Who to convert Encore to smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeL

Reaction score
I emailed SMI but they stated that they do not do stainless muzzleloader barrels and only will use Douglas barrels. That puts me in a dilemma since I want a stainless barrel. I hunt by the ocean and if it's not stainless it will rust by looking at it. I could get it coated, I like the extra confidence of stainless.

Is there anyone else who will do a smokeless muzzleloader barrel for an Encore? Or go with a custom muzzleloader barrel maker for the Encore like Bullberry? For $450 plus the cost to cerakote I might as well sell my Encore and get a NULA.

I converted my Encore Pro Hunter to smokeless !

I sold my stainless Pro Hunter ML barrel and forend and purchased a stainless Pro Hunter 338 Federal rifle barrel and forend ! Now it shoots smokeless and I got a Savage 10ML :wink:

6pt-sika said:

I sold my stainless Pro Hunter ML barrel and forend and purchased a stainless Pro Hunter 338 Federal rifle barrel and forend ! Now it shoots smokeless and I got a Savage 10ML :wink:

He is not talking of a center fire barrel but a ml barrel to use smokeless powder in rather then bp or sub. If not done right its a explosen right at your head. :shock:

forest said:
6pt-sika said:

He is not talking of a center fire barrel but a ml barrel to use smokeless powder in rather then bp or sub. If not done right its a explosen right at your head. :shock:

I realized that I am not an advocate for the Encore and thats why I said what I said !

6pt sika,
Are you on the Eastern Shore? I got a couple of Sika on my wall but haven't hunted them in a few years. As you know, early muzzleloader is the best time to do so.

MikeL said:
6pt sika,
Are you on the Eastern Shore? I got a couple of Sika on my wall but haven't hunted them in a few years. As you know, early muzzleloader is the best time to do so.

No sir I live in central VA ! But I go to the Blackwater each year for a day of ML and a day of shotgun .

Killed a nice 6 on a tract we leased from the state in 1999 and killed a real big 6 on the Blackwater the first day of their shotgun hunt in 2005 . This past year on the early ML hunt I missed a nice 6 at about 125 yards ! I still think about that one !

MikeL said:
6pt sika,

I am thinking the perfect ML for Sika deer would be a Savage 10ML rebarreled to 45 caliber . Shooting the Hornady 200 grain SST and pushed with 60-62 grains of H4198 !

But then I'm pretty sure a smokeless ML is not legal in MD !

Smokeless is legal in MD. They are going to try to change the wording to better represent it next year.

My buddy has a couple of spots down in the Blackwater area that holds some real nice Sika. He's been trying to get me to go but I just haven't had the time. I think I'll go this year because the itch is back.

I have a really nice 4pt that goes close to twelve and a ok 6 that goes just over 11. I'm looking to find one that goes 13+ this year. That's when they really start lookin good.

The 4pt was a love/hate situation. I was sick and coughing up a storm when I saw him coming by. There was a bigger one behind him (and something was behind that one) but it never showed himself for a good shot. Of course, I had another cough coming up and it was either shoot the 4 or get nothing. I let my friends dad go there the rest of the week. He missed a HUGE six, twice! He got so excited he said he couldn't see straight.

He passed earlier this year but he got to hunt right up to the end. Shot a nice whitetail last year. It was sad. I think he knew it was his last hunting season because he cried when they found it. This was not a man to cry easy. The son still tears up when he tells that story. Another love/hate situation.

MikeL said:
Smokeless is legal in MD. They are going to try to change the wording to better represent it next year.

I'm glad to hear that !

Because the 6 point Sika I missed last year was shot at with my Savage 10ML 50 cal . Was shooting the Hornady 250 SST with 42 grains of VV N-110 and a CCI209M .

Latest posts

Back