe sights are the low light conditions. I did see these recently in fleabay. Could be worth a shot to see if they make them in a dovetail mount. Looks like it has a fairly thick stem tho so I am
Not sure how precise you would be able to get them

Attachments

• 4A106438-99F1-4CFA-B86B-7DB1CD44C282.png
    4A106438-99F1-4CFA-B86B-7DB1CD44C282.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 17
They definitely did, But only 1 time. The OLDEST of Old Renegades have very Short spacing between holes

3 Old TC Renegade Sights, 3 Different Variations
VtC9OFH.jpg

Here you can see the Lower Sight, the OLDEST OF OLD, it has a much shorter Hole Spacing
Jl9yTkv.jpg

Even though the Sight changed in length, the Whole spacing is the Same, on Variation 2 & 3, The ONLY ones you need to pay close attention to is the Oldest ones, They seem to be Fairly Rare, out of ALL of my Renegade Barrels, and Rifles, i only have 1 of the Old Narrow Hole Spacing
70OKubN.jpg

Here’s another way to Spot the OLDEST Narrow hole Spacing Rear sight, It’s the one on Top here, the rounded/hump front, The other Short sight is more ”Blocky/Square” And it has the Regular Hole spacing like the Longer, later version Sight
g3IpvmY.jpg

I knew I'd jack up the way the spacing differences.
Mine has the shorter sight with the square front. My Renegade is from somewhere between '80-'82, so not one of the real early ones.
What's weird though is that my sight didn't line up. Either Williams messed up when they drilled the sight, or TC messed up when they did my barrel.
I've read comments from other folks that claim TC wasn't exactly precise with the hole spacing. Not that they necessarily changed it on purpose, but more that they seemed to have some templates that didn't precisely match each other?

Latest posts

Back