Who shoots with Felt wads?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
With the shop coming along nicely, I have been thinking about producing my own lubed felt wads. I am pricing material and tools that I would need, which includes a press for removing excess lube. BUT

How many of you actually use a lubed felt between between the patch/powder charge or even under a conical bullet?

I don't want to get to ahead of myself and end up with an item I can not move out fast enough.

Common calibers will be 50 & 54 with the possibility of a 58cal felt wad.

These wads would be lubed with Frontier's Anti-Rust & Patch Lube.

I use them in my smooth bore, and .58's.  I have found that a lubed felt button under the patch round ball reduces the patch shredding on a few of my antique guns with pitted bores.  It also tightens up the groups.
You might consider un-lubed felt buttons of various bore sizes, that way the user can lube the buttons if he/she desires.

Have found the very same thing, Jack Gardner wrote about this years ago in a Dixie Gunworks Catalog. Thanks for the reminder Grimrod.  :study:    :Red tup:

Im also considering offer a much thinner 1/16" felt wad to for those that do not need the typical 1/8" wad.

FrontierGander said:
Im also considering offer a much thinner 1/16" felt wad to for those that do not need the typical 1/8" wad.
Get your butt in gear and start crankin' this new product out ...... :cheers:

I will be updating to machine powder as my neck is killing me after doing 200 of these the other day. This would take way to much time and muscle using manual labor and certainly would not be worth the price.

Hopefully by early next year I will be in full production.
img_0220.jpg

I use felt wads in my .72  over the powder, the bore is a little rough so it makes it easy to load in the field with a wooden ramrod. With the 4 dram charges of ffg you can feel the rifle torque up between your hands so I reckon the wad and patched ball are really gripping the rifling.,I will try some greased felt wads in a .62 original Baker style sporting rifle,  the rifling is ver deep in that rifle.

FrontierGander said:
Shoot Buck, those are almost as expensive!
Get the used ones. They're free.

I have never used felt wads. I do have some 50 cal wads I was given. They looked dried out so I got an ice cream stick and dabbed a little pat of Crisco on them and placed them on a plastic lid off a can of peanuts. Then I microwaved them about a minute and the Crisco melted and was soaked into the felt.

The next time I go shoot I am going to try some REAL bullets in my 50 cal with and without the wads and see if it makes a difference. I would not of thought of using the wads with the bullets if I hadn't read your post and article in the Backwoodsman magazine. I have always shot the bullets with just lube wiped on them and hit what I aimed at. But if it makes the groups better then nothing wrong with that.

I can't say if it would be worth making them to sell or not. Me being cheap like I am will probably just buy a couple of wad punches and make my own. On the other hand buying them premade might be a better idea since I mainly shoot PRB most of the time. I have 150 wads on hand now. It will be a long time before those are shot up.

FrontierGander said:

Have you tried the thinner wads behind one of the Lee REAL bullets before?

burlesontom said:
FrontierGander said:

Have you tried the thinner wads behind one of the Lee REAL bullets before?
No, I have not tried the thinner wad yet.

I did however make a bunch of .50cal wads today in 1/8". Tomorrow I will look at the .44-.45 cutter and make sure the diameter is correct and punch a supply out. Hoping my new bags are in by next week.
img_0221.jpg

Not 100% sure on price yet, but it will beat any other sellers price out there. Standard 100 per pack.

I just got 200 hundred from track of the wolf for 5.95 per 100 and they were lubed

I checked the site and didnt find anything at that price. 50cal pre lubed shows up at 9.29

Back