Who shoots with Felt wads?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay thats a good thing actually lol! We will still come in under that price even when lubed. Although I seem to get a feeling that most want them dry?

Did a test run of the .36 & .44-45cal wads today. They seem to be perfect and over sized for a nice snug fit! Be a while before I get to them, just so much on the table at the moment.

I am using .44-.45 wads now and for the first time. 

I paid way too much for the first 2 packs of 100. I did not shop around well. I do not remember the exact amount I paid. I just remember thinking, "My God! I could have bought tampons for that!" (See Buck's post about slicing up Tampons for wads or this joke looks really weird.)

Put me down for an order of lubed, please. 

PS... For the record: After writing this, I discovered I am not comfortable with the words 'tampon' and 'lube' in the same post- even in an innocent fashion!

This may be the weirdest post I have made. :alien:

:lol!: yeah kinda makes you feel funny doesnt it?

I'll let you know when they are available KC.

I use felt wads in my BP cartridge guns and in my cap and ball pistols but i don't think they'd work real well in my rifles.....

They'll work in rifles. I use them in my rifles with patched round ball and with conical bullets. Mostly flat based lead conical bullets.

I use them in my smoothbore Howdah pistols. I've been thinking about trying them in my smallbore rifles.

FrontierGander said:
They'll work in rifles. I use them in my rifles with patched round ball and with conical bullets. Mostly flat based lead conical bullets.
So you load the powder, then the wad then the PRB in a rifle and they shoot okay?

Mike in Oz said:
FrontierGander said:
So you load the powder, then the wad then the PRB in a rifle and they shoot okay?
Yes exactly. The wad fills the rifling and protects the patch. Super helpful when using large amounts of powder.

Works really well with small bores and large amounts of powder like 55-60 grains in a .36 caliber. That load makes them whistle like a .22 Hornet or a Zipper.

FrontierGander said:
Mike in Oz said:
FrontierGander said:
Yes exactly. The wad fills the rifling and protects the patch. Super helpful when using large amounts of powder.
Huh. Who'd have thunk it....

I use them in all my .50,.54 rifles with prb and the .44 revolver. All the rifles are more accurate with wads vs without.

I like to buy them dry and lube with TOW mink oil. You would definitely have a customer base, especially the revolver calibers.

Just an update, but I currently am going to start offering prelubed wads in 44/45 caliber. I have 7 bags of prelubed wads in those calibers ready to go. The 50 & 44 - 45 cal wads are selling hot and fast. I will have them up tomorrow in my classifieds area.

Latest posts

Back