Which way does the pin go in?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSR

Reaction score
I recently picked up a TC New Englander which needed some work.  The trigger group was rusted.  I had to knock out the pin to remove the trigger from the housing in order to clean the rust off.  After cleaning the rust off the trigger pivot pin, I noticed that the pin was splined(I needed a magnifying glass to see the serrations.).

What I need to know is which way does the pin go back in after I finish removing the rust from the rest of the trigger housing (guard), and pin hole? 

Right to left? or Left to right?

Use the magnifier to see which side has the serrations that the pin goes into.

I always thought it was "right to left", however, I just looked at my Investarm and CVA sidelocks and both are different.  :shock: I recommend going to the T/C website like Bob suggested and click on "Contact Us" link.  Their service number is 866-730-1614 or better yet click on their e-mail link and send them a quick note.  I've done that several times and they are very responsive.
I just looked at a bunch of images of New Englanders and also one for sale on another site and most all are right to left.

Muley said:
Use the magnifier to see which side has the serrations that the pin goes into.
I tried, there aren't any serrations to see.

Smokin' Joe said:
I always thought it was "right to left", however, I just looked at my Investarm and CVA sidelocks and both are different.  :shock: I recommend going to the T/C website like Bob suggested and click on "Contact Us" link.  Their service number is 866-730-1614 or better yet click on their e-mail link and send them a quick note.  I've done that several times and they are very responsive.
I just looked at a bunch of images of New Englanders and also one for sale on another site and most all are right to left.
40fa2c4a-ec11-4a2a-9c82-b01b8dbeee35_zpsung4hijf.jpg
Smokin'Joe - Thanks for the response, but I was asking regarding the pin holding the trigger in the housing.  Not the wedge pin, regarding which your correct in pointing out that it goes right to left. 

Smokin'Joe & patocazador - Thanks for the contact information.  I guess that's probably the best way to find out.  Hopefully, S&W kept the TC people that know how these things work.

If the serrations hold the pin in tight in both directions it may not matter. Try it both ways and that may tell you which way it likes best.

I wouldn't have much faith in TC knowing. I think the smart TC guys are gone.

As far as the wedge key going in, I always put it in left to right so the sharp end won't dig into my hand. I don't think it makes any difference.

I think they show it on the right side most often is so the gun will look pretty in the photo with the flat side on the same side as the lock.

It's just as tight both ways. I usually put a slight bend in mine to tighten it a bit more if it seems loose.

I don't own a Lyman so it could make a difference with them.

Not sure how it can make a difference unless it's the way the parts fit together. Maybe the torque of shooting will loosen the wedges in one direction more than the other. Just guessing.

I called up TC/S&W at their current customer service phone number: (866) 730-1614, and got in touch with the Thompson Center division, and luckily spoke to a customer service rep who knew the answer.  He told me: "the trigger pivot pin goes in right to left, the serrations go in first".

Good deal.

Next time pay attention when you take stuff apart.   :clown:

Muley said:
Good deal.

Next time pay attention when you take stuff apart.   :clown:
Good advice! Actually, I usually take pictures as I disassemble things.  This seemed like such an easy job, that I didn't bother. I forgot the rule about the easiest jobs usually turn out  to be the hardest.:slaps:  

When I knocked out the trigger pivot pin, it didn't seem like there were any serrations under the rust.  The only reason I checked with a magnifying glass, was that when I was cleaning the pin with steel wool, it kept on feeling rough even after the visible rust was off.  I thought that I missed a small rust spot so I used the magnifying glass to see if I could spot it.

At least you didn't sand off the serrations. If you did I would have had to give you one of these........ :tongue:

Latest posts

Back