Which sights for hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is something i have spoke about here before, and stil would love to try one. The larger Globes, Like Lee Shavers P-H Series, and the Lyman 20 MJT, These are a MUCH Larger Diameter Globe than the little 17 Series that i use. These Larger Globes should be Much better in Low light, it only makes sense that they would be. You would have a MUCH larger Field of view. I really need to get one of these some day and try it

This is Lee Shaver’s P-H Series
Ra6NZZq.jpg

And here is the Lyman 20 MJT beside the little 17 Series like i use, BIG Difference

jvienwI.jpg
What's the functional difference between these two?

I was talking to another forum member via pm and it got me to thinking what is consistently a bigger issue out if light and distance and what is more easily remedied.

Really 200 yard shots come up more than low light shots and if I'm anticipating a low light afternoon hunt I can just take my scoped rifle.

My experience with Lyman 57SML or similar peeps and finer front sights is almost zero. How have you found them for quick sight acquisition? Im thinking scenarios where deer pop up at close range or moving through trees.

Edit: I should add, I'm leaning this way over a fibre optic for the simple reason that I've never been able to find one fine enough to hunt well with at ranges greater than 100y

Last edited:
Functional, They would be the Exact same, The 20 is just MUCH Larger. Lee Shaver Makes fine BPCR inserts for the 20 Series Globes (Same as i use in my 17 Series Globes) The Much larger 20 would have to let more light in, and obviously give a Much larger field of view, But fact is i have never tried one so I don’t have ”Hands on” experience with them? I keep saying i am going to try 1 on a Hunting Rifle, I need to do it

Lee Calls his P-H Series. His are all the Same .550 Height, With Different Dovetail sizes. Most American Rifles are .375 Dovetail, And Rifles like Lyman, CVA are Euro Dovetail which is .360
http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/p-h-series/
Here are the Fine BPCR Inserts for the 20 Globes, These will Fit the Lyman 20 MJT as well as Lee’s P-H Series
http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/lyman-20-and-anshutz-front-sight-insert-card/

What's the functional difference between these two?

I was talking to another forum member via pm and it got me to thinking what is consistently a bigger issue out if light and distance and what is more easily remedied.

Really 200 yard shots come up more than low light shots and if I'm anticipating a low light afternoon hunt I can just take my scoped rifle.

My experience with Lyman 57SML or similar peeps and finer front sights is almost zero. How have you found them for quick sight acquisition? Im thinking scenarios where deer pop up at close range or moving through trees.

Edit: I should add, I'm leaning this way over a fibre optic for the simple reason that I've never been able to find one fine enough to hunt well with at ranges greater than 100y

The Larger 20 Series is gonna be Bulky compared to the little 17s, But on a 1“ Octagon Muzzleloader Barrel i think they Would look, and Fit well

As I’ve said before, The real KEY for me is the Fine inserts in the Globes (Lee Shaver insert Cards) These Globes and Fine BPCR inserts are what allows me to shoot Peep sights as well as i do, Lee Shaver inserts are SUPER FINE compared to the Stock/Factory Lyman inserts that come with the Globes, there is NO Comparison!! I can actually Hold on a Pop Can at 100 Yards and stil see it with a Shaver insert. You simply can NOT do that with the Stock/Factory Lyman inserts, or a Regular Bead front sight, They cover up the Hillside :)

Functional, They would be the Exact same, The 20 is just MUCH Larger. Lee Shaver Makes fine BPCR inserts for the 20 Series Globes (Same as i use in my 17 Series Globes) The Much larger 20 would have to let more light in, and obviously give a Much larger field of view, But fact is i have never tried one so I don’t have ”Hands on” experience with them? I keep saying i am going to try 1 on a Hunting Rifle, I need to do it

Lee Calls his P-H Series. His are all the Same .550 Height, With Different Dovetail sizes. Most American Rifles are .375 Dovetail, And Rifles like Lyman, CVA are Euro Dovetail which is .360
http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/p-h-series/
Here are the Fine BPCR Inserts for the 20 Globes, These will Fit the Lyman 20 MJT as well as Lee’s P-H Series
http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/lyman-20-and-anshutz-front-sight-insert-card/

Thanks mate, you're always a wealth of knowledge.

Two things I definitely do not give a plus for when it comes to Pedersoli is detailed information on their website about guns and parts, and secondly their terrible customer service.

Can't find any reference online about the dovetail size for the rifle I'm getting. Once I can I might have to give Less Shaver a call and see what he reckons. Finding a Lyman peep looks like a challenge at the moment, even trying to get one from the states. I did see one here but they want $300 for it, hoping for better.

Thanks mate, you're always a wealth of knowledge.

Two things I definitely do not give a plus for when it comes to Pedersoli is detailed information on their website about guns and parts, and secondly their terrible customer service.

Can't find any reference online about the dovetail size for the rifle I'm getting. Once I can I might have to give Less Shaver a call and see what he reckons. Finding a Lyman peep looks like a challenge at the moment, even trying to get one from the states. I did see one here but they want $300 for it, hoping for better.

I replaced the front sight on my Pedersoli Hawken Hunter and am 99.9% Sure that it was a .375 Dovetail (American) I just now found a small Brass Bead, it HAS to be the one I replaced on my Hawken Hunter, it measures .375 :lewis:

BACO Carries the Shaver P-H Series (20) Globe, This is the Correct .375 Dovetail
https://www.buffaloarms.com/lee-sha...nt-sight-with-spirit-level-inserts-lsph550375
BACO also Carries the Lyman 20 MJT
https://www.buffaloarms.com/20mjt-lyman-globe-front-sight-700-high-7-8-dia-lym3201150

Between the 2 Front Sights above (Lyman vs Shaver) The Shaver is a Little Nicer sight, it has a Built in level that is nice for Long Range Shooting, it measures .550 Tall. The Lyman doesn’t have a Level in it, and is Taller at .700, They are both made of Steel. I like the Shorter .550 Height of the Shaver Sight. You will need to measure the Front sight Height On your Pedersoli Rifle, And then purchase the Closest Height Globe you can get to it. You will want to Shoot your new Rifle First, My Old Pedersoli Hawken Hunter Factory Bead was to Tall to get a 100 Yard Zero, i had to replace it with a Shorter Bead

Which Pedersoli Rifle did you end up going with?

