Which sights for hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go back and read the first entry after you started this thread. #2

The fiber optic front and a ghost ring is my best chance of seeing my target in low light. Keep them as far apart as possible. If you have a red fiber optic, try to find someone who can show you the difference. My Pedersoli has the small gold bead. When I can find the correct size front sight with the green fiber optic, I will make the change. For now, I have painted the gold bead bright white.

In low light I would use XS Ghost Ring and their front post hands down. The problem is trying to get a sight combination that performs in all light conditions is impossible. There will always be compromises to be made. Lewis said he is willing to give up first and last light to use what he uses.

Last edited:
Seems like the issue with the globe sights are the low light conditions. I did see these recently in fleabay. Could be worth a shot to see if they make them in a dovetail mount. Looks like it has a fairly thick stem tho so I am
Not sure how precise you would be able to get them
If you have a 22mm globe sight you may have something that will work. The problem with globe sights like the Lyman 17 is that the tube restricts light. This accessory would probably give you a bright dot but you might not be able to make out the target under low light conditions.

Do you get that glow-in-the-dark paint at a craft or hobby shop? I would like to try that on my Pedersoli gold bead before I give up on it.

Do you get that glow-in-the-dark paint at a craft or hobby shop? I would like to try that on my Pedersoli gold bead before I give up on it.
Lots of places sell it. This is called Bright Sights. Not sure where i got it. I mix the glow in with the green for a good color.
Several different colors and glo-in-the-darks.
16089617863676945117428182743111.jpg

I found the Bright Sights at Dixie Gun Works. A kit with several colors, thinner, and brush is cheaper than ebay items. Thanks.

I will mix a few other things in on the order to help pay off the shipping charge. This is also cheaper than trading out my gold bead front sight.

I found the Bright Sights at Dixie Gun Works. A kit with several colors, thinner, and brush is cheaper than ebay items. Thanks.

I will mix a few other things in on the order to help pay off the shipping charge. This is also cheaper than trading out my gold bead front sight.
I put it right on the gold dot on my Marlin. I like its steel hood and didnt want to take it off. Dixie may be where i got it too. Cant remember. I also did the front ramps on my ROAs. The green stands out more during the day but that glow adds a little extra at dusk.

One thing that is not often discussed when considering sites, is the "site radius". The further apart you can place the front and rear site the better the site radius is and the more precision your aiming can be. It does not change accuracy of your gun, but aids in aiming precision. That is why I have always placed my rear peep site in the tang or breech area of my muzzleloaders. Even my custom flintlock has a 1836 rear peep copy postioned on the tang area.
That is also why my recent purchase was an Accura V2 in the LD model. That extra 3 inches of barrel over the standard version can certainly help aiming. This of course has little to do with the kind of front site that works best in low light, but is still part of the overall challenge of deciding what sites to chose.
I have encouraged friends who have installed peeps, but positioned them in the normal rear blade position, to move them to the tang or breech area. A different model is usually necessary of course. But- that increase in site radius has added benefits to their results.
Here is Washington State we cannot use scopes and I intend to try the new Williams Western site combo-(when it is available again) to asssit in longer range shooting.
Other opinions here?
J.R. (Anatone Hunter)

Last edited:
I apologize that I mentioned my Accura V2 in the post that is about traditional muzzys. But at least I refererenced my flintlock. LOL
Maybe I need to bring up this subject about site radius in the inline section..
Cheers

Last edited:
Yea that Bead is the Size of a Baseball :oops:

Yeah I'd bloody well say so hey!

I think I'll get a Lyman 57SML for the back end just need to sort the front. Have you ever seen anything like that front sight with a finer bead?

Does anyone have an email for Lee Shaver? I can't find one on the website and I wanted to ask about the large PH globe front sight Lewis mentioned to see how it would perform under different light conditions.

Does anyone have an email for Lee Shaver? I can't find one on the website and I wanted to ask about the large PH globe front sight Lewis mentioned to see how it would perform under different light conditions.
Lee doesn't like email. Just call him, he answers the phone "This is Lee"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back