Who shoots with Felt wads?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/4" IMO would be way to thick. Considering a revolver has a smooth cylinder bore, they do make a difference in accuracy, plus they are great for over the top of the ball to help prevent chain fires. Cleaner than putting lube over the balls.

1/4" IMO would be way to thick. Considering a revolver has a smooth cylinder bore, they do make a difference in accuracy, plus they are great for over the top of the ball to help prevent chain fires. Cleaner than putting lube over the balls.
Thank You i should get some and shoot this thing

Attachments

• 81682025_10221462228414814_6137910064469508096_n.jpg
    81682025_10221462228414814_6137910064469508096_n.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1
What about felt shotgun wads ?
I do sometimes. They go down a tight bore easily but probably not the best for sealing. Stick a shotcup style wad on top of it and works great for me. Haven't seen much in the way of plastic fouling.

Kind of late to the party so to speak, but I shot an EIGHT bore rifle for years, standard load was, 250-270 grains of 2F,hand made felt or wool wad 1/4" to 1/2" thick, patched
900-1000 grain ball, most of the wads where stamped out of left over cowboy hats, and fedoras, then doubled up

I would buy them from you once they become available. I always use 1/8" Felt Wads. I've found that using a larger size than what your ML shoots works best. E.g. for a 45cal ML I use 50 cal Wads. For a 50 cal I use 54 cal Wads, etc etc.

Kind of late to the party so to speak, but I shot an EIGHT bore rifle for years, standard load was, 250-270 grains of 2F,hand made felt or wool wad 1/4" to 1/2" thick, patched
900-1000 grain ball, most of the wads where stamped out of left over cowboy hats, and fedoras, then doubled up
You're never late to the party, as long as the party is still going...🎯

Have never used them in a long gun but have seen others use them at National Matches. I have used the wads in pistols - modern and muzzleloaders trying to make a non-shooter a better shooter, just takes time for the right combination.

time.moves.jpg

I used to use felt wads. Some people make it a lifetime quest to buy the right felt weatherstripping, old hats, etc. Too much work - I'd rather spend the time out shooting.
For C&B revolver wads, I use toiletpaper with a tiny bit of beeswax/tallow lube folded up inside. It compresses nicely and loads quickly & keeps the bore cleaner than no wad at all.

thats a real bullet and due to the super over sized loading band at the top, it wouldnt slide down the tube. I think those are around .512" at the top band.

When deer hunting, I normally use an op (usually felt) wad. I don't often bother with them when reloading.

Back