There’s also an air rifle globe sight that can use a fiber optic insert... I’ll look around and see if I can find a picture.

hah! Here they are... I may just get one and see if it could be adapted for the 20mjt...AAAB240F-53FD-47C8-8E75-4977EC08B3B2.jpeg10051A10-1D81-4EE8-9A13-E25DBC432825.jpeg

Last edited:
Between the 2 Front Sights above (Lyman vs Shaver) The Shaver is a Little Nicer sight, it has a Built in level that is nice for Long Range Shooting, it measures .550 Tall. The Lyman doesn’t have a Level in it, and is Taller at .700, They are both made of Steel. I like the Shorter .550 Height of the Shaver Sight. You will need to measure the Front sight Height On your Pedersoli Rifle, And then purchase the Closest Height Globe you can get to it. You will want to Shoot your new Rifle First, My Old Pedersoli Hawken Hunter Factory Bead was to Tall to get a 100 Yard Zero, i had to replace it with a Shorter Bead

I think the less bulky the better so would rather the Lee Shaver, but i guess we're also guided by what works.

I ended up getting the Missouri River in maple. It is still maybe 6 weeks away. I was hoping to have the new sights waiting for it because of the long shipping times from the states. Might just have to wait until it's here to get all the measurements first.

Another question I've wondered, if you change out the inserts does the zero hold within reason or completely throw it out? I was thinking if it stays relatively the same I could have a thick post for hunting bush and finer one for fringe hunting.

Last edited:
There’s also an air rifle globe sight that can use a fiber optic insert... I’ll look around and see if I can find a picture.

hah! Here they are... I may just get one and see if it could be adapted for the 20mjt...View attachment 12915View attachment 12916
Too bad they don’t make the sight to fit dovetails that would fit on Hawken’s and Renegade ‘s

The kids, wife and I all have sore throats and runny noses so I'm taking the day off work to get a covid test. Thought I'd make use of my time and phoned Lee Shaver. Very nice guy and super helpful, he suggested trying the PH sight for better field of view and a little better light transmission.

I'll call Pedersoli Australia to see if they can confirm the dovetail size. I didn't notice different sight heights on the website? What do we do about that?

I was planning on getting the PH sight for the extra light and better field of view, but noticed they only come in one height .550

Is it worth grabbing it or should I really be holding out to measure the front sight in case it is too low for the lyman 57 at the back?

I was planning on getting the PH sight for the extra light and better field of view, but noticed they only come in one height .550

Is it worth grabbing it or should I really be holding out to measure the front sight in case it is too low for the lyman 57 at the back?

I missed this, Sorry about this LATE reply my friend

I would wait til you get your Rifle and Shoot it, That will tell you EXACTLY what you need, It would be a Bummer if you bought a High Dollar Shaver PH Series sight and it wouldn’t work for ya

I think the less bulky the better so would rather the Lee Shaver, but i guess we're also guided by what works.

I ended up getting the Missouri River in maple. It is still maybe 6 weeks away. I was hoping to have the new sights waiting for it because of the long shipping times from the states. Might just have to wait until it's here to get all the measurements first.

Another question I've wondered, if you change out the inserts does the zero hold within reason or completely throw it out? I was thinking if it stays relatively the same I could have a thick post for hunting bush and finer one for fringe hunting.

The inserts are all Centered ZERO, You can flip through them and Shoot whichever you desire :lewis: I go from Circles to Beads Regularly

The kids, wife and I all have sore throats and runny noses so I'm taking the day off work to get a covid test. Thought I'd make use of my time and phoned Lee Shaver. Very nice guy and super helpful, he suggested trying the PH sight for better field of view and a little better light transmission.

I'll call Pedersoli Australia to see if they can confirm the dovetail size. I didn't notice different sight heights on the website? What do we do about that?

Lee Shaver is a Good Guy :lewis: He has given me ROCK SOLID advice that i use Every time i Cast Bullets, and Shoot my Rifles

I missed this, Sorry about this LATE reply my friend

I would wait til you get your Rifle and Shoot it, That will tell you EXACTLY what you need, It would be a Bummer if you bought a High Dollar Shaver PH Series sight and it wouldn’t work for ya

All good mate.

I spoke to IdahoRon and he mentioned using a shim for the rear sight. My only concern at that point is having to raise my head off the cheek piece too much. If I have the elevation to get out to 300 yards I'd be happy, 500 yards and I'd be rapt.

hah! Here they are... I may just get one and see if it could be adapted for the 20mjt...View attachment 12915View attachment 12916
Here ya go. I had ordered some miscellaneous pieces to put together a while back. Filed down some of them to make them fit. I used some super glue to hold things in place for extra security. Have not shot with it or field tested yet. Will have to do some more redneck engineering to shim up my Lyman 57 peep sight. Might cut a piece out of a solid aluminum block I have laying around to make a one piece solid shim. So far I really like the sight picture looking thru the peep. The green fiber rod is extremely easy to see and does not cover up the target.
Not sure how well things will work, but I should have fun trying.th.jpgthu.jpgthum.jpgthumb.jpgthumbn.jpgthumbna.jpgthumbnail.jpg

Latest posts

Back